ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 31,461
Route advice please - North West Colorado this weekend.

To not pollute pfb's Index thread too much...

So this Saturday through Monday or Tuesday I'm going to explore North West Colorado. I've been to Rangely (from Rifle) and Steamboat but never beyond either. I'm looking for advice; worthwhile detours or route modifications while I'm out there. Also looking for camping suggestions or important notes like "no gas in xxxxx".

Using nwcolorado's recommendations my current tentative plans are as follows:

Saturday - Carter Lake/Horsetooth Res./Vernes for Breakfast, over Poudre to Walden and then to Delaney Lakes.
Flyfishing and camping with D-train and CJ Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning.

Sunday - head up to Hahn Peak north of Steamboat. Back to Steamboat and then out to Dinosaur via 40 through Craig. Up and back on Harper Corner Road in the park (?? I can't find this road on the map - does it have another name?). Then north west to Flaming Gorge Utah - camping somewhere around there?

Monday - Back to Craig and then north to Baggs and up over Battle Pass. Then down to Kings Canyon (what's that?) and then Walden/Rand/Granby/Winter Park / Oh My God Road and Peak to Peak to home. Depending on time I might camp near Kings Canyon and then finish up Tuesday.

Question: is there a way from Flaming Gorge to Baggs without retracing through Craig? - I'm on a 1976 BMW R90/6 with street tires... I enjoy dirt roads on it but nothing that's going to shake it to pieces as the old shocks aren't in the best of shape.... I would also rather retrace through Craig then go up to I80. Interstate's are against my religion. If there isn't I'll go through Rangely and Meeker on the way back to Craig to mix it up.

Here is a full size google map of what I'm considering:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,1.056747&z=11

...any input/advice is really appreciated.

Also: if anyone feels like joining me, please feel free.. I'm just going to be puttering along enjoying the views

cheers!
Edward
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,609
Question: is there a way from Flaming Gorge to Baggs without retracing through Craig? - I'm on a 1976 BMW R90/6 with street tires... I enjoy dirt roads on it but nothing that's going to shake it to pieces as the old shocks aren't in the best of shape....

-on your other route down the White River from Rangeley is a nice ride, you could go up towards Trappers Lake out of Meeker as an out to the end of the pavement and back or you could go all the way back to Craig, but there is about 40 miles of gravel. It is a good road though.

You could head north from Flaming Gorge to I-80, to Cresent Jct and down to Baggs.

If you can handle a 15 mile section of gravel county road. Flaming Gorge to Browns Park, via CLAY Basin, then 318 to Craig. This takes you through the Browns Park area, Gates of Lodore, Jarvie Historical. I have the county road numbers at home if you are interested.

The Harpers Corner Road is the road from the visitors center in Dinosaur to the Overlook down on the confluence of the Green and Yampa Rivers.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Thanks for moving it nw

I like the sounds of option #3. I've done Rangely to Meeker before (great road) and I despise interstate... so your recommendation from Flaming Gorge to Browns Park via Clay Basin and then 318 sounds awesome

15 miles of Gravel .. no problem.. hell I'd ride 200 miles of gravel if it wasn't too much washboard (the 33 year old suspension packs up really quick on washboard and then its more like surfing than riding).

any idea how far that is (so I can judge fuel).
If you can get me the county road numbers tonight that'd be great.

I don't have a GPS and I don't usually carry a map.. but I do scribble things like names/numbers on a piece of paper so I can ask locals once I'm lost
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Does this look like about it?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...70eaae61ed8be4

Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Thats it. They have been paving it. not sure how far they have gotten. You could inquire at Dutch John, or someone here on ADV should know also.(Eakins) If you go that way, neat stop at the Jarvie Ranch. It is a BLM historic property.
Then at the Wildlife refuge in Colorado, go down to swinging bridge, just a short section of gravel.
Also if you are up for a short walk, about a mile one way, I can tell you how to find the "Medicine Wheel" in Browns Park. Just pm me. It is a Freemont indian stone wheel used for ???
If you need anything I am just North of Craig.I am a mile out of town above the radio towers the right side of the road.
Norm
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,212
Geek: Kings Canyon is what the old train depot was called when there was a spur to Walden back when there were coal mines & logging. Not much camping there, as it's all private ranch land. We can hash out altenate routes over beers by the campfire.
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Looks like after Kings Canyon I'm going to be heading up into the Snowy Range cuz Mark says its 'da bomb.

Mark's coming too
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,262
Awesome! I'll be up there in a few weeks. I've always wanted to keep going on the road out of Maybell (get gas there no matter what) but I haven't been past the river. There are some righteous dirt roads out that way, but I don't want to ruin the place with bikes...
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Geek OP
oot & aboot

ok.. here's the new revised route (starting and ending at the mouth of the Poudre and now including the snowy range):

Question for anyone that knows:
See how I routed through Dinosaur (click google link and zoom in) - is this paved?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ae61ed8be4&z=8

Geek screwed with this post 09-24-2009 at 12:13 PM
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Also: if anyone knows the Flaming Gorge area - is there any "must see" places around there or any camping suggestions?

I saw on a website you can camp on the beach.. might be fun.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Dysco: Our current planned fly fishing stops include:

1) On the Poudre near the bridge at the top
2) Delaney Lakes
3) On the Yampa in Dinosaur
4) in the Flaming Gorge

- we're open to more good fly fishing stop ideas too
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Dysco: Our current planned fly fishing stops include:

1) On the Poudre near the bridge at the top
2) Delaney Lakes
3) On the Yampa in Dinosaur
4) in the Flaming Gorge

- we're open to more good fly fishing stop ideas too
Not much except fishing in the Yampa at Dinosuar. Cats and the endangered fishies. If you want some PRIMO fishing, the Green at the Jarvie Ranch and just below the Gorge.
These work great on the Green
  • Small scuds, olive, gray #18-22
  • Para Adams #18-22, Griffith's Gnat #20-24
  • Glo Bugs, San Juan Worms, pale orange, pink, red
  • Tungsten Zebra Midges 16-22 black, red, gray, brown, RS2's and WD 40's grey, olive or wine #18-24 as droppers
  • Attractors in 8-12 sizes, such as Rio Grande Trudes, etc.
  • Crystal Cicadas, or most any Cicadas pattern #8-10
http://www.redcanyonlodge.com/fish_report.html
Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,835
ideas after steamboat.
-take the browns park rd 318 (paved & dirt) from maybell, co to flaming gorge then drop down to vernal (191) and then 40 east to a left on 165/blue mtn rd/miner draw rd (it's in utah, north of 40) and this road crosses into colo & Ts into the road into dinosaur (harpers corner).
take harpers corner to the echo park rd

drop down and camp at the river/echo park.

come backout via echopark rd & then harpers corner to 40 (or left on country rd 16 dirt to elk springs)
OR my choice from echo park take the bench rd to elk springs
it's the dirt road shown running parralell just below the yampa river.
if you take the bench rd make sure to stop at the harding hole overlooking.
ride in, park and walk about 5 minutes to this

alternatives are to camp at gates of lodore. take the 30 minute hike (at the back of the campground) to the gates

another alternative from brown park area to jenson/vernal area is swinging bridge. that dirt road goes up an awesome windy dirt canyon and then the paved road (jones holes rd) down is twisty motard like w/ killer views. you would bypass flaming gorge but this is more fun anyway.
this is the dirt section heading before the paved jones rd section

so to recap my recomendation
-maybell, co - gas
-brownpark
-swinging bridge & canyon
-jones holes rd towards jenson -gas
-miners draw rd
-harper corner (ride out to the end & take a look)
-echopark rd
-camp echo park
-yampa bench rd
-elk springs > maybel

this would be the quintessential Dino NM loop.
elk springs has no gas. there is also gas/store in browns park at the brown park store, which is on the right just pass the 2nd gates of lodore entrance rd.

http://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvisit/maps.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 09-24-2009 at 01:00 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

[

another alternative from brown park area to vernal area is swinging bridge. that dirt road goes up an awesome windy dirt canyon and then the paved road down is twisty motard like w/ killer views. you would bypass flaming gorge but this is more fun anyway.[/quote]

This one was in TERRIBLE SHAPE last sunday. MASSIVE rutts and mud holes. It is a great ride, but if wet it is just about impossible without good knobbies.