ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,988
I noticed you decided on that reliable CRF230 instead of your XT

Have you been staying in hotels/motels? or are you aslo doing some camping?

BTW: both the black and red fonts are hard to read.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
Nearly impossible for me to read as well. I have to "block" the text in order to read it. White text would be best, and a little smaller font so scrolling left to right isn't necessary. Other than that, I'm enjoying your RR. Looks like fun and the scenery is great!

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
AKASY OP
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Update for 10 Aug 2009--Last of Idaho and Wyoming

Concensus seems to be that I need to use white for the font--so here it is. Left Island Park and headed south on the main road--encountered the only bear of the CDR trip--big black bear crosses the road in front of me, gone before I can get stopped and get the camera out, most likely just as well. Then on to the CDR which immediately took to an old rain bed--very interesting riding in loose packed gravel\pumice, enjoy the pics of it below it ran for almost 30 miles:

The rail bed ran above the river at the end and dropped down to it at the very end.

Somewhere along the rail bed I found this "diversion" who could pass it up--CRF climbs well

From the rail bed the route runs over dirt roads between Teton and Yellowstone Parks--generally good riding but watch out for other vehicles.
Yes I had some rain especially later in the day as I made my way toward Dubois (you don't get all the way there) and turn south across the mountains to Pinedale--it was wet and rainy with climbs across the mountains.

From Pinedale it is a long haul across 240 plus miles of the Wyoming Basin to Rawlins the only ?town? is Atlantic City with no gas. If you need gas it is a 23 mile oneway divert to Lander from Atlantic City\South Pass City. I think the pics speak for themselves on how desolate it is out there. From Atlantic City to Rawlins I wnet 160 miles without seeing even an old building.

http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt239/akasy/?action=view&current=P8090016.jpg" target="_blank">[IMG]

AKASY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,549

Great report.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #20
AKASY OP
Noob

XT vs @#)L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
I noticed you decided on that reliable CRF230 instead of your XT

Have you been staying in hotels/motels? or are you aslo doing some camping?

I just didn't want to do 2500 miles of kick starts considering the number of stops for photo ops! Camping with some help, if I was on the bike only then I would be moteling.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,217
There are 4 different themes avail, 2 dark, 1 drk grey & 1 lt grey.

The best way to ensure that you can read the text is to not change the color- then the theme's colors will be used.

Or use whatever you want -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #22
AKASY OP
Noob

Latest Update on the CDR ride

After a night in Rawlins I headed south toward Steamboat—still more straight roads but all of a sudden the mountains come into view and trees pop up—riding gets better with aspen groves, pine and twisty roads.

Got a bit worried as I made the turn off of 70 toward Steamboat and the sign said road closed in 16 miles. I was running low on gas and could not toss 32 miles but I chanced it and found the road did make it thru. Did see sheep herds on the way along with more cows, deer, antelope and other criters.

Out of Steamboat I got run off the side of the road by a young lady that took her part down the center of a one lane road—immediately followed by another one who did the same thing!
Riding got much better as you can tell by the pictures—rough, rocky, twisty and enjoyable.

One deep stream ford appeared—must have been 18” deep by my wet leg—bike went thru just fine.

Long climbs and descents followed as I made my way to Kemmerling Co for the evening.

Kemmerling to Salida was next and some of the ride was enjoyable--but I can do without the trip thru Dillon and Breckinridge--great mountain riding north of Dillon

Then the climb out of Breckenridge up across the pass on apparently an old rail bed to 11500 feet

Then down the other side into Como for lunch--

Lunch

Then some fast paced stright back roads

Yet another water crossing-- not as deep as the earlier one

Then up and down the mountain into Salida

230L is running fine--even at nearly 12000 feet--MT21's are great on dirt and gravel--but wearing like the first set, rear will be done at 2500 miles. More later.....
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
Astir
Adventuress

Oddometer: 195
Loving it! Glad you are getting in some dirt and water crossing. I was surprised with your experience in Canada.

Thank you for taking the time.
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #24
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
Great report Sy! Keep it coming!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
AKASY OP
Noob

Yet another update--tired of them yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
Up and out a bit later from Salida as I was only going to Del Norte and then divert for a short visit to South Fork. A bit of paved road time was in order coming up out of Salida to Ponca Springs but traffic was light. I had three or so passes ahead of me for the day and some paved roads in addition to the start. I got two crossing of the Divide and maybe more but they generally are not marked but two were today. The riding is generally on wide gravel roads with easy access and clear views—I’m a bit disappointed in the route as far as I’m concerned it certainly needs more one lane and single track and a LOT LESS pavement—however I understand that it was laid out for bicycles and they may not share my views.
Pulled 13 or so miles up the first pass to just over 10,000 feet—great roads and views.

Coming down the other side I ran into four guys from the Bay Area that were riding the CDR—one had had a flat and they were just finishing up—I saw them off and on for the rest of the day. Next up was Cochetopa Pass with a marker!

Some very nice side roads offered themselves up but time was not there to take diversions into areas that I did not have mapped out.

Still a lot of old buildings showing up and I’m amazed that given the weather they still survive.

Carnero Pass was next and as usual it was good riding going up and coming down.

Finally after a great lunch at La Garita—I would recommend it and they have gasoline too! It was time to head on south—and what do I find but the best riding of the whole trip! 2200 or so miles and I find 8 or so miles of real fun—enjoy the pics

Old 08-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #26
AKASY OP
Noob

More for those not totally bored to this point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
From South Fork to Del Norte and then on to Abiquii is the plan for today—but awoke to rain and cold—did not bode well for the ride. My apprehension was confirmed as I got to Del Norte and rejoined the track. The roads were wet and somewhat muddy and it only got worse from there—rain continued but not hard and the cold mist and clouds hung in the air. It seemed like a long ride down to highway 17—and it was but the roads while a bit muddy were still bearable. A few pics should suffice:

As I hit 17 I again found the four guys from the Bay Area and they accompanied me to the turn off for the NM portion off of highway 17. At this point I have completed the entire CDR as I rode and reported on the NM portion back in June. I decided to reride some or all of the NM portion just for fun. At this point I completed the entire CDR with no incidents, accidents, failures or other FU’s. Good thing I had…as the five of us discussed the Chama to Cuba section in the cold rain and looking at a muddy track to the south. They decided to go to Chama and have lunch—a wise decision. Me—well I’m not too bright and decided to head out across the Brazo’s Plateau since there were no thunder storms!

It got worse early:

Then worse got really bad:

From there it was only down hill:

As I did in a slow, maybe 4 mph tip over. I was riding the center line with washouts on either side—that worked well thru maybe 5 miles but in the last 200 feet of these the front tire slid off one side when the center muddy section became rounded and not flat.

For a brief respite I dropped down toward highway 285 and I decided how much worse can it get between here and El Rito—not a correct thought—it did get muddier.

Now this stuff was sticking to everything—and the little 230L was struggling to turn tires, pull me and go uphill. That final section of mud really beat me down and I was worn out by the end of the day—luckily no more spills.

And there was more before this mud would let loose of me!

After a night in Abiquii I was ready to go again and hoped that the mud was gone between Abiquii and Cuba and especially from Cuba to Grants—an area I know well. While not totally mud free the forest had improved drastically and I was finding mostly just mud puddles with numerous deep four wheel ruts that were not drying and harding—creating those ruts that grab at the front knobbie. Or the exposed rocks with mud—nice:

Then there was the one that apparently had too much confidence in front wheel drive.

As you can see I was encountering many mud puddles with long dry stretches between where I would reach my normal cruise speed of 35-40. I was breaking hard for the puddles—down to 5mph or so. Good thing too, breaking hard for one in a turn I see movement to my right and an elk as big as a cow emerges from the woods at full gallop (agile as a deer) and right across the road on the other side of the puddle—sorry no pics I’m not that good. Good thing I brought my 22” chain saw—just kidding

From the woods it was on to the Rio Puerco badlands between Cuba and Grants—they had dried amazingly well and as you can see the real challenge was the ruts and a few areas of mud still in play.

Take a look at how bad the roads have eroded from the apparent heavy rains. Ran into a bicyclist doing the ride and he had stayed in Cuba for three days awaiting for the mud to clear—smart guy.

Tomorrow will be on to Silver City in a long run.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #27
AIC_Rooster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Huh. That car is still there. Mark and I found it last weekend. I forgot to call the cops about it. Appears to be a stolen joyride ending in a stranded smashed car.

Matt

New Mexico Riders Unite! www.nmdualsport.org

'06 KLR650
'00 DRZ400
AIC_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
AKASY OP
Noob

Riding to the border.....

Off from Grants NM reasonably early with a plan—eat at Pie Town, get gas at the automated pump at Old Horse Springs and then press on across the Gila Wilderness to Silver City NM. Out of Grants the roads are good—but straight—from Grants to the Gila. Just south of Grants you pass thru the Malpais National Monument—some excellent scenery.

You guessed it Pie Town not open when I went thru—that means no food until Silver City and when I get to the automated pump—not working—arghhhh. Two places to eat in Pie Town—out of luck so I pressed on to Old Horse Springs.

I had put on my Kolpin 1.5 gal and a 1 gal plastic gas can I had along plus one of my fuel bottles. A quick calculation at Old Horse Springs showed I would have about .5 gal left after crossing the Gila Wilderness and getting to Silver City. For those of you who don’t know the Gila—in the middle you are 35-40 miles from nowhere. Redid my calculations and pressed on—given I had struck out twice already on food and gas I guess I was feeling lucky.
Neat old building—school house?

The Gila has some great riding and great views—also some you don’t want to see.

At the end of the Gila just before you hit highway 35 you are—according to the map—riding the road along the Continental Divide for a good distance—not sure how close this picture is but it was the best I could estimate on my map.

Then just outside of Silver City you encounter the mine—you would need a wide panoramic view to see just how big and deep this mine has become…..

Yep made it into Silver City with gas to spare—if you consider less than .5 gal gas to spare! Tomorrow a revisit to the border. Just as I arrived at Silver City the CRF230L rolled 6000 miles, started the ride with 3200 so that is 2800 miles to date and about 125 to the border tomorrow. I’ve had some side excursions so my mileage is above the posted length of the route.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #29
killstrees
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
mud

looks like things got a little western out there on you in that mud...
killstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #30
AKASY OP
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by killstrees
looks like things got a little western out there on you in that mud...
Yea I guess that was NM welcoming me home! I've ridden that area before and know it reasonablly well--there must have been a real gully washer on the mountain the day before--