ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #31
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
Yea I guess that was NM welcoming me home! I've ridden that area before and know it reasonablly well--there must have been a real gully washer on the mountain the day before--

I know exactly where that hill is. Drove up that lots in my truck while bow hunting for elk. Helped a guy pull up a horse trailer on that hill one time while muddy.

Nice report!
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #32
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,570
CDR solo ride....

Sy, I agree with Slojoe, the black font is way easier to read, keep up the posts & pictures!!!

magoo
burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #33
AKASY OP
Noob

Oddometer: 2,122
OK last day is Silver City to Antelope Wells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo
Sy, I agree with Slojoe, the black font is way easier to read, keep up the posts & pictures!!!

magoo
Silver City to Antelope Wells was the final leg—only about 125 miles but really desolate and a whole lot of blacktop. On the way out of town I stopped at the local KTM shop—it is really a MOTORCYCLE SHOP—not a mega-dealer selling farkles, t-shirts and doodad’s for over hyped bikes. I really miss this type of shop where they know the bike and RIDE them. If you are in Silver City I highly recommend that you stop at Copper Country ATV & Cycle--a KTM shop and talk to Dave—the owner—and a Baja Nut! If you need help with a bike—any kind while on the CDR in that area, I would suggest you give him a call at five seven five five three eight eight nine zero three.

There is a short run of dirt called Separ Road—which goes to—you guessed it Separ. Only problem is that there is nothing at Separ except a tourist shop that does not sell gas. Just after Separ you ride the final bit of dirt which is a side road to I-10 and the dirt only runs for a few miles—

Went on to Hatchita where I had previously found gas and a little shop—still there but closed—no indication of why. The final leg of the CDR is—on pavement—kind of foreshadowing if you left from the south—about 45 miles of nothing to the border.

My summary of the CDR, easily done on a 250cc-really a 223 or so cc—could this be the smallest bike to make the entire route? Any challenges? Camping cabins, hostels, motels, B&B’s are all along the route—camping if you prefer. It is a gentleman’s (generic not male specific) ride in that there are VERY few challenging sections and way too much pavement. I would estimate that there is 65% dirt or gravel and 35% pavement. Of the dirt and gravel only 10% or less really held my interest—and then only when the weather made it interesting. Somewhere around 200 miles per day seems to be a good average with some adjustments for lodging and food etc. I enjoyed the ride and the scenery was excellent and you do get to see a lot of the back roads of America. Got two weeks—do the ride but don’t over hype this as a trail ride (which I consider a significant amount of single track —it is a dual sport tour most suited to lightly\moderately loaded bikes with appropriate knobbies—my MT-21’s which are 90-10 rated, and now worn out! Hope this posting has provided some insight into the ride and some enjoyable pics.

AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #34
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,247
Great report Sy!! I very much enjoyed following you along the route.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #35
ducnet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Nice...

Thanks for taking the time to post this RR.
ducnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #36
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIC_Rooster
Huh. That car is still there. Mark and I found it last weekend. I forgot to call the cops about it. Appears to be a stolen joyride ending in a stranded smashed car.

Matt
we did that ride from NM to WY starting july 5.
that's the weekend the rainbow family gathering held their convergance.
we stumbled into the middle of it, what a show/zoo. cars were slid off the road all over. one had for sale sign that said as is where is...
that car was there, fresh then. probably some stoned out hippe thought he could $w a compact, realized, and left it.....
they really trashed the place, as they tend to do.......
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #37
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 25,917
Fantastic RR.

Thank you for sharing with us.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #38
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Cool. Thanks for posting and it was nice to meet you in MT. Glad my bad advice didn't get you soaked on that water crossing! ;)

YOu had more mud than I did. I did skip the section on Brazos ridge due to mud and t-storms that day. Didn't want to chance it on my fully loaded KLR, and looking at your pics, glad I didn't!

Thanks again and ride safe!
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
AKASY OP
Noob

Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
Cool. Thanks for posting and it was nice to meet you in MT. Glad my bad advice didn't get you soaked on that water crossing! ;)

YOu had more mud than I did. I did skip the section on Brazos ridge due to mud and t-storms that day. Didn't want to chance it on my fully loaded KLR, and looking at your pics, glad I didn't!

Thanks again and ride safe!
Enjoying your ride report in the other section--looking forward to the next installment. Hope you are able to get all those--expendable items--fixed or replaced!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #40
alberta bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
Not a clue but I will switch colors when I post the next update.
Thanks
white is the best . nice pics

Sabre
"The point is, you can survive. I did, and I'm no superhero. I'm just a man, full of faults and poison and sadness and hatred, full of joy and fears and pain and happiness, full of love for my fellow man and my kids and unfortunately not enough for myself, but I'm learning."
alberta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #41
racknack83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
sweet ride report!! i also have a crf230l and was wondering about its touring ability. sound like i will be able to make it just fine.
!!!
racknack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #42
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,534
Great Pictures...

Divorce Sale
merickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #43
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,962
Akasy, Great report, nice pics too. The 230 looked like it did well on the trip, hard to beat the reliability of an aircooled Honda. What was your longedst stretch w/o fuel miles-wise and was it the area south of Grants NM. I'd like to do the NM portion but I've only got about 160~180 mi range.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #44
AKASY OP
Noob

Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Akasy, Great report, nice pics too. The 230 looked like it did well on the trip, hard to beat the reliability of an aircooled Honda. What was your longedst stretch w/o fuel miles-wise and was it the area south of Grants NM. I'd like to do the NM portion but I've only got about 160~180 mi range.
I've ridden the NM portion all the way twice. Assuming you fuel up in Chama and go up 17 to the CDR the next gas is El Rito--I get AROUND 120 on my main and another 40 or so reserve--highly dependent on my right wrist and how much high speed highway. Chama to El Rito was no problem. Next gas is a short hop at Abiquii if you so desire to top up. Next gas is Cuba again no issues for me. Cuba to Grants comes close to my max but was doable as I didn't push it. Now the hitch leaving Grants south you hit Pie Town--no gas--then Horse Springs--no gas then into the Gila to Silver City. I got gas at an automated pump about 4 miles east of where the CDR crosses 12 in June--but in Aug the pump did not work. With a 160 range you are going to need to figure out a solution for yourself for this leg. I carried extra gas and had no issues--to each his own. From Silver City to Antelope Wells is another issue--most likely you can make it to Antelope Wells but not back--not a good thing as there is nothing between Hachita and Antelope Wells. There was gas a Hachita in June but again closed in August--again I carried extra with me. So the two legs where I had the most gas problems were Grants to Silver City and Silver City to Antelope Wells.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #45
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Curious why you skipped Lava Mountain Trail and the Fleecer Ridge sections if you thought it was too easy?
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote