Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #31
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Interesting thread here.I've been riding motorcycles for 47+ years now. I have three right now:2006 HD Sportster XL883; 2007 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet; and my 2007 Yamaha XT225. We just bought my wife a new, leftover, 2008 SYM HD200 scooter(her second scooter-first was a 2005 Honda Metro traded it for the SYM at 3500 miles). Sunday I rode the XL and she rode her SYM on a 150 ride from our home in Puyallup, Wa., to Sunrise up to Mount Rainier.Man, was it gorgeous up there. Speed limits on Hwy 410 are no higher than 50-55 mph.Her scooter had zero problem with thoses speeds. I easily could have taken my Yamaha XT225. That highly underated motorcycle will cruise at 50-65 mph.If I hold mine to 50 mph, it will return 94-95 mpg.Even at higher speeds it will get 85+ mpg. Since my wife decided she won't ride on the back anymore, I don't need big power. We're still trying to figure out the SYMs gas mileage.Last tank was about 90 mpg. I did the research and test rode an HD200 (she didn't want to do the test ride) and thats the one we chose.My only negative on the SYM is no kick start lever.Since you can't push start a "twist and go" scooter, it could be a problem. But then I've bitched about the lack of kick starters n motorcycles for years (being 55 years old-thay all had them when I started riding). My Sportster returned 59.6 mpg on our Sunrise run.Not bad.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #32
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennmoto
been checking in here for months, and studying and test rides when possible. I want a scooter bad after riding several;aprilia bv250,Sym hd200,Zuma 125,burgman 650.
I still need to save money to do it, but meanwhile I,m just dreamin still.
I think so far I would get a Honda Helix,burgman 400,Sym or Kymco 250.
I like your testers and I like your short list. It is likely to come down to availability, price and ergonomics and choosing the best fit for these parameters.

What is the primary use?

What types of roads are you likely to use? urban/suburban/rural highway?

Will you want to tour on it?

Do you two-up?
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #33
Barnone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Hey Birdmove,
FYI http://symforum.com/index.php
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #34
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
........My only negative on the SYM is no kick start lever.Since you can't push start a "twist and go" scooter, it could be a problem. But then I've bitched about the lack of kick starters n motorcycles for years (being 55 years old-thay all had them when I started riding).........

Jon
Dad used to complain about automatic transmissions being unnecessary..........

You'll be fine without the kick lever.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #35
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
If you're only going to be riding where you've got cell phone coverage I could see forgoing a manual transmission and kick starter. Riding in remote locations without cell coverage without manual transmission or kick starter would make me nervous. Just last year I had a battery go dead on my Goldwing in a remote location. If it weren't for the ability to push start the bike (yes you can push start a Goldwing but it's not easy) I would have had to walk many miles.

I still have the Goldwing which I use for a couple long trips every summer but the most fun riding is exploring unpaved back roads and trails on my little Lifan 200cc dual sport bike. The Lifan gets used for everything now except long road trips.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdway
Dad used to complain about automatic transmissions being unnecessary..........

You'll be fine without the kick lever.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #36
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth
... If it weren't for the ability to push start the bike (yes you can push start a Goldwing but it's not easy)
...It only took a 1/4 mile downhill slope!

Enjoy! Laugh! Have Fun!
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
petez1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Variety is the spice of life. Just picked up the 6th current toy. A 74 RV90 suzi. A rough hack for beach bashing. Currently fitting a tow bar for a small trailer to carry our "Kontiki" fishing rig, or the chilli-bin trailer, or the canoe.

Really need a bigger garage?

78 z1000, the tourer.( and my baby)
Moto martin z1000. the scratcher.
82 GPz750, the commuter. ( surplus to needs, too much the same as the two above...)
89 XT600 Tenere, the new commuter with weekend adventures....
97 KDX200, to hurt myself on.
plus spare parts and workshop in a single car space... A bit cramped at the moment

At least I don't have my mates problem of hiding 13x bikes from his missus. Oh well, she never goes into the garden shed
petez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
Displacement means very little to me, with a few exceptions. I have a 1500 Goldwing, a 750 cruiser, a 225 dual sport bike, 2 125cc scooters, and a 150cc scooters. It's more about whether I like the particular bike that matters to me. However, I would not want a 650 dual sport bike. Simply too big for a trail bike, and less comfortable on the highway than a road bike. The 225 is a perfect trail bike. The 150cc scooter is a Stella, and I don't consider it reliable enough for long trips, which is my favorite type of road road riding. That leaves the two 125s, and while I really like them, it would be nice if they were at least 150cc, to make them freeway legal. I don't ride on the freeway much on scooters, but sometimes you have no choice but to ride on the freeway for a short distance to get where you are going.

I have owned 46 bikes, from 50cc to 1500cc, and enjoyed most of them a lot. About half of them were bought new, and they were all 750cc or less, due to the high price of new large displacement bikes. I paid $2000 more for my new 750cc cruiser than I did for my used 1500cc Goldwing.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,632
I also went up, then down the displacement ladder. My first bike was a KZ400. Then I went through a few larger bikes until I owned a Yamaha FJ1100 and Venture 1200. I rarely took the FJ1100 for a ride without running it up past 100 at least once, 147 was the highest I saw on the speedo. Then I started down the displacement ladder by replacing the FJ with an EX500 and later replacing the Venture with an R1100GS. The R1100 was my last large bike and now my largest bike is a KLR650. Overall, the smaller bikes I have owned tended to be the most fun. I doubt I'll ever get anything over 650cc again.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #40
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
going up? or down?

this was a fun read!

I do not if I am finish going up the latter, maybe is that I do not have money for bigger bikes, so I do not look up!

Have gone to dealers of multiple brands (where I bought my KLR now is a dealer for all 4 japs + triumph, Ducati, Victory, Sym and Can am?) I am 36 so I still like speed but I don't drive fast nor stupid (some people do fast but not stupid, and some very stupid and dangerous)

Curently I have a 650 KLR and this is the biggest, but since that purchase I then bough a 250 Honda Tornado and now have a 100 cc scooter, and if I do not buy a 650 better 2 up bike I am thinking a 125 zuma or a 150 Cargo or 150 Bros (both from Honda). I look at the Vstrom 650 and like it, then I look at the 1000 strom and ask myself "why pay more if I will get the same?" I know the extra speed but if I buy that bike is for better 2 up, I do not care for going 130-140 mph 2 up! not even solo. Then I consider how many times will I really do 2 up? in 2012 we did a whopping 2 days of 2 up! and yes 1 day was a killer 300 miles of back roads and twisties but that is it, 1 day!

This year I have ridden the big bike 2-3 times and yes they are longer days, and every other day I ride my scooter, for many reasons, mpg, lower cost and the fact that it is so much easier to take out and handle.

Damasovi
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #41
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
most of my big bikes had a reason to be big, like the Goldwings and large cruisers. The single exception was a '93 Kawasaki ZX11, bought used, with a lot of miles on it. But it was still plenty fast. Claimed top speed was around 170. It came close. I did a couple of top speed runs with it, out in the middle of nowhere. Had I been caught, I would have gone straight to jail, paid a huge fine, and lost my license. There is no reason for a bike to be this fast. Even if you like going that fast, you can't do it on the street. And at street legal speeds, it was a pig. Big, bulky, and heavy. It felt more awkward than a Goldwing because it was more top heavy and had less front end rake. It was an exercise in overkill, as are all of todays large displacement sport bikes. And to top it all off it was uncomfortable. Kawasaki sold a lot of them, just because of their image of being the fastest bike out there at the time. I notice a lot of people choose large sportbikes based on their acceleration and top speed alone, without even considering handling, which to me is what sportbikes are all about. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I can no longer ride sport bikes of any kind, due to my age and severe arthritis. I now like scooters and smaller cruisers. I would need something to step on to even get on a KLR650 any more, I can't get my leg over the seat.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote