Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #2611
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
S

It's not what the mark is about. ]

FWIW, a Marque is a company that manufactures automobiles. A Mark is someone who goes to an auction looking for a cheap Porsche.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #2612
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
FWIW, a Marque is a company that manufactures automobiles. A Mark is someone who goes to an auction looking for a cheap Porsche.

I knew I had it wrong...

Dumb shit I am...

(I'm gunna go edit that now)...
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #2613
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
What's the collective think of this?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...725230806.html

GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #2614
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,143
I don't think that 914 will ever be worth less than that unless someone screws it up somehow. Looks like a nice inexpensive way to join the vintage Porsche club. If it turns you on, buy it - there's little risk there.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #2615
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post

I think it will be awesome with a V8 swap .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #2616
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post

\

It reads like a nice car. As the poster above says, if it is as advertised, it shouldn't be worth less at any time in its future. I'd have to put eyes on it before I stroked the check.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #2617
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,069
I have a friend who's owned a 1966 912 since new.. His son recently wrote into Porsche NA and was able to have them issue Certificate of Authenticity for the vehicle....Had it done as a Bday gift, pretty neat.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #2618
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
since we are on the topic of 914's

cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2619
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
I have a friend who's owned a 1966 912 since new.. His son recently wrote into Porsche NA and was able to have them issue Certificate of Authenticity for the vehicle....Had it done as a Bday gift, pretty neat.

I should do that or get my Dad to do it. He is the original owner of a 1965 356SC Cabriolet bought when we lived in South Lake Tahoe. I was just a few months old. Parents used to heat my bottle with the car heaters on long trips.

As a kid in the 70's it was the car for ski trips, chains and all, trying not to scratch the back window with the ski poles that fit in between the front seats.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2620
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
A couple of years ago, Excellence magazine did a feature on a 3.2 Carrera with a half million miles on it. When its engine was disassembled, all wear items were found to be within allowable Porsche limits, so it was cleaned and reassembled. It had been owned by a San Diego dentist.

RichardEW on the Rennlist has a 993 that has accumulated just under 300,000 miles. His engine is original.

It seems though, that when you look at high mileage cars, they almost always belong to people who use them on long, regular, driving cycles.
The reason it is surprising to me is in reference to the inherent issues with the '75 - '77 2.7 Liter cars (That is what that copper colored car appears to be ).

Rather than list them all here is a link from the PCA detailing the numerous issues ( read to the right of the green Targa) ;

http://www.pca.org/Panorama/HowToBuyAnEntryLevelPorsche/Buyinga19741977911.aspx

That doesn't mean that it is impossible that one of those cars went 500,000 miles with no issues - but it would be very surprising.

That also does not mean they are not good cars - once the many issues are sorted out they are rather nice - a friend here has a '77S Targa that has been running flawlessly for almost 15 years - since he took the engine apart and addressed all the potential issues.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #2621
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

Those COA can be a crap (as in shite) shoot.

I know many instances where guys with early cars received them to find their cars came equipped with [much] later models options.

Which wouldn't be SO terrible, except that they charge around $ 100.00 for it.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #2622
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
check this out ... $2000 for a Porsche LiFePO4 battery
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=435

interesting ... Porsche's LiFePO4 spec's ... 12.8v 18AH 480CCA ... 12" Long, 6 3/4" Wide, 4 1/2" Tall .. Weighs just under 12 pounds according to retailer optional battery for 911 GT3 and the Boxster Spyder.

this is the first OEM that I'm aware of that has offered a LiFePO4 battery as a factory supplied option. even if it's for exotic Porsche models.

Does anyone know of any other mfg that's offered an LiFePo4 battery as origin equipment?

it's important to point out, despite the $2,000+ selling price. Porsche has decided to use actual amp hour ratings. not the PB/EQ rating that can lead to installing wrong size LiFePO4 batteries. which then results in failed LiFePO4 at the first sign of cold weather and unhappy customers.

------------

"The lightweight battery offers a very high standard of everyday driving qualities but its starting capacity is limited at temperatures below 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C, due to its specific features.

With its nominal capacity of 18 Ah, the lithium-ion battery offers a level of practical output and performance not only comparable to that of a 60 Ah lead battery, but better in many cases. As with all Porsche batteries, a genuine Porsche Battery Maintainer is recommended for vehicles which are stored for over two weeks. ~

The lithium-ion battery being introduced by Porsche as the pioneer in this area is made up of wound film of carbon and iron phosphate with a ceramic film moisturized by the electrolyte that serves as a separating layer in between. Compared with other types of lithium-ion batteries that use a combination of manganese oxide, cobalt oxide or nickel, this lithium-iron-phosphate battery, as it is called, offers advantages when used as a starter battery. It is robust and consistently guarantees the usual voltage of 12 V for the car's on-board network.

The lightweight battery is made up of four cells and integrated electronic controls. This battery management system protects the battery from major discharges and guarantees a consistent charge level within the individual cells. Once battery voltage drops below a certain threshold, a warning signal reminds the driver to re-charge the battery either simply by driving the car or by means of a conventional battery charger."

------------

Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #2623
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
since we are on the topic of 914's
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #2624
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
check this out...the lithium ion battery...Cy
Uh, no thanks.

Quote:
This battery management systems protects the battery...
Yeah, right....
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #2625
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Question buy a 1974 911?

OK I have a question to the knowledge base. I have a chance to buy what looks to be a pretty sweet 74 911. It has an 'S' engine installed but otherwise standard, complete history low mileage, less than 100,000 KM. If I get serious about the car I'll have a pre purchase inspection done, but here's my real question. I had in mind a late 80's 3,2 for my first (only?) 911. I have one of those on my radar too but the condition is not as sweet and has higher miles. Do I stick with looking for a 3.2 ( I have a limited budget) or do I go with what appears to be a pretty cherry 74?
Thoughts..
thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: