Originally Posted by Brink
You are one funny guy with a rich imagination
We all have to dream.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #62
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,241
I've had a 914, 944, 944T, 928, a Boxster and a 911. I "worked my way up" to a 911, thinking it would be the ultimate Porsche for me. I was actually a little less than thrilled with it. It certainly was a fantastic car, made beautiful noises, and looked great. But, as a daily driver, I'll take the 944T.

The 911 sure was great looking, though.

I'm not sure if it's been posted before, but this is a cool "build your own vintage Porsche" website.
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #63
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,637
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #64
stunt clown
Spaztic

Oddometer: 368
Al Holbert was my hero in the 80's

A pessimist is never disappointed.
stunt clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #65
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt clown
Al Holbert was my hero in the 80's

+1

I miss the IMSA days of old.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #66
stunt clown
Spaztic

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
+1

Indeed!! It was my first exposure to live racing at Road America.

So much fun to watch.

A pessimist is never disappointed.
stunt clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #67
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
+1

Ditto, and the golden days of Trans-Am. It was great watching Hurley, Peter Gregg, Milt Minter, Bob Sharp, Paul Newman at Lyme Rock.

Being at the Glenn and seeing Jackie Icx flying down the main straight in the Martini and Rossi 935 BEFORE the chicane was put in....bloody fast!

There is truly something about the bark of a normaly aspirated Porsche 6 in racing trim.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #68
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,941
Turns out its possible to force water into the cold air intake of a 944 by driving in water about 6" deep. It'll get past the filter. Then about 2 weeks later, it throws a rod through he case.

This was 1993, in a '90 944.

Left on the lease, $28K.

Blue Book value, $13K

Engine replacement cost, $13K. Head Mechanic at Tampa Porsche said, in a thick German accent "ve don't build submarines".

Insurance company totaled the car.

I still owed about $13K.

On the other hand, the 914, bought in '74, made it to '94, when the rear suspension finally rusted off the frame.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #69
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
So if a guy was interested in finding himself a 944, what should he look for/look out for? Obviously stay away from one's that have been sitting, don't run, and need major stuff. But from the experience of you guys that have owned the cars what else? Are these cars finicky? Are they money pits? Are maintenance parts hard to find, or ungodly expensive? ie clutch, breaks, and tune up parts. Are the 944's a car that big guy's can drive comfortably? 6'5" 275?

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #70
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee
So if a guy was interested in finding himself a 944, what should he look for/look out for? Obviously stay away from one's that have been sitting, don't run, and need major stuff. But from the experience of you guys that have owned the cars what else? Are these cars finicky? Are they money pits? Are maintenance parts hard to find, or ungodly expensive? ie clutch, breaks, and tune up parts. Are the 944's a car that big guy's can drive comfortably? 6'5" 275?
They are totally big guy appropriate. I am 6' and 400# and fit in my '87 just fine.

Let me say this very clearly, listen closely. Buy the newest, cleanest, most expensive 944 you can find. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. You save some $$ up front by buying one with some issues, but resolving those issues will cost you much more than if you just bought a good one from the start.

That said, my 944 has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Granted, I take very good care of her and watch her closely, but she has been great. Parts availability and pricing is no problem. Ebay is a remarkable source for restoration parts. Clutch parts are not too bad, but installation is a bitch. If you have the time (read: not your daily driver), it is not that hard with all the available on line instructions, but it is quite detailed. I think it pays a shop near 8 hours labor, so a do it yourselfer on jack stands figure twice that.

944's are getting rare enough that when I do take her out for a drive, she draws quite a bit of attention. Handle fantastic, right out of the crate, and with just a few mods, can send many a 911 back to the shop in the curves.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #71
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
They are totally big guy appropriate. I am 6' and 400# and fit in my '87 just fine.

Let me say this very clearly, listen closely. Buy the newest, cleanest, most expensive 944 you can find. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. You save some $$ up front by buying one with some issues, but resolving those issues will cost you much more than if you just bought a good one from the start.
Sasquatch, what are your thoughts from a reliability/ service cost/ home mechanic maintainability (sp?) perspective (realizing that the home mechanic in question may not be as skilled as you):

1. Is it worth stepping up to a 968 from a 944?

2. Turbo vs. non-turbo?

3. S or S2 vs. 8 valve 944?
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #72
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
Sasquatch, what are your thoughts from a reliability/ service cost/ home mechanic maintainability (sp?) perspective (realizing that the home mechanic in question may not be as skilled as you):

1. Is it worth stepping up to a 968 from a 944?

2. Turbo vs. non-turbo?

3. S or S2 vs. 8 valve 944?
A 944 Turbo had an engine life expectancy of about 35K miles.

The motor costs $15K (in 1995).
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #73
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
A 944 Turbo had an engine life expectancy of about 35K miles.

The motor costs $15K (in 1995).

That might be a stretch. My 944T had 155k on it with only 1 turbo replacement and never opening the engine itself. Ran like the proverbial scalded cat, with a few choice goodies like a chip and exhaust. Mine was very reliable, and made a great daily driver. I regret selling it to buy my 911.

But yes, if you are shopping for one, look for a well maintained, enthusiast owned car. My order of purchase (most likely to least) would be:

944T-968-944S2-944NA.
The handling is great in all of them, but it's the power of the T that makes it a phenomenal car. The turbos were pretty de-tuned from the factory because Porsche didn't want the 944 to be faster than a 911. A chip is worth 75hp or so, with no loss of reliability or longevity if you treat the car well.

The 85.5-later cars have the updated interior, which IMHO is vastly better. Just look out for cracks in the dash. It's just aesthetics, but replacing the dash is very expensive in parts, and a huge job. The dash caps are ok, but not great.

Pelicanparts, Rennlist, etc are great resources for info and classified ads.

Enjoy!
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #74
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bongo
I'm not a car nut, but I do like a nice Porsche.

My favorite at the moment is the 550.

There is something in the lines of this car that makes me smile.

+1

This is photo that was in a Porsche, Ing calender a few years ago. I framed it and hung it in my bedroom.

When I bought my 968 it was a real toss-up between it and a Beck Spyder. The 968 won out for it's "real car" practicality.

My faves, in no particular order:

904 GTS

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...che_192088.htm
356 Karman Coupe

And the original SWB 911/912

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #75
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna
Wow, I'm fucked up. That actually brought a tear to my eye. Certainly know what their talking about. I've been loving P cars since I was that kid's age.

Here's mine outside Julian the day I drove it home from buying it in San Diego.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: