User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #76
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,535
A Porsche is an object, 6X16 in the garage, into which you pour money.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #77
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
A Porsche is an object, 6X16 in the garage, into which you pour money.
Hasn't been my experience. Other than the $5k paint job I put on the 911 last year (purely a choice), I put less money in my Porsches than any of the (few) american cars I've owned.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #78
Daniii
geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Hasn't been my experience. Other than the $5k paint job I put on the 911 last year (purely a choice), I put less money in my Porsches than any of the (few) american cars I've owned.
I guess having been sent into Bankruptcy by me being $16K upside down on the 944 after running through a deep puddle has affected my judgment. .

Here is my current porsche:

Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #79
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
I guess having been sent into Bankruptcy by me being $16K upside down on the 944 after running through a deep puddle has affected my judgment. .

I don't want to sound like a snob, but $16k sent you into bankruptcy???

Really???

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #80
Daniii
geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
I don't want to sound like a snob, but $16k sent you into bankruptcy???

Really???
$600/month payments for no car, for three years. It was far easier to just declare. Yup, it was stupid. No one told me about gap insurance for when a $32K car was worth only $12k in 2 years. The 944 had shit resale value.

But I bought and sold two houses in the three years after. Drove shit cars for 10. No credit card debt since. It was a hard lesson learned.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #81
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major
Sasquatch, what are your thoughts from a reliability/ service cost/ home mechanic maintainability (sp?) perspective (realizing that the home mechanic in question may not be as skilled as you):

1. Is it worth stepping up to a 968 from a 944?

2. Turbo vs. non-turbo?

3. S or S2 vs. 8 valve 944?

All are subjective. The 968 is the last of the 944 line with a 3.0 NA Inline 4 with dual overhead cams and vario cam adjustable cam timing and a 6 speed. It puts out (I think) 250ish HP. I would trade a nut for one. Guards red coupe please.

With the price of pristine 968's being in the low teens, hell, they are a great buy. A bit heavier than a 944, but much more refined.

944 turbo. I could write volumes about this car. Can be very reliable, or if you are tweaking the hell out of it for power can be a tweakers nightmare. But I have seen dyno sheets from guys getting over 300 hp at the rear wheel with not a bunch of $$ invested.

944S, nice, but not enough of an improvement over the standard 944 to warrant any special mention.

After owning my 87 944 for over 10 years, and putting 188k miles on it, I can say that I do long for more power (968, or Turbo). It is paid for, cheap to insure, and still places in the top 3 at car shows since the restoration, so I cant complain.

With any of the 944 line, some simple swaps of suspension components can turn a well balanced, fine handling sports car into a corner killer. I have most of a M030 suspension package installed on mine with coil over Bilsteins all around, big sway bars, poly bushings, and lowered. I even had the alignment settings set for track use (hard on tires). This car will get through a corner so hard I have thought about using a neck brace when I auto cross it because it will throw my head around, and do it violently with slicks. The suspension is so good that the car really needs 150 more HP.

I am getting winded, hope this helps.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #82
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
I am getting winded, hope this helps.
It's food for thought. A buddy of mine bought a black on black '85 944 new, the first year of the excellent (vs. ex-924) dash. I drove it a bit, spent a lot of time in it as a passenger. I loved that car, and I've always wanted one. Ironically, he bought it to replace an older C3 Corvette, which was a bit of a joke at the time, but would now be worth a lot more..

For a few years I would scan the Rennlist classifieds religiously, I nearly pulled the trigger on a perfect blue S2 cab once, and once on an equally perfect 968 cab. I'll have to start looking there again.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #83
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
For a few years I would scan the Rennlist classifieds religiously, I nearly pulled the trigger on a perfect blue S2 cab once, and once on an equally perfect 968 cab. I'll have to start looking there again.
Here's another great resource.

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?

968-centric but lots of other water-cooled owners there.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #84
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:

HA ha, nice emblems. I work with a guy who has one. One of the few Harley's I'd consider.

Here's mine:

Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #85
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
It's food for thought. A buddy of mine bought a black on black '85 944 new, the first year of the excellent (vs. ex-924) dash. I drove it a bit, spent a lot of time in it as a passenger. I loved that car, and I've always wanted one. Ironically, he bought it to replace an older C3 Corvette, which was a bit of a joke at the time, but would now be worth a lot more..

Don't forget the 924S (NOT THE 924)... 944 in sheep's clothing. Even though they are a bit more rare than the 944 their prices seemed to be pushed down by the 924 in their name.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #86
Ursa Major
Bemused

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
Don't forget the 924S (NOT THE 924)... 944 in sheep's clothing. Even though they are a bit more rare than the 944 their prices seemed to be pushed down by the 924 in their name.
I actually like the look of the 924S, it's a complete sleeper. Do you recall if those had the newer dash, or the old crappy 924 dash? I know they were only offered for 2 or 3 years, 87-89 or so, well after the new dash was in the 944. I remember seeing good examples of these for $2-3k, something stupid. I'm sure it's lower now.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #87
Ursa Major
Bemused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Here's another great resource.

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?

968-centric but lots of other water-cooled owners there.
It's in my bookmarks, I haven't gone there in a few years, I'll have to check it out.

Nice cab! One of the Brit Porsche mags just called the 968 cab the only Porsche since the Speedster that looks better in convertible form than the coupe. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I really like the 968 cab. A lot of them came with Tips, unfortunately.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #88
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
I
Nice cab! One of the Brit Porsche mags just called the 968 cab the only Porsche since the Speedster that looks better in convertible form than the coupe. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I really like the 968 cab.
I tend to agree. I think the 968 Cab is the best looking convertible Porsche ever made.

Quote:
A lot of them came with Tips, unfortunately.
Have you driven a Tiptronic? I test drove a couple and, honestly, some times I wish I' have gone that route. In "shift" mode it's virtually no different than a manual trans, and you have the option of being lazy and putting it in D when driving around town. Compared to the 6 speed, and it's requisite close ratios, it's a lot less work when you don't want to "drive."

I also thought I wanted the 030 option. I'm glad I didn't find one that fit my color/mileage/ etc. requirements. I recently priced replacement shocks. Normal Konis are $300 each, the 030 struts are $650/ each.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #89
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
I actually like the look of the 924S, it's a complete sleeper. Do you recall if those had the newer dash, or the old crappy 924 dash? I know they were only offered for 2 or 3 years, 87-89 or so, well after the new dash was in the 944. I remember seeing good examples of these for $2-3k, something stupid. I'm sure it's lower now.
Old dash, also had steel control arms in front instead of the aluminum ones the 944 had.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #90
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 18,088
Read the reviews. Pick it up in the AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: