Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #1006
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
the 928 stirs no passion in me. If it shows up in my garage, you can have it.

In the 80s, I really loved the car. I could imagine owning an S4, and screaming along the Autobauhn in it, Savatage's "Hall Of The Mountain King" cranked up full volume. Ah Ha ha ha ha ha.....

I can't say the look has kept my infatuation though. Plus, after hearing what shop queens they were, has kept me from picking up a number of rather cheap ones I've been offered since.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #1007
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecosBill
the 928 stirs no passion in me. If it shows up in my garage, you can have it.
Yeah, right.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #1008
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
going to see a 1982 911 targa tomorrow...imported from california
..a productive way to spend a monday morning
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #1009
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Thank you for posting that slideshow and all the background info. Very enjoyable.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #1010
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
You're certain welcome.

I could only get a small portion of the pic's loaded to the photosite since the file was so big, so there's another couple of hundred pictures. Pic's were on 35mm film that had to be scanned.

Just some interesting tidbits..the back side of the factory had a row of wrecked fairly new 911's awaiting reentry into the assembly line. At the time they would repair a crashed car by putting it back through a special section of the factory.

I rebuild a 1950 356 several yrs ago and the lady (from Germany) that bought the car and had it shipped back to Stuggart to have the engine rebuilt. 356's sell for a premium in Germany due to that there are so few 356's still around in Germany.

The risk in buying Porsche's in Germany: You do save about 25% BUT Germans do not provide a Mfg Bill of Sale, not a document they use in Germany. Discovered this when I went to register the car in the US...went thru hoops to get one...finally got one but it was in German so I had to go back to get another one so they just sent me a blank Mfg Bill of Sale, with Certified Seal already stamped, and a letter in German asking me to fill it out myself.

Lesson learned: Never show a car at your house that is advertised on AutoTrader. I was selling the black 930 Turbo on AutoTrader and a guy that came by to see the car, returned 3 hours later, while I was at work, and stole the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum
Thank you for posting that slideshow and all the background info. Very enjoyable.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 08:19 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #1011
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
going to see a 1982 911 targa tomorrow...imported from california
..a productive way to spend a monday morning
Nice, make sure you get a PPI done if you are thinking about buying it.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #1012
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lesson learned: Never show a car at your house that is advertised on AutoTrader. I was selling the black 930 Turbo on AutoTrader and a guy that came by to see the car, returned 3 hours later, while I was at work, and stole the car.
Ouch!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1013
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna
Nice, make sure you get a PPI done if you are thinking about buying it.
...didn't called the lady yet ...I am thinking logically...on the phone she said she's the first owner...mmm..
I just called now for an appointment and she's not answering..
what's a PPi btw?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #1014
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Quote:

Wise words, I don't show any vehicles at home when I sell them since back in 1999 when my old roommate showed his Ducati 748 to several people, and I returned home to find a hole drilled in the garage door and a missing Ducati and ZX-9. And a missing license plate from my Speed Triple, to go on the unregistered ZX-9, I assume.

To top it off, he was in the middle of buying a house and was short on cash, so there was no theft insurance on either bike. The Kawi was not paid for, he had to make payments on a stolen bike, and he had to borrow money from his parents for some of his house closing costs that he was depending on the Ducati sale to provide.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #1015
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
what's a PPi btw?
Pre Purchase Inspection. Should be done buy a shop that specializes in air-cooled Porsche's. Make sure they check the head studs and do a leak down test and check the oil lines.

Quote:
on the phone she said she's the first owner...mmm..
This could be a big plus on a old Porsche especially if they have all the maintenance and repair records for it. I would have a hard time buying any Porsche without both a PPI and a through maintenance records. Repairs on these things can get very expensive very quick but a well maintained car can be a lot of fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #1016
premix927
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Love my 74 carrera Targa. Glad my first Porsche was a Targa, but probably wouldnt get another targa. Has factory sport seats, havent seen another 74 Carrera with them. Are listed on COA.
Unfortunately for me, Im afraid to drive alot, too many dickbeaters on the road.
'00 KTM 380 EXC
Lifetime BRC Member
Retired ATV safety instructor
My 2 wheels .com
premix927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #1017
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by premix927
Love my 74 carrera Targa. Glad my first Porsche was a Targa, but probably wouldnt get another targa. Has factory sport seats, havent seen another 74 Carrera with them. Are listed on COA.
Unfortunately for me, Im afraid to drive alot, too many dickbeaters on the road.
Pics?!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #1018
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by premix927
I wouldn't buy a new Targa....if they existed....but a classic 911 Targa is a nice car
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #1019
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna
Pre Purchase Inspection. Should be done buy a shop that specializes in air-cooled Porsche's. Make sure they check the head studs and do a leak down test and check the oil lines.

This could be a big plus on a old Porsche especially if they have all the maintenance and repair records for it. I would have a hard time buying any Porsche without both a PPI and a through maintenance records. Repairs on these things can get very expensive very quick but a well maintained car can be a lot of fun.
went and tried the white targa ...my feet are too cramped in the pedal area...(I'm 6.4 )
...car is all right but for 25000 u$ is not a great deal especially since it is not perfect...and for that money a 1982 should be ...I guess
Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #1020
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
went and tried the white targa ...my feet are too cramped in the pedal area...(I'm 6.4 )
...car is all right but for 25000 u$ is not a great deal especially since it is not perfect...and for that money a 1982 should be ...I guess
If it is in the US then $25k is the absolute top of the SC market. For that you should get a concours car with under 25k miles. If you are outside the US that might be very different though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: