ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
New Mexico -- dirt roads reality check

I am planning a ride from Denver to Sierra Vista, AZ in early September following a mix of paved and dirt roads (including some of the GDMBR) through New Mexico.

I wanted to ask the NM crew for feedback on three sections specifically:
  • Road 19 between Cuba and Grants via Cabezon & San Mateo.
  • A95 from Pie Town to 12 via Mangas.
  • Bursum Road from 12 to Silver City via Beaverhead
Me: low intermediate rider. Riding solo on a loaded 650, I'll be looking for nice scenery over gnarly terrain.

Looking at my maps, I am most unsure about the section of Road 19 between San Luis and El Dado. Anyone have pics or a RR that includes this section?

Would you recommend or discourage taking these dirt roads? I'm open to alternative routes to, if you'd like to suggest any.

Also, I've read how muddy NM dirt becomes in the rain. Are any of these dirt sections still usable after the rain, or are all three in the 'impassable when wet' category.

Here's my proposed route through your fine state:

View Larger Map

[Please click "view larger map" if the route doesn't appear on the embedded map]

Thanks!

Hakatan screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 10:39 AM Reason: trying to fix GoogleMap linky
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

[tap, tap, tap...Is this thing on?]

Can anyone familiar with New Mexico comment on those three route questions?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
AIC_Rooster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Sorry I just don't know those roads. You are on the western edge of my experience.

Matt

New Mexico Riders Unite! www.nmdualsport.org

'06 KLR650
'00 DRZ400
AIC_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,708
I'm done for the day, but I'll help with what I can and get you some more info later. I don't know for sure about the first one. The last two are great for DS! Highly recommend both routes. There is some areas of greasy mud if it rains, so ride in the mornings and be prepared to get back on pavement if if looks like rain is immenent. There can be gravel, but that is entirely dependent on when the grader came through last.

If I forget, PM me or something in a week or so.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,912
Bursum is a FS road, Pts. 24-19 with 19 being Beaverhead. Both the R19 and A95 are county roads, so they should at least have culverts and have seen a blade in the past 10 years.

Egads! My 5000th post. all around

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Thanks for the replies, guys. I knew the NM crew would come through

I'll PM you Gordy as the trip approaches if I haven't heard back from you.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
San Louis to Dado

I rode this stretch in August of 2006, one of the wettest years on record. Three of us went through on 2 KLR650s and a 250cc honda. Even with all the rainfall we had in the previous weeks the roads had pretty much dried out. I think the advice from Gordy, and others from NM in other posts, is the best to follow; ride in the morning on days that threaten rain and be ready to bail. If you are 8 or 12 hours after rain it is usually OK except for big puddles.

Our trip was epic because in the ten or so miles before Dado there were seven culverts washed out! It was one of those deals where you make your way past one obstacle and think "well that has to be the worst part". Then find a couple others washed out, and then you are at the point of no return for the little gas tank on the honda.....and keep saying "it's gotta get better". But it didn't. Until Dado. We limped into Grants after 8 hours on that trail. Each washout took 30 to 60 minutes to navigate a way through.

This was my first off pavement day trip on the new KLR. I was a noob rider. And we still made it OK. I doubt you will run into anything like that so don't let this little tale scare you off.

The stretch between Dado and San Mateo has several, maybe 6 or 8, gates that need to be opened and closed. It is a very nice road with great views.

I'm subscribed and will monitor as you near your travel date. I am interested in doing that route again.....with the entire road intact!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
How long of a ride

How long do you think this route will take?
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Road Construction -- is it really 'everywhere'?

Another question for the NM crew: I was just told by someone who was trucking through New Mexico this week that there was road construction 'everywhere', with major delays. Are there any sections of paved NM highways I should avoid in early September due to known construction delays?

A couple summers ago I made better time and had more fun detouring through Wyoming's Great Divide Basin instead of sitting in a long line of stopped RVs on US287. I'd happily ride more miles in your great state to avoid waiting for the pilot truck...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns
I rode this stretch in August of 2006, one of the wettest years on record....

I'm subscribed and will monitor as you near your travel date. I am interested in doing that route again.....with the entire road intact!
Thanks for the story. Hopefully it won't be too wet or washed out when I ride it in a few weeks...7 washed out culverts doesn't really fit with my 'scenic over gnarly' criterion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktulsa17
How long do you think this route will take?
I'm not sure if you're asking me or JemezMtns, but I'm budgeting 4 days from Denver to Sierra Vista, AZ, about 1100 miles. The New Mexico leg shown in my first post is approximately 640 miles of that.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan
Another question for the NM crew: I was just told by someone who was trucking through New Mexico this week that there was road construction 'everywhere', with major delays. Are there any sections of paved NM highways I should avoid in early September due to known construction delays?
I can't think of any huge construction projects right now.

Check out www.nmroads.com and make sure you turn on or off whatever info you are looking for on the left hand margin. Pretty decent and accurate website.

Quote:

I'm not sure if you're asking me or JemezMtns, but I'm budgeting 4 days from Denver to Sierra Vista, AZ, about 1100 miles. The New Mexico leg shown in my first post is approximately 640 miles of that.

What does your map look like for Colorado and Arizona?
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
.gpx???

Eurobiker,

Do you have gps maps for this route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
Bursum is a FS road, Pts. 24-19 with 19 being Beaverhead. Both the R19 and A95 are county roads, so they should at least have culverts and have seen a blade in the past 10 years.

Egads! My 5000th post. all around

oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
I can't think of any huge construction projects right now.

Check out www.nmroads.com and make sure you turn on or off whatever info you are looking for on the left hand margin. Pretty decent and accurate website.

What does your map look like for Colorado and Arizona?
Thanks for the link to nmroads.com, Fleg. I'll check it out.

My Colorado route is pretty boring, just a quick run down US285 from Denver, crossing into NM near Cumbres/Chama. I've ridden the GDMBR through Southern Colorado already, and wanted to have more time for riding in NM and AZ this time around.

From Silver City, NM (180), I plan to cross into AZ via Mule Creek, picking up Highway 78. From there, I'll make my way southwest towards Sierra Vista, via 191 and then dirt through Tombstone, AZ.
Should be a great mix of dirt and fun pavement
Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
The road from Cuba to Grants does go thru. There are several unlocked gates on it with No Trespassing signs, but this a valid county/forest service road and one should take the signs to mean stay on the road. The road from Pie Town to 12 also goes thru. It is a major gravel road very easy. There are several similar county roads in the area. I see you are not going thru Winston. You might reconsider since it is the only gas available south of Magdalena for a long long ways. I have never been down the roads shown as points ~11-15. I know there is a large ranch down there called the Ladder Ranch that you cannot get thru. It might be west of where you are going. We tried to cross it out of the forest on the west side and all the roads were seriously locked. I have ridden this part of the state a lot and have some GPS tracks and lots of memories about routes, especially ones that don't work.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Is there fuel available in Quemado?

Thanks for the route info, wbb, and for raising the fuel question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm
I see you are not going thru Winston. You might reconsider since it is the only gas available south of Magdalena for a long long ways.
So let me think out loud for a minute....

My route from Grants (fuel) to Silver City (fuel) is just shy of 300 miles -- including a desired detour to Gila Cliff dwellings. Beyond my F650 Dakar's range, by a good 60 miles.

Option 1: I could try to bring an extra 1.5 gallons with me and dump it in 100 miles south of Grants.
Option 2: I could detour to Winston -- about 80 miles round-trip from my route
Option 3: I could head 20 miles west from Pie Town to Quemado for fuel -- can anyone confirm if there is fuel in Quemado?. From Quemado to Silver City is another 225 miles. I should make it...if my Dakar gets it's usual 60+ MPG

Right now I like Option 3, if Quemado really has fuel.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quemado has had gas stations in the past and I assume still does. There used to be a gas station near Inscription Rock/El Morro.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote