User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,620
Saturday Wyman Creek Canyon

RRsteves and his friend Eric came down from Ukiah. Ohooligan and his wife also camped with us. We decided to ride up Wyman Creek Canyon on Saturday.

On the way out of the camp site.

We took Casa Diablo Road down to Bishop

RRsteves (railroadsteve)

Regroup (Ohooligan on El Burro)

We all stoped in Bishop for fuel and at bike shop for some chain lube for the thumpers. Marcia bought some new cooler gloves as it was warming up.

395 down to 168 East (I think). It takes you out past White Mountain Research road and into a desert valley. Thats where you catch the dirt turn off for Wynaman Creek.

The turn off

The first good creek

I told Marcia just go through nice and slow

The Ural makes quite a splash. Marcia's idea of going slow got water splashed into the air box and stalled the bike. So I had to switch out the air filter for a fresh dry one.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 08-14-2009 at 09:00 PM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

The rest of the ride she was now gun shy of going too fast through the creeks.

A combination of the elavation (having to keep the RPM's up) due to jetting and Marcia now crawling through all the creeks on inclines the Ural started to get hot. We had to stop here cause it got so hot it just wouldnt move.

After a break and cool down we pushed on. The Ural just kept on going.

Eric has a truly cool bike. I had never seen or heard of one before. Its a Kawasaki Tiengi (I think)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

If you have a lap top turn it sideways. Marcia always forgets that the videos cant be rotated.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Near the top of the switch backs on Wynaman Creek looking back down the canyon we just climbed.

We almost made it to White Mountian Research Station road when the Ural just stopped dead in its tracks. The clutch lever had all kinds of slop and play, like the cable broke. Checked it not broke. Adjusted all the play out of the cable but the lever that operates the clutch slave cylinder didnt move. No other adjustments I was aware of. So after a breif 20 minutes of panic and now what are we going to do. With the bike still in gear we pushed it and it started and just kept chugging right along. Cool! So we made it to about 10500 feet give or take! Marcia rode the Ural all the way back to camp with out using the clutch just bumping the gears. Never coming to a full stop cause it would die, just rolling through lights and stop signs in Bishop. It ran fine and pulled fine it just had no clutch.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 08-14-2009 at 09:42 PM
Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,820
nice rr and pics....

too bad i didn't see marcia on the ural...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #21
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

We made it back to camp just happy that we didnt have to leave the Ural out on the side of the trail. So safe back at camp we started to figure out how we where going to get home. Ride home no clutch? Leave the Ural in Bishop and come back with a trailer? AAA?

I called Ski (Owner and operator) at http://www.triquestcycles.com/ our Ural dealer. I wanted let him know what was going on and see if he might have a fix for me that i could do to limp it back home. Long story short he agreed to come and pick us up in his truck & trailer! He towed both bikes back to his shop in Santa Clara CA. From his shop we would leave the Ural with him to fix and we would ride 2up back home only about 80 miles.

So we cant say enough good things about Ski at Triquest! He has always taken care of us and its never a big issue to get our needs taken care of. Once again Ski took care of us in a big way!

Triquest Cycles
2981 Lafayette St.
Santa Clara CA 95054
Phone 408-855-8358

Here is the man Ski our saviour! Now thats what I call service!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #22
cpres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I am one of the many that Ski deals with and I will say that he has provided top notch service and I have never even met him. I hope the fix is simple and that you will share it with us. Looks like you guys had a great trip and I hope to see more from you and you special riding partner.
cpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
photo's

great work!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Howdy Cory,

Great ride report and wonderful photos.

I just sent Ski, two sets of modified clutch disks, for the type of riding you're doing with the Ural I suggest you have Ski install a set of them and VENT the top of the bell-housing, it will really go a long way toward keeping the clutch cool enough to operate. The Ural clutch does NOT work well or last very long if it is slipped, it is much easier on the clutch to quickly let it out then pull it back in then let it out, pull it in while going through nasty stuff or when trying to get going again on steep grades.

I am willing to bet that the inside clutch disk is totally shot and the outer one is badly worn and the facing material is all cracked from heat. The one thing that the Ural desperately needs is lower gearing when its used off road, sadly there is not enough room in the transmission to install a larger diameter gear to give a lower ratio and the final drive is not large enough to have a larger ring gear installed, to put more teeth on the pinion gear would really weaken it so a person is kinda stuck with the stock gearing.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Cory,

I am willing to bet that the inside clutch disk is totally shot and the outer one is badly worn and the facing material is all cracked from heat. .
I was at TriQuest when Ski pulled the Transmission and Clutch and your were wrong Dave. Both discs were shot. No material on either one of them, just blue metel. Marcie did a good job. All the material was jambed into the teeth of the flywheel which is what held the rig in gear enough to drive it back to camp without any clutch. She was real lucky it moved at all. Ski was installing the new Cob Clutches when I left.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #26
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Rider
I was at TriQuest when Ski pulled the Transmission and Clutch and your were wrong Dave. Both discs were shot. No material on either one of them, just blue metel. Marcie did a good job. All the material was jambed into the teeth of the flywheel which is what held the rig in gear enough to drive it back to camp without any clutch. She was real lucky it moved at all. Ski was installing the new Cob Clutches when I left.
Howdy Dennis,

Damn that woman can do a great job of burnin clutches.

Seriously usually the inner disk goes first and that will lock up the clutch before the outer one goes completely. To take them both out that bad tells me that some very nasty clutch slipping was going on. Even the modified disks will fail if they are subjected to continual slipping. When going through very bad terrain sometimes you just have to STOP and let things cool down.

When Ski asked me to send him two sets of modified disk I asked him if he wanted me to send the vents that I use in the top of the bell-housing, in his reply he only asked for the disks. I included instructions on how to install the vent and STRONGLY suggested that he do so. I have learned the hard way that you HAVE TO VENT the bell-housing to get as much heat out of it as possible. On the "X" project engine I have installed TWO vents, that engine puts out so much more power and torque it is VERY hard on the clutch.

Here's a photo of the vent's on the bell-housing of the "X" engine. In this photo you can also see the cooling holes that I machine into the disks, what you can't see it the expansion slots, they are hidden by the cover plate.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 08-22-2009 at 05:19 PM
Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #27
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Mr. Cob and Dennis thanks for the update on our bike Ski hasnt updated us and im sure its because he is always swamped with work. So Yes we opted to go with the Cob clutches hoping it would prolong the life of them a bit.

Mr. Cob, Ski did ask me if I wanted the vents in the bell housing but I had some questions. Do we need to worry about foul weather i.e. rain, mud getting in the bell housing? I can see how the vents would help with letting hot air out but if i cant travel in the rain etc im not sure.

We are also putting a "ModTop" air box on the Yeti while its in the shop. As I mentioned we splashed water into the stock box which is a pain. The stock air filter has a small surface area clogging in dusty rides, so i hope the new air box will solve or greatly help in both of those areas.

Here is a video i just got via email from RRsteves of the Ural on the climb up Wynaman Creek Canyon. This is just after we stopped and let the bike cool. It shows kind of how steep it was and how rocky and ledgy it was. In the video the side car hits a rock ledge and bounces the chair up in the air and sends me over into the bush.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
Mr. Cob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Mr. Cob and Dennis thanks for the update on our bike Ski hasnt updated us and im sure its because he is always swamped with work. So Yes we opted to go with the Cob clutches hoping it would prolong the life of them a bit.

Mr. Cob, Ski did ask me if I wanted the vents in the bell housing but I had some questions. Do we need to worry about foul weather i.e. rain, mud getting in the bell housing? I can see how the vents would help with letting hot air out but if i cant travel in the rain etc im not sure.
This is a copy of the answer I gave in response to the PM you sent me concerning the vent.

"Howdy Cory,

I have using the vent in the bell-housing for over four years, in that time I have never had any problem with any kind of contaminate getting into the bell-housing. If you attempt to cross water deep enough to come in the top of the bell-housing you're going to have way more problems then water coming in through the vent.

When I replied to Ski's email asking me to send him some disks I asked him if he wanted me to include the vents, he said NO. I included the instructions on how to do it anyway as I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

HEAT is what kills the disks, even with the modified disks if you trap the heat in the bell-housing they are going to fail much quicker then they normally would. A clutch disk "any clutch disk" is a wear item, in time it will fail so to me it only makes sense to get as much life out them as is possible.

Cory believe me when I tell you I am NOT making a whole lot of money on this, the cost of the disks and shipping is constantly going up. I am NOT making any money on installing the vents, I just want folks to get as much use out of the disks as they can. The modified disks will last longer then the stock disk, they will last even longer if the bell-housing is vented. It's your money.

As to the "X" engine I have an ongoing thread concerning it over on Soviet Steeds, the thread is called "The building of the CCXCB saga" or something like that. The engine is 870-cc, it is a one off factory experiment, there are NO SPARE PARTS, if and when it blows up that's it. This thing builds so much more torque then the stock engine, if I get the bugs worked out of it and really start to work it hard I fear the rest of the drive train to include the clutch is going to go through HELL. However, I'll be smiling while it lasts.

Dave"