Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 776
Why so few F-series entries in the Hall Of Wisdom?

I just took a look through the HOW but couldn't really find anything that applies to my 800. Am I missing them or are we just an unwise bunch?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
There's a hall of wisdom?

What's that?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 191
Who needs that? We've got Reaver. Wisdom (personified) with a heaping serving of attitude.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
the HoW over here is pretty good:

http://f800riders.org/forum/articles.php?c=157
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,094
Reaver is overrated and an alcoholic. Woody's heart is with the F800 org guys where he can shine with a bunch of magic links.

We have Wildman's sticky of knowledge. The third from the top. Also, the F bikes are pretty straight forward so a lot of general bike tips apply.

Then there's the New Owner's Stupid Q thread if all else fails.

What do you need to know?

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The Hall of Wisdom for the F800 has only one piece of wisdom in it:

If you value your sanity, and want to save money and time, buy a Honda and stick to the road. Beige is the new black.

annnnnnnnnd.....GO
Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

If you value your sanity, and want to save money and time, buy a Honda and stick to the road. Beige is the new black.

annnnnnnnnd.....GO
And I always put you as a Suzuki guy. Life is full of surprises...
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Reaver is overrated and an alcoholic. Woody's heart is with the F800 org guys where he can shine with a bunch of magic links.

We have Wildman's sticky of knowledge. The third from the top. Also, the F bikes are pretty straight forward so a lot of general bike tips apply.

Then there's the New Owner's Stupid Q thread if all else fails.

What do you need to know?
Ah yes! Hadn't seen that sticky post. Thanks. Been through all the stupid questions, looking more for service/repair oriented stuff. Really nothing in particular just yet, I was just wanting to know where I could find such stuff if/when I need it.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

annnnnnnnnd.....GO
I really wanted a Honda but I couldn't figure out what oil to use in it.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Rider View Post
I really wanted a Honda but I couldn't figure out what oil to use in it.

It depends what tires it's runnin'.

Most of the info is buried in the threads, some good stuff way off topic from the OP tho. The site search engine sucks so you need to use Google + ADV + xxxxxx.

Since few say "I love my bike and it hasn't failed", consider this forum just a small percentile of the number of actual bikes out there being enjoyed trouble free. The wife and I have had 5 in total and not one failure, crossing NA a few times and racking up the mileage.

I came here for the mods and known issues so I could plan the worthwhile spares.

But I failed at that and now have enough spares for 2 RTW's.

Leaving it all behind 2014
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The only failure that really, really, really pissed me off because it was so expensive...yes I know it sounds like they all do, but I digress...was the ABS controller when it died.

That was for several reasons, the first being that it failed as I was entering a very wet and slippery intersection controlled by a roundabout (or rotary as the US voice on my GPS calls it). When it failed I actually lost brakes for what felt like an eternity, while the unit tried to decide if it was going to continue trying to run ABS, or switch it off altogether. The second was the price, at $2600 it seemed extortionate considering it was only the electronics that failed and they only supply a complete controller. Third, the fact that when I sourced a second hand unit (in much better physical condition than mine) BMW refused to hook it up to the computer and enable it in the software because it was second hand and it might kill me and they might get sued. So now mine is defaulted off at all times.

This failure came, from memory, about a week or so after I did some welding work. So naturally I blamed the welding work, and was upset that BMWs CANBUS system was so prone to failures during what could be considered a likely occurrence for any bike used off road...welding up damage to crash bars of similar. I mean...it happened to Ewan and Charlie in the back blocks of Europe on their GSAs....so that's what it had to be.

Now it turns out I had completely forgotten about an incident almost 12 months prior, and in hindsight, between that incident and the failure, there had been a couple of instances where the ABS seemed to be intervening for no obvious reason, that I put down to oil or fuel spilled on the road.

The original instance was while riding home is some exceptional rain from a trail ride, bucketing down like nothing I've seen this side of the Tropic of Capricorn, and as I approached a roundabout, lightning hit the ground in the lane to my right about a car length from me. Scared the living shit of me. I felt like I had in the days where I worked live line, in close proximity to 132KV lines where you suddenly charge up and discharge with the most massive static jolt imaginable. The instruments went blank, the ignition failed for about a second, like riding an old school bike and you bump the kill switch. Then the engine backfired and kept running and I made a b-line for my sons house, which was only about 1000m from where I was. The instruments did some sort of reset thing on the run, like at startup, and the gear position was showing the wrong gear. Check engine light came on, then off, but the engine ran normally throughout, other than the instantaneous shut down. Everything was normal on the next start up.

So once I remembered this had happened, it kind of threw all the assumptions I'd made about the welding and the CANBUS out the window.

Now I'm at the point where I don't know what killed it. I'm guessing that lightning strikes aren't a good thing for a CANBUS system, and that welding could also be a problem in the right circumstances.

I still don't know why I had completely forgotten about the lightning strike. It's like it went BOOM, I went HOLY SHIT, downshifted and forgot all about it. During a recent bad thunderstorm I had some sort of flashback during a massive crack of thunder, and could taste the adrenaline suddenly, and then the memory was there, like pulling a long forgotten photo out of a shoebox full of photos. I went "Oh yeah....hey...maybe the ABS thing is related".

We'll probably never know.

Sometimes shit just happens.