Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #76
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,085
After reading Ouray`s idea...... I went and got the tennis tape. Took it a step further, and after wrapping the bars with the grip tape.... I pulled this sleve over.......
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...id=body_rv_img

I know that it absorbs moisture..... But I`m in the desert southwest...and although hard....the rains are brief in nature.... It feels absolutely fantabolistic....

Interestingly.... the throttle seems a little tamer now...on the takeoff... Perhaps the larger gearing......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #77
lepoer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Gangplank... Thanks for this great little mod. Super easy to do and what a difference. I don't have huge paws but always felt like there was something wrong with the grips.

I went with the medium firmness Renthals for a little more durability but the are still sticky enough.

Took about 10 minutes to complete. As fixes go, this one offers the most bang for the buck.
Bernadette, '09 F800GS. Jesse Odyssey II bags. Givi engine guards. Sargent Touring seat. Twalcom wind deflector. Stebel Nautilus compact horn (Can you hear me now!?). Kaoko throttle lock. PIAA Cross County Auxiliary lights. TT HID Compact 2 Headlamp, Best Rest Headlight protector & Aux light mount. Metal mule radiator guard. Altrider skid plate.
lepoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #78
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
oooh cool. I like the tennis racket tape idea. I've been using the mountain bike tape but the right hand (throttle) side keeps getting loose and I have to keep retaping it.

Tennis tape makes a lot of sense.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #79
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoer
Gangplank... Thanks for this great little mod. Super easy to do and what a difference. I don't have huge paws but always felt like there was something wrong with the grips.

I went with the medium firmness Renthals for a little more durability but the are still sticky enough.

Took about 10 minutes to complete. As fixes go, this one offers the most bang for the buck.

No problem. I have 8000 miles on mine and they are just now starting to look a little worn. Probably replace them next season.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #80
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
o rings

The O rings look great but does anybody know if they are UV resistant??

Some rubber stuff cracks or turns to gummy worms after prolonged exposure to sunlight.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #81
satchmo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
This works great. I used the same grips as the OP, but the medium compound, not soft.
I had grip puppies on for a while but didn't like the feel off road and they didn't get as warm with the grip heaters on.
satchmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #82
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM

Some rubber stuff cracks or turns to gummy worms after prolonged exposure to sunlight.
O-rings they sell at Harbor tools will be dead within months...
"Real" o-rings will last years
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #83
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
After reading this thread and being interested because I have always found the 800's grips too small I happened to be waiting to be served at a local business and they had a promotional cricket bat grip on the counter. as below;

http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...rrent=grip.jpg
This is to support the Mcgrath Foundation which was started by a very famous Australian ex test cricket player after his wife died of Breast Cancer, and usually involves the colour pink.

It occurred to me that if I got a similar grip in a more manly colour like ... black (although I did consider yellow to match my bumble bee) and cut it down it just might work. Much to my surprise I cut two sections 10cm long, heated them in hot water, sprayed a little windex on the standard grips and in almost no time I had the following results;

F800GS Grips 2

Have only ridden about 70Km but am impressed. Grips are more comfortable, the heated grips still work, as a bonus the vibration through the handlebars is reduced to almost nothing and low speed throttle control is vastly better.

This tip might be a bit difficult in those unenlightened countries where Cricket isn't played ( A couple of minor nations in North America come to mind ), but it should work for the rest of us. I suspect there must be somewhere in New England or Canada where you can get cricket gear, but there is always mail order.
Hey thanks for the tip, this works for me! Got my grips from Rebel this week and like the result.

Cheers,

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #84
apleschu
Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM

I have mine now for the whole summer on the bike and the bike is parked in full Houston sun all day. From the 50 or so o rings there is one (1) that started cracking and they will be replaced shortly. The others are good and show no abnormal signs.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #85
wetdog1965
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Color

Renthal Soft Compound dirt bike grips (diamond pattern)

Seemed like they were thin and streatchy enough...

Here are a few shot of what they looked like before I cut them up:

figured I could just cut the ends off and streatch the remaining tube over the existing BMW skinny F8 grips.

Here is what they look like cut and installed on the bike:

Look pretty good if you ask me.
Note: I used the soft compound grips, and they are pretty definitely on the
Oh, right one other thing. Once installed they are about the same thickness or circumfrence as the outter most ridge or grip end. Maybe slightly smaller. This is perfect for me as I often find my hands resting against the outside of the grips. now they ride right up on that ridge and I don't even notice. Nice! [/quote] I think they look fine and if you buy two pair for the sizing, just share/split the cost with another rider. Cost $12 then!

Previous = Yamaha FJR 1300
Yamaha GS1100
Yamaha 750 Special
Honda XL 250
Suzuki 500
Honda XL 175
wetdog1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #86
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackator
Hey thanks for the tip, this works for me! Got my grips from Rebel this week and like the result.

Cheers,
Glad it worked

I've just replaced mine ... the originals were getting worn. I just bought the same grip again.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #87
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 461
Adding a Cricket grip to your Bikes Handgrips 101.

After doing a bit of boring road riding lately I have been getting cramped hands from what I believe is from the small handgrips on My F800GS.
Then I heard one of the guys tell me that a Cricket Bat handle grip could work a treat. Then 'lo and behold I read about it here on the worlds most informative website.
Anyway I have done a pictorial, the adition took me about 5 minutes.
Dug around in my ladís cricket bag for a spare Bat grip.
For you guys in non-cricket playing areas, this is what the Bat and the handle grip looks like.

The Pink cover is for a Breast cancer promotion for the McGrath foundation. One of our famous cricketers who lost his wife to Breast cancer and now works hard to raise money to fight the disease.
I am going to use a black grip cos its what I found free in the bag.
There is another little tool I found in my sonís cricket bag.

I donít know what the technical name is for this implement so I will call it a cone roller for want of a better name. That is because you roll the grip onto the cone, over the end and onto the bat. Neat as you like.
Now of course the next part is simple, just unscrew the big bolt that keeps my hand grip protectors in place.

Itís a big arsed bolt and tight as shit, had to grimace a little to undo it.

Now I need to measure my handgrip and cut to the right length.

Then roll the grip onto the cone thingy and placing it against my handgrips just keep rolling it right off and into place

Make sure it lines up, unroll it and Bobís your uncle.

Just like a bought one.
Do it all back up nice and tight remembering to grimace.

I reckon for anyone with that wants a wider grip you could easily roll two of these on, kinda like wearing two condoms for an ugly bird in case one falls offÖ
You can get different thickness grips though and they even come in different textures.

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #88
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
Is there a picture thread for how to install the Renthal's? I've gone trough 4 sets to far and just torn them to pieces and now I'm starting to tear the grips on the bike.
I'm using needle nose, regular nose, channel locks, vice grips, anything I can find to get hold of the rubber to stretch it over the original grips. Nothing works and I can't get it over the first lip on the bikes grip enough to slide it down.
I have presoaked them in hot water, and added soap to the water, then poured soap down the grip as well. Nothing...

I'm in close to 100.00 right now with all the money into grips and shipping... they are not stocked locally, so I keep having to order them.

Thanks,
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #89
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,175
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHUNTR View Post
Is there a picture thread for how to install the Renthal's? I've gone trough 4 sets to far and just torn them to pieces and now I'm starting to tear the grips on the bike.
I'm using needle nose, regular nose, channel locks, vice grips, anything I can find to get hold of the rubber to stretch it over the original grips. Nothing works and I can't get it over the first lip on the bikes grip enough to slide it down.
I have presoaked them in hot water, and added soap to the water, then poured soap down the grip as well. Nothing...

I'm in close to 100.00 right now with all the money into grips and shipping... they are not stocked locally, so I keep having to order them.

Thanks,
Umm.... I used the "soft" version and lubed them up with simple green. Went on smooth and easy. Just cut them to size before I put them, sprayed the inside of the renthal's with simple green and on they went. Not problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #90
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Umm.... I used the "soft" version and lubed them up with simple green. Went on smooth and easy. Just cut them to size before I put them, sprayed the inside of the renthal's with simple green and on they went. Not problem.
I also used simple green. I used the medium grips (darker grey) and they worked great. Once you get it over the end it just takes some pushing (and adding a bit more simple green) for them to slide on.
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote