ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #46
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
+1 and if you run rim locks they are usually at least 4 oz our of balance. I had a MT21 rear on my 690 that was actually bouncing at 60 mph.
So far I only had to add a something like 30 g to the MT21. No rim lock...
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #47
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
The D908 has served me well for 3400mi so far and looks to have a couple thousand left in it.
I've had a few of those and I've never got past 5000km, there was zero knob height left! Not sure how you do it?

With your throttle discipline, try out a Desert. You'll like them.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #48
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
for the desert rear's:

The desert is very hard and made for powerfull bikes at extended speed but no longer produced, get them if you can. I love it on the 950 for dry/desert ground.

The desert race has a lot lower profile and is made from softer rubber. specifically made for the 450's now active in dakar. Ive seen it wear a lot faster on these bikes than the old desert, grip is better on rock's and sand. I think on the big bike this is not your best option if you'r looking for a tire that you wont replace after every day racing for a new one.

I have a different opinion. I ran a set of these a couple of years ago on my 525. I put them on right before a Moab trip. I would characterize the sidewall as being hard, but I found the knobbies to wear pretty fast on asphalt, hard soil and rocky trail. These tires offer great grip, but short life. My 525 is plated so they worked well for getting me to the trailhead.

I ride an 1190R and would not consider these tires for a large adventure bike, unless I would be ridding completely off road, and didn't need high mileage.