Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #166
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,691
Hi, just test driving my new name (matt got tired of my girly nonsense sullying his screen name)...

HEY, LOOK! the guys - Julian, Andrew, and Paul - finally started their ride report!

check it out here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498246
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #167
hollislewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Tat

I enjoyed your thread, I am riding from central Texas this Friday to Arizona and Utah. Where did you get your map, and could you give me the route you took in Utah. You described hitting your foot in a tight spot, I have the Gobi bags on my 990 Adventure S, will I have a problem with their width? Any advice you can give me about traveling in the back country is appreciated. Thanks, Hollis, hollislewis@yahoo.com or PM me, Thanks again
hollislewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #168
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Hi, just test driving my new name (matt got tired of my girly nonsense sullying his screen name)...

HEY, LOOK! the guys - Julian, Andrew, and Paul - finally started their ride report!

check it out here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498246
welcome LittleWan - may there be many reports of girlieness & craziness in ride reports in your future!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #169
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollislewis
I enjoyed your thread, I am riding from central Texas this Friday to Arizona and Utah. Where did you get your map, and could you give me the route you took in Utah. You described hitting your foot in a tight spot, I have the Gobi bags on my 990 Adventure S, will I have a problem with their width? Any advice you can give me about traveling in the back country is appreciated. Thanks, Hollis, hollislewis@yahoo.com or PM me, Thanks again
Hi Hollis,
Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand your question ("Where did you get your map, and could you give me the route you took in Utah."). We were following the TransAmerica Trail. The maps and roll charts are available here: http://www.transamtrail.com/. If you are leaving this friday, I hope you already have your maps!
Maybe you want the map for the Canyonlands loop from Day 5? You can get one for 25 cents at the Moab visitors center. If you go to the entry for Day 5, I explain where to catch the loop on 313.

Matt thought his Gobi bags would have been fine on the TAT, but he's used to riding on narrow trails with them. He does suggest carrying straps in case the bags get knocked off and the locks break.
Hopefully, if you're thinking about riding the TAT (or just off road in Utah) with your 990, you are comfortable riding fully loaded in rocks, sand and silt. Be prepared to handle any mechanical problems on your own. We rarely saw another person on the trail.
Oh yeah - watch out for slick mud after heavy rain and avoid falling into giant holes
Good luck and have fun!

LittleWan screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 03:06 PM
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #170
jcd1111
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great ride report. I've ridden those passes on the Alpine Loop in CO between Lake City and Ouray. 2-up on a 950? well done!

Question for ya. What can you tell us about the gas can panniers in this photo:

jcd1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #171
BOBaloo22
Bald Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,768
BOBaloo22

I've been riding slabs for over thirty years with a little dirt on the side but your report has me thinking, wifey look at all the beauty we could see on the TAT and stay away from the herds of cagers we seem to draw like flies. We will see, I hope you guys are all healed and I really, really enjoyed your RR. Hope to leave Va and head west again soon.
BOBaloo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #172
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWan
We had been looking forward to the jeep road (727) that was coming up next. Sam noted "Fun, Fun, Fun" on the roll charts and we figured it would be something good. Yeah. It turns out that Sam is a fan of sarcasm - that road was 13 miles of horrible. Nothing but baby heads and slick mud puddles that went on forever - not rocky enough to be interesting, but really uncomfortable at speed. Ugh. It was raining the whole time so I didn't take any pictures, but here's the trail map if you want to have some "Fun, Fun, Fun" of your own.

-

Oh I soooo completely agree!

Loving your report so far; I'm on page 2. Currently in the process of doing the TAT myself, in Green River, Utah tonight. I salute you both; I can only imagine what it must to be like to ride the trail on that big a bike with a passenger, or to be that passenger!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #173
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Great RR!

Our description / photos of the "fun fun fun" section starts here:

I too hadn't heard anyone document anything about it... It was an ass-kicker at the end of that day!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #174
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by junker
agree with sailwa66, but make sure that when you get it welded the geometry is right. There's a motorcycle frame company that does chassis geometry but for the life of me I can't remember what they're called.
GMD Computrack http://www.gmd-computrack.com/ They fixed my GSX-R that decided to take up acrobatics and ended up several inches shorter. Top notch guys when I went there.

Mike

Bronco3738 screwed with this post 09-02-2009 at 07:54 PM
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #175
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Our description / photos of the "fun fun fun" section starts here:

I too hadn't heard anyone document anything about it... It was an ass-kicker at the end of that day!
That looks like my idea of fun dual sport riding. Also why I like the DRZ over some of the heavy trailies. It does look fun, fun, fun.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #176
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
What a great report

A well documented passage, such a fine report. I'm just amazed at the strength of your wife to have taken such a trip two up. The affection between you both seem very strong. however she seems to be very much a part of this adventure not just a passenger along for the ride. What a personal achievement congratulation!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #177
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
2 Up on the TAT, hat's off to both of you, and thanks for sharing the ride.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #178
BAVinCA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Kelly and Matt you are my idols - Reading your RR just made my day, simply fantastic
BAVinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #179
K2
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 4,870

simply fantastic y'all.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #180
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,833
Just finished reading your RR while having dinner here in Winnemucca, NV.

Great Job! Both on finishing the TAT, and this great RR; loved it! Thanks for the tips about Oregon, luckily I have topo maps on my GPS. So between your wonderful heads up and my topo maps, I hope to fare a little better.

Hope you're healing up well Kelly, and I look forward to reading another one of your RRs when you're riding your own bike!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote