Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #31
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina
Great report. I want to do this next!

I've been trying to sell her on the TAT for years. Looks like your report finally got er done
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #32
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Very Cool you two. Cant wait for more

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #33
katoom916
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Great report so far...
katoom916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #34
contacterich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Awesome report.

- great report. You two are "crazy" (in a good way)! Looking forward to the rest of the trip...
contacterich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #35
themansfield
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83

I think we were about an hour ahead of you guys at this point. We had three bikes and we each took a different line through this. My XRR made it cleanly around that bush in the left of the frame, the XT got hung up on that sand dune in the right of the frame, and the KLR met the same fate as your KTM smack in the middle. Good times.
themansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #36
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
quick question, when you get a second: how much experience do you two have riding offroad together 2up, and how much offroad experience does matt have? from your posts it seems like this trip is a somewhat common occurrence to you two...
hi kaia,
we actually haven't done that much offroad stuff together - we did a nice baja trip (down to La Paz and back) that was about 85% offroad and we've done several offroad day trips, but that's about it. About a million years ago we did 3.5 months of touring 2up in europe and we've taken other slab trips together, so that helped a little.

I give the credit to matt - he's been riding in the dirt for 30+ years (since he was 8 years old) and he LOVES it. He doesn't see any difference between riding in the dirt and riding on the street - other than he's happier in the dirt - and he feels extremely comfortable offroad.

I'm a total chicken and I get scared in the car, but I enjoy riding in the dirt with matt. most of the time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #37
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina
Great report. I want to do this next!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4ce

I've been trying to sell her on the TAT for years. Looks like your report finally got er done
oh, great. Thanks, you guys - matt's been making noise about going to south america and I keep pretending I can't hear him...now he's all over your RR
you should do the TAT - I'd love to see your photos of colorado!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #38
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by themansfield
I think we were about an hour ahead of you guys at this point. We had three bikes and we each took a different line through this. My XRR made it cleanly around that bush in the left of the frame, the XT got hung up on that sand dune in the right of the frame, and the KLR met the same fate as your KTM smack in the middle. Good times.
An hour? seriously? way to rub it in - we were sooo close!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #39
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 663
Great RR you guys. Keep it upright!
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.2wheelcentral.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #40
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

7/29/09 Day 6 of the TAT: Salina, UT to Ely, NV aprox 383 miles

Woke up feeling refreshed and happy. My ankle was tender, but seemed fine. I was a little stressed out over the upcoming Paiute Trail, but I tried not to think about it.

Everything was great until we were getting ready to pull out of the Rodeway Inn parking lot and Matt couldn't find his wallet. Crap. Hope he didn't leave it in the restaurant last night. We're usually pretty careful about checking motel rooms before we leave, so we start off by unpacking the bags. Nothing. It took three tries before the desk clerk could give me the right room key (she finally gave me the master key instead of a key card) and I searched the whole room. Nothing. I looked behind the giant dresser/sideboard thingy and didn't see anything, but when I took a hanger and dragged it along the back, I thought I felt something. His dark blue wallet had fallen behind, and almost completely under, the dresser. Whew. Disaster averted.

We started off with some easy farm roads on the way to Richfield, UT. We had some confusion with the roll charts in the beginning and the numbers didn't make sense, but once we found the canals, it was okay.

Stopped in Richfield to get coffee and find 6mm screws (the ones for the fender have disappeared - guess we did have some screws loose ). I tried to chat up this guy, but he was not amused. good doggie...

hi, cows.

Matt warned me that the Paiute Trail was supposed to be steep, narrow and rutted. I was nervous, as I always am.

I like the Paiute Trail mascot guy.

We loved the Paiute! It was all cool and shady...there were nice trees (hi, trees!) and pretty overlooks...And there was dirt (not gravel)! We could have played in there all day.

I always get caught up in enjoying the ride and I forget to take photos. This was a steep-ish section, with small ruts. Matt wanted more.

It was bright and hot and glare-y once we got back in the gravel.

We flew through the gravel roads today. Once Matt gets into his groove, we just listen to the ipod and the miles click by. We have an intercom, but we don't talk all the time. We discuss the roll charts, if necessary, and point out wildlife to each other, but most of the time we're just listening to playlists and watching the stuff whizz by.

At some point, we both notice what seem to be three bike tracks. They look fresh. Could it be themansfield (Andrew), Paul and Julian? Matt dials it up a notch and pretty soon we see three figures on the side of the road...

I really wish I had a photo of them to insert here. I suck.
Guys, get going on that ride report!

I don't know how thrilled they were to see us, but I sure was excited to see them! We had a little chit chat about the TAT and did some catching up, and then it was time to ride. We're always riding alone so I was looking forward to having some company. Matt rides with people all the time and he had warned me that it might not be as fun as I thought it was going to be - mostly, it would be dusty.

Man, he wasn't kidding. I had planned to take some action photos but the dust cloud from three bikes, riding in formation, was too much. I didn't think our crappy little camera could handle the grit (the lens protector had already started sticking in Moab) so I never even took it out. We enjoyed watching them ride, though, and they were really on the gas!

Later on, we met up at State Line for refueling and more chit chat. Originally, Matt and I had planned to stay at State Line because the next part of the trail included the last bypass section - "5 miles of single track and deep sand" - and it seemed like it would make for a long day. But, as always, we had arrived ahead of schedule and we decided to press on. Matt and I shared a nutritious lunch of beef jerky, mountain dew and a prepackaged muffin. Yum. We were hoping to ride with the guys on more interesting terrain, but we got the feeling that maybe they wanted us to go on ahead. Not that we blamed them in the slightest...they were having a manly camping adventure and here we were, a boring old sightseeing couple on a Goldwing.

We said our goodbyes, hoping to meet up again down the line, and headed back out to the desert. We had had some two track earlier and Matt was able to zoom along. Sometimes the two track is fine and fast and sometimes it's slow and scary. Most of the trail today was fine and fast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigWan screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 11:13 AM
Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #41
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
N

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #42
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Day 6 continued...

After we left State Line, the skies began to darken. We had some nice cooling rain, then some stinging hail.

After flying through the desert two track, we started to climb. We had finally arrived at the last bypass section - "5 miles of single track and deep sand." It drives me crazy that I can't find the name of this section on the roll chart or TAT map, so if anyone knows what it is, please let me know.

Here's a short video of the section.

What a great trail! Sandy, rocky...wide single track around trees...lots of twists and turns...Don't miss it! It was a blast. I think Matt would have gone back and done the whole thing again if it wasn't getting so late.

Christmas in July!

I think he liked it. Just a little.

Then it was back to the desert.

and more desert.

We saw lots of elk.

and cows.

I had never seen barbed wire gates until this trip. As pillion, it was my job to be gatemaster so I was always on the lookout for the damn things. This is the gate that almost got us. The sun was getting low and Matt was still happy from the sand wash so we were flying along. I thought I saw something, but I wasn't sure until the last second. "FENCE! FENCE! FENCE!"
He slid to a stop just in time.

This was such a pretty surprise - Chimney Rock Spring

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos from Lone Pine Summit. It was pretty, but I was busy enjoying the ride. Matt was still in his zone and we were zooming along in that smooth, easy, "flow" state. I love when the ride is like that. I don't normally check our speed, but at one point, I noticed that we were going kind of fast for such a steep rocky ascent. When I peeked over Matt's shoulder, I was concerned. Wow. I didn't want to break his concentration, so I just sat quietly. The speeds only increased as we went down the other side. Later, after we were back in the gravel, I asked about it. He had no idea how fast we were going but said he could see the perfect line and it just kept coming.

We were really racing the sun as we headed to Preston, NV.

We got to where Preston was supposed to be and looked around. Is this it? We rode the Preston Loop, thinking it would bring us to the main town. Uh oh. How about Lund? After going back to the Preston truck stop and seeing that the coffee shop was closed and the gas station only had 85-87 octane, we slabbed 39 miles to Ely and found a room at the Motel 6.

Today was one of our better riding days. One of those days that makes you really appreciate being on a bike.

Tomorrow - the trail giveth, the trail taketh away...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #43
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
Thumb

Fantastic! can't wait for more!!
Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #44
L Rider
"Road Worthy"

Oddometer: 351
What a great trip!!

Thanks for sharing......
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #45
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Matt, I think your wife is a better rider than you through those gnarly sections....she can ride with only one hand and take video with the other! Let's see...you need two hands, right. Anyway awesome riding for both of you. Great Report
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote