Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #76
Timpechoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild
Kelly & Matt,

Jack Molan, a good friend of mine sent me the link for your ride. Nice job!

We need to get Jack out on the dirt more!!! Enough of that big BMer with the fairing.

--Glenn Wakefield
Is this the RRO glen?????????????
Timpechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #77
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Rrr!!

Ride Report Respect!!

Matt - Just in case you didn't know the obvious THIS GIRL IS A KEEPER!!! Kelly you are a star!

To be honest I clicked the link on this RR and did not expect to get much out of it. How wrong could I be? Really enjoying it and taken a load of notes for my trip next year Canyonlands detour looks like a must.

Matt, did you get the Aux Gas tank from Turbocity? Do you rate them?

Keep up the great reporting and best of luck!

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #78
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by themansfield
I feel bad now for accepting your pain killer gift in Monticello...I think you needed them more than I did!

How about East Fork Quinn coming into Mcdermitt? I've never seen silt like that. You could ride with your mouth closed and still get it in your teeth.
Ah, no worries - we also had advil

We had to really put our heads together to remember East Fork Quinn - I think it was right after we passed some guys who were shooting at a suitcase (it was lying in the road in front of us) with their bow and arrow...
Yep, the good thing about not having any friends to ride with is - no dust!
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #79
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild
Kelly & Matt,

Jack Molan, a good friend of mine sent me the link for your ride. Nice job!

We need to get Jack out on the dirt more!!! Enough of that big BMer with the fairing.

--Glenn Wakefield
Hi Glenn,
Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
We didn't even know Jack did dirt - we've only seen J & J on the water!
We'll work on him...
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #80
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon
Ride Report Respect!!

Matt - Just in case you didn't know the obvious THIS GIRL IS A KEEPER!!! Kelly you are a star!

To be honest I clicked the link on this RR and did not expect to get much out of it. How wrong could I be? Really enjoying it and taken a load of notes for my trip next year Canyonlands detour looks like a must.

Matt, did you get the Aux Gas tank from Turbocity? Do you rate them?

Keep up the great reporting and best of luck!
LXIV-Dragon,
*blush* Well, matt certainly would have a hard time finding someone else dumb enough to ride with him!

He got the kolpin gas cans from Walmart, actually. They no longer sell them, though. On the way out to colorado, we did a tour of all the Walmarts, motorcycle and ATV shops, and hardware stores we could find in an attempt to replace a leaky one. No joy.
If the choice is between a larger main tank and kolpins, a larger main tank is the way to go. He only uses the kolpins because the loaded down 950 is such a gas hog (and even then, we only needed the extra gas once on the TAT).
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #81
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,001
That muddy stream crossing

Hey!

That muddy stream crossing...

We rode that section about a week before you.
When we got that crossing, the waters were just rising up.
The mud was deep and slippery. We had to wait a day for things to get under control.
Even then, it was tricky. I attempted the crossing and burried the bike up to the axles.
We eventually got the bike out of the stream crossing by going far left by that bunch of bushes.

Glad you got to "enjoy" the mud crossing too.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #82
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Day 10 continued...

Once the hail stopped, we got back on the trail towards Fort Bidwell, CA. The TAT had us clipping the corner of california today, before heading into oregon.

The last roll chart for NV indicated that gas could be obtained at the Fort Bidwell general store on Bridge St.
Good thing, because our fuel light had come on.

Another storm cell had been chasing us for miles, and it looked pretty ominous...

We got to Fort Bidwell and quickly found the General Store. Closed! Crap. We figured it was because today was a sunday...

But, after Matt stopped and talked to a mom in the park, we learned it had been closed for a few years. Actually, after doing a google search, I see that the Ft. Bidwell general store (built in 1876),
has been closed since 2000.

The nice mom told Matt that we could get gas at Cedarville, 26 miles away. She also said that there were 3 motels in the town. Considering that our fuel light had been on for a while now, and considering that the storm clouds were getting closer, we probably should have gone to Cedarville. But we didn't.

Matt checked our good kolpin gas can - we had close to a gallon in it. We have the two cans but one had suffered an "accident" (50+mph high-side crash with matt last summer) and has been leaky ever since. He tried to plastic weld it before this trip but it still leaked, so we only put gas in the good one.

We looked at the maps and Matt was pretty sure that we could make it to Lakeview on the gas that we had. Maybe. It was probably not the best plan, considering how badly we had gotten lost this morning in Denio Jct, but we did it anyway.

We followed the trail into the Modoc National Forest.

dismal swamp?

me: (joking) ha ha, "dismal swamp!" let's go there!
matt: (serious) that's where we're going.
me: aww, crap...

But the dismal swamp was beautiful. I didn't even know we had aspens in california.

I love the light in these photos

We got off trail a couple of times ("does that look like a 'bear left' or is it a 'left turn'?") but were quick to go back and correct our route. Couldn't afford to get lost or waste gas at this point.

After a while we came to a section of forest that had been recently drenched. The ground was full of deep puddles and, further ahead, it looked like it had been snowing. We must have just missed a downpour and a heavy dumping of that gumball-sized hail.

Whew. Glad we missed it.
We both immediately thought of the last time we were in mud and our speed dropped way down. The mud wasn't bad at first, but quickly turned super slick. The wheels started slipping and when Matt put his foot down, he said it felt like ice. Luckily, our experience in the mud outside of Eureka, NV came in handy; Matt put the front wheel in a water-and-hail-filled-rut and let the rut keep the wheel from slipping sideways. He was able to paddle along like that, carefully riding forward as I held my breath.

Meanwhile, the thunder and lightning was freaking me out. There was cracking and booming off in the distance and I swear it was getting closer...

Then we saw this.

We're not too bright, but even we figured it out (note to self: avoid big mudhole ) It probably would have been fine, but I didn't think I could handle another crash, or even a get-off, while I was still hurting.

You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Matt wanted me to stay on the bike with him, but I said, "no thanks" and hobbled across on my own. I was still gun shy around mud.

It had been so hot in Denio Jct, and at the Sheldon Refuge, earlier today. And now we were freezing! The temperature really dropped after the hail storm blew through. Brrrrr...

The hail got thicker.

Eventually, we got out of the slippery red mud and onto rocky sections with better traction. We picked up speed and were off...
We did the remaining 20 miles on nice dirt and gravel. So far, I'm impressed with the roads in oregon - they're pretty decent.

We got to Lakeview, OR and found a cheap room.

Maybe it was too cheap.
A room with a view.

We walked to the mexican restaurant on the corner (El Aguila Real) and had a nice dinner. Matt ordered an el pastor burrito and got a carnitas burrito (close enough). I had 2 chicken soft tacos. We both had large frosty mugs of ice cold beer. MMMmmmm...beer.

Tonight, we were celebrating! Okay, one of those days was spent sitting in a motel room in Battle Mtn, but that still counts, right?

Also, we made to Lakeview without running out of gas! We had a .25 gal to spare.

After dinner, I waited in our sketchy room and Matt walked to safeway to get me a bag of ice. Both my knees were swollen and hurting and I hoped they wouldn't get any worse. As tired as I was of the TAT and these stupid trails, I wasn't anxious to go home either. It's really fun being on the road, when it's not horrible.

Tomorrow - the earth opens up and swallows us whole!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigWan screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 10:48 AM
Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #83
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor

Glad you got to "enjoy" the mud crossing too.
Q~
Oh, that's like a spa treatment for your bike, right?

Bet the mud smelled a little sweeter back then, too.
Ah, the TAT....
(I'm off to go find your RR!)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #84
what have i got into
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
great great great

Love the ride report. It's great to have just finished this and to see that i wasn't the only one out there lost or fighting the sand, or fighting the mud, or fighting the hail, or ...... Also love the pictures as i took as many as I could riding, but whenever the trail got sketchy, I took absolutely no photos. And when I crashed, I was usually so tired or so anxious to get the bike back up I never got the camera out. So thanks for all the great shots as I vividly recognize a lot of these areas.

Ethan

TAT - ride report
what have i got into is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #85
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Loving it guys!!

*goes off to find a way to get the 950 to USA*
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #86
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
kolpin gas cans

...just in case anyone is looking. Found them on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4zwexdppc7_b

Thanks.

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #87
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by what have i got into
Love the ride report. It's great to have just finished this and to see that i wasn't the only one out there lost or fighting the sand, or fighting the mud, or fighting the hail, or ...... Also love the pictures as i took as many as I could riding, but whenever the trail got sketchy, I took absolutely no photos. And when I crashed, I was usually so tired or so anxious to get the bike back up I never got the camera out. So thanks for all the great shots as I vividly recognize a lot of these areas.

Ethan
But, don't you miss it? The being lost, the sand, the mud, the hail...
We miss it all. Being home totally sucks.
Too bad we didn't cross paths out there... I feel for you, having done NV and OR solo. Give us a PM if you want to reminisce about the hassles of the trail!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #88
Questor
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWan
Oh, that's like a spa treatment for your bike, right?

Bet the mud smelled a little sweeter back then, too.
Ah, the TAT....
(I'm off to go find your RR!)
Hello BigWan.

I'm still traveling and have not stopped to do a Ride Report yet.
Perhaps I'll be done mid September and will get around to writing the report then.

Right now, gotta ride.
Q~
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #89
BigWan OP
The Cripple Maker

8/3/09 Day 11 of the TAT: Lakeview, OR to Crescent, OR aprox. 150 miles

*** NOTE - if you are planning to do the Oregon part of the TAT soon, you might want to take a look at this section. ***

We were looking forward to the riding today so we got an early start, only to spend the morning getting super frustrated. And worse.

Mama deer and fawns on the railroad tracks.

We were supposed to get on the trail just past those railroad tracks, but the gate was locked (mile 042.42). We were hesitant to trespass, but we really wanted to get on the TAT today. After a short debate, the tyranny of the trail won out and we went around the locked gate and skulked down the road.

The numbers didn't seem to be working today and everything seemed to be off. We had a hard time finding "045.01 - bear LEFT dirt."
This is the first gate we went through:

This gate went to a barbed wire gate. Going through the barbed wire gate led to a dead end. It just didn't feel right, so we went back to the pavement and tried again.

We saw an opening in a fence here, between the sign and the power pole, just before the private driveway. It was just a little earlier on the odometer than the previous gate had been, but it kind of looked like the entrance to a road (this one didn't have a gate and we could see recent bike tracks going in, so it had a lot of potential).

We followed the bike tracks across an overgrown field that had really tall weeds. I was nervous riding in a place where we couldn't see the ground - what if we ran over some sharp metal and slashed the tires? We followed the tracks to a closed gate. I don't think it was locked, but this didn't feel right either. As we looked around, we saw a guy watching us from his house. This was probably his field...
He raised one hand in greeting - it was your typical brief, friendly, "hi" kind of wave.

I said, "we should go ask that guy and see if he knows where this road is." Matt agreed and he turned to ride towards the house. I remember saying, "I hope he..."

The next thing I knew, I was lying on my back, unable to breathe.

When Matt said he was "going to ride the 950 into the ground", I never dreamed we would be on it at the time!

I had to lie there for a little bit. I couldn't see Matt or the bike, but then I heard Matt ask if I was okay. I was. What the hell happened?
The guy who owns the house and field, Randal, came running over to see if we were okay. He said, "Are you guys alright? I saw you riding over here and I thought, 'uh oh, I hope they don't find any of the holes.'" It turns out that Randal had used a backhoe to dig a bunch of large test holes for his septic system. We were lucky enough to find one of them and ride into it. The hole was about 3 and a half feet deep with a square edge.

Matt wasn't sure how fast we were going, but he's usually on the gas. It felt like it had been fast. I don't remember anything, but from what Matt and Randal said, we rode into the sloping part of the hole and then hit the flat back of it - hard. The bike stopped and the rear came up, throwing us forward and off. Matt was pile-driven into the ground right in front of the bike and I flew over and past him and landed on my face. We scared the crap out of Randal, that's for sure.

Matt had hit the ground with the very top of his head - he didn't even break the visor on his helmet. His neck was really hurting and was starting to stiffen up. At least he was up and walking and he didn't seem confused. I had a busted lip and my ribs were painful. It hurt to breathe, it hurt to laugh, and my side was sore to the touch.

The poor bike was a mess, too. Randal offered to get his truck to pull it out, but Matt was able to hold onto it and ride it out of the hole (with Randal pulling from the front). Randal told us to come up to the house and get cleaned up, and we were able to talk for a little bit.

He said he was confused as to why we were out in his field. Randal has owned this parcel for three years and every summer he sees puzzled motorcyclists all over his property, looking at funny maps. He couldn't understand why it was never cars, but always bikes. So we were able to clear that up for him.
That first gate we went through also belongs to Randal. It seems that many years ago, the road went all the way through, but since then the land had been sold. He rides and he didn't seem too upset by having TATers on his property, but it's terrible that the TAT roll chart directs people onto his land. Not just because it might be annoying for him, but because it can be dangerous for the riders.

Randal had to go to work (he does construction), so we said our goodbyes. We thanked him for the cold water and the use of his tools. Randal was a nice guy and we feel sorry for him having to deal with TATers all over his property.
But, looking back, would it have killed him to try and warn us about the holes?
If he had held up two hands, palms facing us, in a "stop" motion...
If he had swept both hands back and forth, palms down, across each other like an umpire saying "yer out"...
If he had waved both arms over his head, trying to get our attention...
If he had done anything besides give us that one, brief, friendly wave and then watch; we never would have ridden over to him and fallen into that hole. Sigh.

We were hating it. Here's Matt trying to fix the steering. It was all bent up and everything was rubbing. It's amazing that neither the windshield nor the mirrors had broken.

It's hard to tell from this photo, but my top lip is cut up and swollen. It got about three times as big by the end of the day. I'm making a funny face because Matt asked, "can't you stop smiling for 2 minutes?" Apparently not.

Randal's place. He's in the middle of building his house.

Another rough day for the fire extinguisher...

After we left Randal's, we noticed the bike was making a weird noise - the front knobby was rubbing on something. Eventually, Matt figured out that the tire was hitting the crossmember of the crash bars. The immediate solution was to remove the crossmember - since we never crash, why would we need crashbars?

Even after removing the crossmember, the tire continued to rub against the bash plate. Not good news. Matt began to worry that either the frame was bent or the forks were bent. Or both. So we got that going for us...

After seeing the TAT map, Randal had said that he knew which road we wanted and he explained how to get there. This road, Dusenbury Road, is directly across from the stop sign at mile 044.03. HOWEVER, you DO NOT want to take this road - it's a private road and there's a locked gate at the other end.

Instead, maybe try this: follow the roll chart, but DO NOT bear left at 045.01. Instead, go straight on pavement over the hill and left after the prison. This should put you on the correct road, but you'll have to figure out where to turn right onto dirt. BE ADVISED that we didn't go this way, so we can't say for sure that it works. But it should. In theory.

After going around the locked gate at the end of Dusenbury, we were able to follow the TAT for a couple of miles until we got to an impassable (barbed wire on either side), locked gate for road 3780.

We wasted a lot of time in the forest, trying to find an alternative road that would pick up the TAT further down the line.

We saw a lot of pretty, fun roads and a lot of ugly, torn up roads; but still couldn't pick up the TAT. Maybe someone with a good GPS and topos could do it, but we couldn't.

We found nothing but dead ends.
Eventually, we went all the way back out to the forest entrance. We found paved road 28 (Thomas Creek) and that got us to Happy Camp and back on the trail.

I wish we had been Happy Campers, but we were anything but. My ribs hurt with every jolt and jar of the ride. Matt's neck was killing him and was getting stiffer by the minute. And the bike. The bike was still making that weird rubbing sound every time Matt hit the brakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigWan screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 11:21 AM
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #90
Questor
More Undestructable

WOW!

You guys just aren't getting any breaks are you?
My TAT experience was a lot easier than yours, and even I whinned about things like the section after Battle Mountain and Lakeview.

I did take a nice header as we were leaving the National Forest towards Lakeview. I was going accross a field towards the last section of paved road, and I hit a big ditch at about 35mph and went soaring through the air and landed on my shoulder and head. The bike, asisde fom a more broken windscreen did fine.

Waiting to find out what else happened with you...
Q~