Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #61
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 478
This is a superb RR. Thank you for providing such an informative and insightful narrative to go with the photos. I also very much appreciate the ADVrider responses from those that served during this time. Thank you all.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #62
merchantofmenace
STFUAGBTW

Oddometer: 27
You guys are hardcore! You should write a book about this experience....
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #63
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Awesome report.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #64
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,705
Amazing ride report!!! A true adventure!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #65
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Please tell me there is more!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #66
motorradrudi
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
An extremely adventures!

Thank you very much for sharing with us!

Best greatings from Germany
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #67
Suqsuda OP
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 165
Wink

Thanks to all of you for your feedback, I really appreciate it; I agree with IceCreamSoldier that the fellow inmate replies really help make the RR. And Bluebull, sorry to say that this RR is near its end. In fact that night in Saravane we started our end-of trip celebration a little early and some of us hit the whiskey after a good meal of steak-frites in a Vietnamese-run cafe. One of us who will remain nameless, who rode through some of the most challenging stretches without even putting a foot down, hit the pavement and crashed hard while walking back to the hotel from the restaurant. The next morning the old ladies who ran the hotel, who had seen the whole thing, pantomimed us staggering back while holding each other up; they used a plastic water bottle as a prop for our whiskey bottle, which they passed back and forth and guzzled from. They were bent double laughing and had us laughing, too. They kept saying 'Mao Lao," which I take it means 'drunk in Laos.' A big steaming bowl of spicy pho soup and noodles with some king of beef knuckle bone the size of a fist helped some of us over hangovers.

Items picked up on the trail:

This rocket launcher was an American weapon, according to its markings. We Googled the serial number but didn't come up with anything. I had to wonder about its story -- dropped by some Special Forces team in a desperate engagement? It seems to me to be the type of weapon you would choose to ambush trucks on the trail.

We had an easy ride on paved road that day to Attepu. I rode out ahead and had a kind of unnerving experience that falls into the "strangest things you've ever hit" category . I was riding at about 110 km/hr, perfectly clear, no traffic, and I saw a dark cloud hanging over the highway. As I closed on it, I could see that it was undulating, and also pulsing -- expanding and contracting. It was right at my level and stretched across both lanes -- no going around it. I was closing on it more quickly than I was thinking -- I thought, "Must be gnats, I'll ride through 'em" then I hit it and it was like being pelted with handfuls of gravel -- it was a swarm of bees. I hit about 20 of them -- they bounced off my helmet, my body -- I was just wearing two t-shirts -- one hit the lens of my goggles. Then I was through. I saw about a half dozen of then stuck to my shirt, which I frantically brushed off with my left hand. Brought to mind the scene in the novel "Setting Free the Bears."

The next day we rode some twisties and hairpin turns to the Tri-Border area where the trail exits Laos at the Vietnam/Cambodia border.

The mountaintop in the background was Leghorn base, an impregnable U.S. Special Forces base and lookout that they reached only by helicopter. A couple years ago local villagers found a way up, cleared out old Claymore mines and barbed wire and scavenged it for scrap metal. I hear you can hike up there, although we didn't do it.

Our last day we rode up and over the Bolovens Plateau to Pakse on a dirt road. We found this waterfall at the end of an unmarked little dirt side trail. A beautiful country:

Past the waterfall we found ourselves racing against the setting sun once again on a deeply potholed red dirt road as we headed for Pakse, our final destination. This time, we won, arriving at dusk. We parked the bikes and Digby bought a round of beers with which we toasted one another. He said, "Gentlemen, that was quite some ride."

I'm thankful to my co-riders -- Digby for leading the way and charting the course and having the guts to push forward; Steph for bringing up the rear, making sure nobody was left behind, and for his riding pointers and tips; Ray for all his help -- and his cooking. And all of them for their cameraderie and good spirits.

Thanks to you ADV members who read this report, and a special thanks to those of you who commented.
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #68
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Love your Ride Report and photos, great shots of the jungle and rivers. Saludos y feliz viaje amigos

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #69
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
well done looks amazing can't wait to go there some day
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #70
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Brilliant!! Im sorry it ended so soon, what a great report.

I especially enjoyed the finish where you guys couldn't walk home after the evening out.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #71
Andy G
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
wow, what a ride! Thanks!

Andy
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #72
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
So well written and well Photographed

For those of us for whom the Viet Nam War was so much of our lives I thank you. Such a beautiful Part of the world It is so good to see that life after the war has brought some peace to these very hard working People.

Really this is a moving report. Thank you again
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #73
DauntlessDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Awesome report!

I only wish it was longer! The steep trails in "the Crux" look really challenging in photos, so I'm sure they were even more intimidating in person.
1993 Honda CB250 (sold)--1989 Honda NX250 (sold)--1975 Honda CB360T (sold, sadly, to help pay for..)--1999 BMW F650 Classic (sold, never gelled with that bike)--2002 Ninja 250 (totaled, frame cracked on a pothole, rode it home)--2012 Yamaha XT 250
DauntlessDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #74
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Amazing Report! First Class!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #75
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,147
That's one hell of a ride report from a part of the world we don't see often around here.
5 Stars!