User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
How to fix engine guards SMW

Ok... Long story story short I laid my bike down on the highway, on the way to work a few days ago... The heavens above or what-ever shone their light down on me... I walked away and rode away... after the highway patrol the fire department and emsa took a look at me... I promise you today that if i was not wearing my helmet i would be dead or in a hospital... one of the few visual memories i have is me hitting the asphalt... friggin hard...!!!!

My engine guard, my hand guards, my case rack... did there job.... which leads to my second visual memory of skidding to a stop and watching my SWM engine guards scraping along the asphalt...

Ok, i'll be fine, bike is fine except blinker... (epoxy is great) but my engine guards are now touching the body on one side and I assume several more inches away on the other...

Has any one ever tried to fix this after a crash? should I just get new ones or a sledge hammer...

I ride a F650GS (2009)

Very sore but very thankful,
Thanks for any input...

Peter in OKC,OK
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Glad to hear you're okay.

My suggestion would be to take the plunge and replace the crashbars. This should be covered on your insurance if you've made a claim and had the bars noted on your policy, but it won't cost very much (in the big scheme of things) if you choose to pay cash.

They've done their job magnificently well, but they are a sacrificial part; a repaired set may have fatigue or cracking issues you won't discover until next time you lay it down (although I pray that you won't).

And they never look "just right" again anyway!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
If give hammering them back into shape a shot, don't do it with the bars still installed on the bike!
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Woof! Sounds like you "laid" your bike down pretty hard for the bars to bend, Peter. Glad you were able to walk away.

I agree with raider. Replace the bars. Once they're bent, they won't ever give you the same level of protection again.

This is the third instance that I've read about of the bars that extend high up along the plastic (Adv. Spec & SW-Motech) bending like this in a dump. I wonder if that just goes with the design, being that their fulcrum point is so far from their tips. FWIW, I've "laid" my bike down twice now on my Givis, which extend out rather than high, and they have shown no evidence of bending.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Woof! Sounds like you "laid" your bike down pretty hard for the bars to bend, Peter. Glad you were able to walk away.

I agree with raider. Replace the bars. Once they're bent, they won't ever give you the same level of protection again.

This is the third instance that I've read about of the bars that extend high up along the plastic (Adv. Spec & SW-Motech) bending like this in a dump. I wonder if that just goes with the design, being that their fulcrum point is so far from their tips. FWIW, I've "laid" my bike down twice now on my Givis, which extend out rather than high, and they have shown no evidence of bending.

David
Yes, I'm rather happy with my Givis too after a couple of faceplants. However, there's a lot of unsupported metal up high on a design like this - they will bend in a big drop. The over-the-plastic upper parts will only protect the fairing in low-speed or stationary spills.