User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
AKDuc OP
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Homer On Kachemak Bay, Alaska

Did a quick overnighter 220mi south of Anchorage to Homer with a few other ADV inmates the other weekend.

Got some nice shots so thought I'd put into a report form to display em. It was my first time back to Homer in a number of years. I usually go to Seward since it's 100mi closer and I enjoy kayaking more in Seward as there's a LOT less tidal influence.

How much tidal influence? Well, Homer sits on Kachemak Bay which is part of Cook Inlet which also borders Anchorage. Cook Inlet has been misnomered as the 2nd highest tide in North America ranging over 28' (8.5m)! The mouths of the surrounding smaller bays can even turn into class 3 rapids when the tide is running! AND, the most confused seas I've ever paddled in were right off the Homer Spit where waves were coming from three different directions! So, I usually go to Seward.

Since there are so many shots of the "artsy" town of Homer itself and the promontory know as the Spit, I didn't shoot those but instead got more of the surrounding area.

We had the good fortune of knowing someone down there who had space for us to sleep. We also had the very good fortune of great weather! Yay, much appreciated at a coastal Alaskan community.

Here are a few of us on this trip. Yours truly on the far right and Farnorthbusa on the far left. Between us stand FlyRescue, aka Ben, and his lovely bride to be Laura. Ben and Laura are getting married this Saturday the 15th! This was there first trip out of town on their "new" SkullStrom that they just got from ADV'er AKTroy. They're so impressed with how well the Strom does 2-up that they're even thinking of a vanity plate saying ADV2UP.

Now I should have taken a photo of the view just over this edge looking down on Katchemak Bay. Very nice. Next time.

There were a few other inmates down there with us too who where staying with friends and relatives elsewhere. Here's Haydutchesslives, aka Amy, looking at some Wild Cotton. That's her Suzuki DR with the IMS tank in the distance.

ADVn00b Nordkapper was also down there for his first visit. He was staying with local ADV'er AK Charlie. Hopefully they'll all add some photos here too for your viewing pleasure.

So enough of the "players" how about some of that lovely surrounding scenery?

All these were taken off the fun twisty East End Road that's paved for about 20mi (32km) east of Homer. It dead ends and turns to a steep dirt road going down to the beach and out to a Russian Orthodox community of Old Believers. The Russian Orthodox has long been part of Alaska's history and can still be found throughout much of the State.

The Fireweed was out in full bloom IMO adding a lot to the photos.

I mentioned a steep dirt road. How steep? Steep enough to give Vic some concern as it was his first real dirt incline on his new WeeStrom. He did fine and it only added to the awe of the whole weekend. Here's one of the many hairpin corners. Fun!

About half way down there was little pull out that we went into for a little photo shoot.

The SkullStrom decided it wanted to take a "nap." No problem, Ben and Laura took it all in good stride.

Just how long was this descent? Well, this was from about 1/2 way down.

I let the guys get down there for a little perspective.

Down on the beach.

The community of Old Believers is just around this corner.

And in the other direction, Homer would be WAY around that distant corner. The darkness of the beach in these photos is in part due to all the coal that is washed out of that black seam about 2/3's the way up the cliff in this photo. Many locals heat with the coal as all you have to do is drive down to the beach and load up.

Let's start heading back, shall we?

Russian Orthodox grave site.

Now I'll end my portion of this report with a couple scenic shots from along the road that captured some of the brilliance of the Fireweed.

I say my portion because I'm gonna encourage the others on this trip to post up some shots they got from our very fun filled weekend. Ya hoo, good times! Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 01:05 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Thanks for the spectacular Alaska ride report and pics!! I hope your riding buddies will post some pics too
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,044
Great pictures Mark... thanks for sharing.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
beautiful.

mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
AK Charlie
Born Again

Oddometer: 610
Excellent report and pic's. Jon took ton's of pic's too. He needs to get some posted here. Since I live here and see the scenery daily I didn't sport a camera while showing Jon the sights.
AK Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,956
I really miss camping on the beaches down there!

Beautiful...

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
seniorburro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Fireweed grows everywhere

Thank You Mark for taking the time to capture the essence 0f what looks like a great trip! Everyone viewng appreciates the effort.
Good to see Folks dressed for "battle". All the Best to the Lucky Couple!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
Camping on the Spit after a 4000 mile ride from Texas 2 years ago was one of the highlites of our trip. Never enough Ak. photos in my opinion. Though being there is even better. Having great weather is a huge plus.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
oldbeatupguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Great pictures Mark! Wish I was there.

A bunch of my Anchorage relitives are at our place in Washington visiting this week. Lots of complaining about the heat.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
vegasphotog
Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer: 3,259
Awesome pix mark of the fireweed and the beach scenes...looks like you had a good crew. Those darn stroms have a knack of going to sleep.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Great photos! We're heading down to Homer in a couple weeks - hopefully we'll have nice weather too.
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
Spectacular!

These pix were so good, I looked at them twice, not sure if that's enough. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. This one is really, really good !