User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Russell Seat for 640 Adventure

I finally broke down and got a Russell seat for the Adventure. Man is it comfy. It did make touching the ground a little harder but it's worth it. I still have my Factory Comfort seat for the real dirt. I will be trying the Russell this weekend on a Dual Sport ride and report back later. Here is link to the ride report.

This is what the seat looked like during the process.

this is what it looks like finished.

ktmnate screwed with this post 08-11-2004 at 12:34 PM
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
Well, nobody ever bought a Russel because it looks good... this one is no exception!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Ugly stick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kleponis
Well, nobody ever bought a Russel because it looks good... this one is no exception!
I'm glad somebody had the guts to say what I was thinking. I hate to call your baby ugly but I sure hope it feels better than it looks...

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,426
I've got a Russell for my F650. It looks silly, but it's really comfortable. It does make flatfooting with both feet a little difficult, but it makes a 600 mile trip comfortable. Of course, when you are sitting on it, no one can see it, and that's all that matters.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
I'm glad somebody had the guts to say what I was thinking. I hate to call your baby ugly but I sure hope it feels better than it looks...

CC
no problem. I already know it's ugly but it feels soooo goood.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
GoGriz
Gelandestrasse

Oddometer: 190
Nate-

When I went up there for my RT's seat, Jim showed me all of the 950 pans they had waiting to be built up. When I came back a second time I had my 640, and one of the other guys on an ST1300 waiting on his seat mentioned that he'd heard KTM seats sucked. Jim said that was largely true for the 950s and that is why so many are getting Russellized. He said they basically put a motocross seat on the bike!

Let us know how you like yours as you break it in and after! Way to go, man!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
I hate to call your baby ugly but I sure hope it feels better than it looks...

CC
Sucks to be a fashion victim eh? Although if you need fashion and feel I hear boejangles' seats are da bomb.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
I finally broke down and got a Russell seat for the Adventure. Man is it comfy. It did make touching the ground a little harder but it's worth it. I still have my Factory Comfort seat for the real dirt. I will be trying the Russell this weekend on a Dual Sport ride and report back later. Here is link to the ride report.

This is what the seat looked like during the process.

this is what it looks like finished.

No Offense but are you F^^^ING Kidding me...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
No Offense but are you F^^^ING Kidding me...
Nope! I know it's not up to the Ricky standard but man is it comfy. I still have the factory comfort seat for the dirt. But this thing makes going the distance much more fun. Before the seat, the best I could do was 60 miles without having to stop. On the way home, I did 180+ miles non-stop. It is actually more comfortable than my GS. It will probably suck off road, but will test this weekend just for shits and giggles.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,304
its far better then the cinder block seat that KTM throws on, the katoom seat is made for fashion , pure and simple, if the stocker were a true off road seat it would be a flat deck not the sharp angle rising to the rear.

I too first thought these seats were ugly, however if your concerns are motorcyle fashion , prehaps a sportbike or a cruiser is the way to go , but really who gives a shit about looks here? hmm look at the popular bikes here, KLR-whoa even kawasaki execs admit its one homely MoFO, GS? might be pretty to you, thats 'cause it works, the rest of humanity however its arolling ferry boat... KTM950? see last line, DL650? Frickin Alien front end ( just bought one too) ... do i need to go on?

A comfortable seat, a non burning ass, to me thats a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting this, if I had known they made 'em I might still have my LC4, ( 5 gallon tank- butt ugly to most people) . I think KTM must of studied seat design in a Turkish Prison.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Nope! I know it's not up to the Ricky standard but man is it comfy. I still have the factory comfort seat for the dirt...
Right on, ktmnate. Now you can go both ways. Who cares if others don't like how you seat looks as long as your ass does? Not many KTMs out in the world have comfy seats. Now your's does. Way to go. I wish you many, many happy miles.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #12
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Nope! I know it's not up to the Ricky standard but man is it comfy. I still have the factory comfort seat for the dirt. But this thing makes going the distance much more fun. Before the seat, the best I could do was 60 miles without having to stop. On the way home, I did 180+ miles non-stop. It is actually more comfortable than my GS. It will probably suck off road, but will test this weekend just for shits and giggles.

sorry nate i was not trying to offend you or anything,since you are such a cool guy,but the first pictures were like a nightmare scene in a "the Zombies from Sturgis"

somebody will say,,,hey what ever float your boat,the good thing is in this case you already have the Boat already

again this is not to offend you,but everytime i see the pictures i think of this other pictures
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #13
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
sorry nate i was not trying to offend you or anything,since you are such a cool guy,but the first pictures were like a nightmare scene in a "the Zombies from Sturgis"

somebody will say,,,hey what ever float your boat,the good thing is in this case you already have the Boat already

again this is not to offend you,but everytime i see the pictures i think of this other pictures
No offence taken. I know the seat is ugly. The factory seat was just so bad, I had to do something. My daily comute is 36 miles each way. My ass would be soar before I got to work. I thought about Corbin, but had 4 of them in the past and didn't like any of them.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:09 AM   #14
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
No offence taken. I know the seat is ugly. The factory seat was just so bad, I had to do something. My daily comute is 36 miles each way. My ass would be soar before I got to work. I thought about Corbin, but had 4 of them in the past and didn't like any of them.
oh yeah believe i feel you pain,i use to have a 640 ADVenture and for sure the seat was a big pain in the butt,not to mension the little b^^e balls,,that stock seat on the ADVenture is pretty much the wrost you can get,well actually many of the dirt bikes feature wrost ones but then the bikes are not soppose to go so far.

well how about increasing the room for your legs so your feet can sopport more or the body mass and you butt suffer a little less,also remenber the angle and location of the bars plays a big roll ,,is all about mass distribution the more you spread it,the least each contact point needs to carry,the better you body feels at the end of the day
Old 08-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Each one his own taste etc, but NO WAY that will ever get on my bike.
Freedom of speech, sorry I had to say this!

A rally seat on the other hand... :P
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote