Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #151
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Ok, we're at Watson Lake, YT. (I mistakenly referred to it as Walker Lake earlier), and IdeaMan is busily tending to the RR. I kid him about always being the last one to pack, but realistically he spends an hour and a half every night on the rr... so I have to cut him some slack there.

Today's ride was the best so far. By a long shot. About 450 miles of just super scenery, the likes of which I'd never seen before, at least not in this abundance. The stretch of the Alaska Hwy from Sikanni toward Ft Nelson was nondescript to a degree.. mostly miles and miles if tree-lined highway.

We took a detour around Dawson Creek and rejoined the Alcan above Ft St John taking The Hudson's Hope loop. It was much prettier, but not even close to the run from Ft Nelson to Watson Lake. One spectacular visra after another through glacier carved valleys that the highway and rivers follow. Wait till you guys see THESE pix!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #152
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,608
Ride safe boys!

Honey says "Hi!"

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #153
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Ride safe boys!

Honey says "Hi!"
Thanks, Rog! Hiya, Honey

Into Whitehorse Thursday... gonna get wet :-)

TKC's laundry, brewery. This ride's been way too dry
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #154
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Glad you had a good ride today! I'm still looking for that RR! Muncho Lk and Liard are awesome! Lots of wildlife... bears, cariboo, goats, buffalo, ... And great scenery!!

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #155
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
Glad you had a good ride today! I'm still looking for that RR! Muncho Lk and Liard are awesome! Lots of wildlife... bears, cariboo, goats, buffalo, ... And great scenery!!
Yes, Ma'am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Ride safe boys!

Honey says "Hi!"

Hey Roger! Glad to hear you made it back safely. Isn't that '06 a dream to ride?
Hacky was sure appreciative.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #156
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Day Four
Quesnel to Sikanni Chief Campground
No really, we spent the whole night in a campground. In our respective tents.

North toward the start of the Alcan (technically the Alaska Highway, but Alcan has a marvelous economy to it IMHO)

Here is the son of the father and son team (sorry, dad's name is Andy, I believe. There was too much travel talkfor me to remember names)

We got out of Dodge earlier than the day before. But still not really early. I’m starting to figure some systems out about how to do things and how they attach to the bike, but…it’s a process.
The almost empty Travel Lodge.

The people there were tremendously helpful. Offered us rags to clean our windshields and whatnot. GRN recommended.
Up the western approach route

We had the benefit of a fairly strong tail wind almost all day.

And by what I believe are the Canadian Rockies

A cool shot of us by a lake.

The bugs were out and the yellow jacket I'm wearing attracts bees like nobody's business. So we kept our helmets on for this one
The scenery was pretty good.

Through Hudsons Hope Loop

and the nearby dam.

We hit the Alaska Hwy at Mile 54 Shell station.

And rode into the nothingness.

The first couple hundred milesof the Alcan are pretty boring punctuated by some occasional interesting feature.

The road as it goes down to the Sikanni Chief River.
The Sikanni Chief Campground was about 75% full and we were relegated to “full hook-up sites”

So we recharged everything we had and made the most of it.

The satellite dish performed remarkably as it darn well should have having been hauled all this way.
Some shots of the set-up.

Remarkably fast
It came down reasonably fast excpt that I had ice on the inside of the outter shell of yttent when I woke up and we needed a little time to dry it.
The Sikanni Chief area became famous for the bridge the Negro Engineer Corps built during construction. It was built n record time and about 15 years ago, someone set fire to the wooden superstructure and basically all that is now left are these two pilings.

The restaurant,,,, well there is no restaurant, so we were forced to have Ice cream and chips for dinner. We really took one for the team.

No one mentioned anything about bears!!!!!
Ah well, 25.00 for the night. Flush Toilets and showers. Two of my favorite things.

[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 01:24 AM
Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #157
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
Lots of bison today... a few cariboo.. and all the other usual suspects including some pretty wild truckers,

Roadway was mostly good, too, plenty of chip seal going on, but mostly short patches. The gravel didn't slow us down, but the dust can get pretty bad sometimes. We should get rinsed off tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #158
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
Hi guys! Thanks for the update and great pictures.

And IdeaMan-- why are you surprised that your yellow jacket attracts bees?? (sorry, couldn't resist)
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #159
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Day Five – The Ride Starts Here

Ah yes, I remember it like it was only yesterday….

Started the day off with some seriously smooth
We got on the road at 0845 and stopped 20 minutes later at the Bucking Horse,

Truck stop/lodge/restaurant.

I had a good omelet with a piece of carrot cake and I was not hungry again for 7 hours. I wrote that down as remarkable.
While I (idea man) was waiting for Dyvking, I saw something large and brown crossing the road off in the distance and decided to abandon Dyvking in an effort to get the shot at whatever it was. Had it been a horse I would have felt pretty stupid.
It was a Moose

I tried to sneak up on her but she shape shifted/dissolved into the tree line when I got closer. Seems the moose, unlike the bison, don’t car for the cars so much.
Back out to the nothingness that is this part of the Alcan.
However this day we were treated to some very fresh pavement.

Lovely
On up the road to Ft. Nelson

Got gas and made a few phone calls. Oddly only one of our carriers worked up there. (Verizon)
The Road to Yellow knife starts here.

We met our first friendly flagger.
Meet Denise

She waved us up front and let us go a little early and we shared out personal stories about how the high viz outfits attract bugs and bees. They think I’m a flower.:ymca

Now it was ON!
Up into the Rockies we climbed.

It was one stunning view after another,

followed by a patch of loose gravel to keep things interesting

We were loose in a construction zone with what I would consider light traffic and around each bend, over each rise, it was just one amazing thing after another.

First metal grated bridge.

Cake

Summit lake

Followed by Muncho Lake (In a moment)
It was during this stretch that we had our only Mad Max moment of the ride (thus far)
We came to a construction site and there was a big rig ahead of us. The flagger motioned us to the front as expected. Only this time it was a trap! The flagger hadn’t been motioning to us at all, she was motioning to the girl truck driver (very unusual in these parts) to proceed.
We figured it was our mistake but not until we were alongside the moving big rig with an ever decreasing hole through which we had to fit two rather portly bikes. We ended up straddling the flag girl (not as fun as it sounds ) and drawing an animated walkie-talkie pointing tongue lashing (again, not as fun as it sounds) from the flag girl’s counterpart, the evil Head Flag Girl. No pics of either for obvious reasons.
The female truck driver was not so easily avoided. She node out tails (not as fun as it sounds) for the next several miles. We were able to make some space on a very steep uphill section but eventually we found a side road and hid like the shame-filled little girls that we were. We were pushing to stay ahead of this truck on an unfamiliar gravel patched road in the Canadian Rockies. What could be safer?
As we fled, I got this one shot of her bearing down on Dyvking. (not as fun as it sounds)

Too busy to get any more.
Next stop Muncho Lake (but wait....)
Guess who was waiting there for us?
As we paid for our gas, I noticed a blond female (no pics) about my size, maybe a little bigger, standing and watching us through a screen door. It was like she didn’t think we could see her. I think the word is glowering. She was glowering at us. That look of scorn. These people (truckdrivers) are a pretty tight knit bunch and they have radios, so the last thing I wanted to do was leave any, or I guess reaffirm in this case, any bad feelings, so I went to her and asked:
Me. “Did we cut you off back there? Are you the one?” (pretending there are several blond female truck drivers out there.)
Her, ”Oh, I wasn’t bothered by it but you almost hit the flag girl”

(I missed her by a mile….but dyvking went behind her which may have been, uh, a little uncomfortable. He had it though, it wasn’t that close)
Me. “Yeah we blew that one. We thought the flagger waived us up…..(seeing that the reason didn’t really matter) Ah, it doesn't really matter. We screwed that up and I just wanted to apologize.” (to you and all your radio talkin’ family out there.)
Her. “It’s okay, but if you see that flag girl again, you should say that to her. I wasn’t bothered.” (then why were you trying to run up our arses [not what it sounds])
We parted friends. Riiiiiiight.
She immediately turned around and started telling her compadres the story of these two idiot bikers who cut in front of her at the last flag zone. Fortunately, they had apologized.
Dyvking took a shot at groveling to her as well as she was remounting her truck and seemed to chip off some of the cranky, but we did what we could. We figured it was better to swallow a little pride and mitigate any possible damages than to provide Alcan truck drivers another reason to take their half out of the middle when approaching bikers. No pictures were taken during these interractions as it was not her eyes I was worried about but rather the eyes of her bretherin in the cafe. We did blow it, we just didn't want them running us down (litterally) for it. It's a small world out there on the Alcan.
We didn’t see her again.
On up the road

Steamboat ?(we didn't bring the miles[ost that tell you all these landmarks)

There was a cariboo

More road (sorry for those of you looking for no road)

Thes were evocative. I can't remember where but they remind me of somewhere w've been on this trip.

Don't worry, it'll come to me.

Alluvial or Glacial - You decide. The science teacher says "a big friggin' rock pile"

Muncho Lake (finally)

The main thriving Ladge in the area. It had just opened when I came through here last.

It is beautiful

There were the always present sheep on the side of the road.

Apparently they don’t like the sound of BMW engines being revved while they go by.
Otherwise they were oblivious to the RV’s and trailer and truckers struggling to get past. (They are SHEEP people! Not unicorns. Move along!)
Then came the bison

This one bastard was walking along side the road and suddenly decided to race me for the centerline. I had more horses than he and I was in the right gear because I wasn’t taking pictures, so I won our little race but he stopped in from of Dyvking just to make his point.

We passed Liard (pronounced Lee-ard) hot spring and didn’t stop. But I did acknowledge them.
For the past two months this whole area was almost impassible due to the smoke from the 100,000 acre fires that were burning in the area.
Then came the bison again.

There were about three distinct grouping and most of them stayed to the side of the road. This one little herd decided to create photo ops for the passing motorists. The biggest of the group decided to assert his dominance and stopped in front of the big yellow flower on the bike. Fortunately I had Cowboy Walt over the intercom telling me to drive at the animal’s back side (was as fun s it sounds) and he’ll get out of the way. Worked like a charm. He didn’t challenge me yet but he was trying to acquire me as a target. He was one big mother. I was looking up at his head.

They came more fabulous vistas

And finally breakfast was wearing off. Seven hours later.
We stopped at the Coal River Lodge.

We went inside for a break and were greeted with the best smell of the trip. Fresh baked banana bread muffins with chocolate chip toppings (my mouth is watering as I write this) We convinced Donna, the proprietor, to pull us out a couple from the still warm pans. She served them up with a little butter that melted right in and we were golden.

GRN Recommended. Coal River Lodge.
We were on final approach to Watson Lake and I must admit that we were becoming a little passé about the constant parade of one stunning vista after another.

Ho-hum.

We did, however also note the imposing mass of darker clouds on the horizon, cleverly masquerading as almost blue sky.

We have been dry thus far but it will not last.
Dyvking enters the Yukon.

it says BC on one side of the line and Yukon on the other. THis is in the middle of the right of way on the old Alcan.
Here we are in front of the official sign.

I am wearing like six jackets because it's really cold.
A less optically threatening one in from of a sign for a really cool looking roadsie lodge.

Dyvking

Looking back at BC and screaming "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?"
Good riding this day.
Today we leave WL and will dine at Sally’s for breakfast. Michael, (pronounced mik- hail) von Deutchland, our host, told us that he knows the owners and the male owner likes to joke with people that he is Sally, but it’s really the wife.
We like the Air Force Inn. GRN approved. Pictures later.
From Sally’s we’ll make our way to Yukon Honda in Whitehorse and get out tires changed to TKC’s. We have laundry and beer tasting also on tap (as it were). So we have a full day. Tomorrow, we’ll head north some more and see if the window that Alcan rider talked about opening over the Dalton will move east and open over the Dempster. We just couldn’t push fast enough to get to the Dalton before that window snaps shut.
Raingear at the ready, we have what should be our shortest riding day to date, but Dyvking has never been to the Yukon Brewing company and sorely needs to go. Should I tell him about the one in Skagway?

idea man screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 10:23 AM
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #160
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

The Air Force Lodge in Watson Lake

We stayed at this cozy little hostel- style lodge last night. Small rooms, showers and washrooms down the hall. Clean (Michael requires you to remove your shoes upon entry) and warm. The owners are congenial and accomodating.

It is so named because the structure was originally put up at a nearby airfield by the US Army Air Corps, and subsequently cut into pieces with a chainsaw, sold, and moved to its current location.

No food within walking distance, but then there isn't ANYTHING within walking distance of anything else here!
$75/night DO.

Stand by... IdeaMan is poised to post an epic litturgy
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #161
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
Stand by... IdeaMan is poised to post an epic litturgy
+1 on the Air Force Lodge
And the epic litturgy is the big one above. I'm all posted out. Let's ride.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #162
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Are you guys riding to Prudhoe?
I am curious about the weather at this time of year.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #163
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! It's great to see that fantastic scenery again. When I went through that construction zone a while back, it was with much less gusto and bravado, oh and the cute flaggy girl was smiling at me when I jumped to the front!

Keep it up.....

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #164
helikron
The Fixer

Oddometer: 3,803
This entire RR is being staged from the Hooters in Portland, OR.

Dine safely, gents! Don't go 'roughing it' and make buffalo wings from those bison... not the same.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #165
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,246

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote