User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 844
Alaska eh'

my FAVORITE subject. And starting in 4 days.
Popcorn......beer.......check.
Let the adventure begin. I am firmly on board. You all ride safe.......

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"

superdutyGS screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 12:59 PM
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,053
I'll run sweep and fix what you guys f-up

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
Are you going all the way to Prudhoe Bay?
maybe. Depends what "Mother" Nature and "Father" Time have to say about it.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #19
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto
I'll run sweep and fix what you guys f-up

We know where your bike is.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanorama
Walt- be good to Red Sonja- I would like to think she'll be good for a go in Death Valley when you get back.
Yeah, I always KNEW you only liked me for the motorcycle.

--but thanks anyway
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,053
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
We know where your bike is.

Not after today you don't

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,828
Subsribed!!

Y'all have fun...it's an amazing journey!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto
Not after today you don't
Burns, OR, Then Johnny Drunkard's? But that's just a guess.

Glad you're riding sweep seein' as how you have parts that will work on my bike.
You have a safe ride too. We might just pass you on our way back south.
Hey, don't forget Sunday lunch. GRN meeting in Portland. You know the place. Owl motif, next to the freeway.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

The Route:
We are leaving at first light on Sat AM and will be traveling North. The plan is to blast through as much slab on those part we’ve already been to and get to places we haven’t been to before (or at least places Dyvking hasn’t been to before)

What we know:
Hwy 101 north through the bay area…..and then we’ll cut north by northeast and see what happens.
There is a tentative plan to stop at the PDX Hooters (only because they are on our side of the freeway and we hope Portland is chronologically appropriate for a lunch stop) on day two.
Check Spotty for progress.

Possible Waypoints:
Bellingham, Pr. George, Dawson Creek, Muncho Lake, Johnson’s Crossing, Whitehorse, Eagle Plains, Dawson City, Tok, FBX, Atigun, Paxson, Cantwell, Wasilla, ANC, Homer, Glenallen, Destruction Bay, Skagway, Atlin, Jade City, Hyder, Smithers, Eureka, San Francisco, etc.

I've been told that those fine people at Google make these things like maps that you can actually post on the interweb. Unfortunately, I'm too retarded to figure it out. Maybe later, since I'm also to stupid to stop trying.

I figure we’ll be able to make about half of these waypoints, maybe more. We have a “No Hero’s” policy on the trip and when Mother Nature says, “Don’t go there,” in her very deep, matronly voice we are going to listen to our Mother.

Equipment info to follow. (So far not a single question about the satellite dish. Hmmm. Maybe people think I am really bringing a satellite dish? Come to think of it, I think Touratech sells one... )
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 08:36 PM
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
North-wee
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Stopping in Smithers?

Hey Guys. Your trip sounds great. A little envious of the northern portion. Given that I live in Smithers -- I really mean "NORTHERN."

I can't guarantee that I'll be around when you come through, but if I am you should stop and take a shower, have a beer and tell some stories. I'll keep an eye on your updates and will connect with you when you can better predict when you'll be through Smithers.

Good luck.
Ride Safe.

PS: I just came from your neck of the woods. Didn't post a report, but went south down Wa, Or, Ca coasts, over to Yosemite, Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone and back up north. Fabulous riding.
North-wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #26
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Good, you'll finally be on your way. Be sure to keep your cameras handy, lots of pretty sights. The fall colors, the clear streams, the blue sky, the snow weighing down the tree branches... So winter's a little early this year, at least the mosquitoes are done. Sub-freezing weather does that to them, y'know. By the time you get there, the snowplows should have Atigun Pass open again... for a few hours at a time. Before the next blizzard hits.

But don't worry about the weather - it'll warm up again. Around May, next year. Just dress warm and head on up. But it might not hurt to throw in a set of tire chains for each bike, some longhandles, a couple of parkas, and some down mittens. We'll keep the hot chocolate warm for you.

Okay, so it's not that bad... yet. Just preparing you in case it does turn a little cooler. Been down below freezing a couple of nights recently, and the snow was down to about the 6000' level two days ago. Hopefully it will warm back up by the time you get here. Bring some of that hot weather with you.

Ride safe, and have a wonderful trip.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #27
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Hey idea-man,

I'll be following along if you don't mind. Having just done this trip myself, I'm anxious to see if you can find all my picture locations!

Safe Journey,

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #28
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 703
Have a Blast guys, looking forward to following your trip ! Safe Journey !
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #29
ericb67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Use those cameras frequently! Dana, I want to see LOTS of photos. I'll have a nice new distraction while at "work" haha.

Have a great ride!
2006 R1150GS Adventure Registry

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." - Winston Churchill

"We are all destined to die, some choose to live while alive" - Davo Jones - RIP
ericb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Good, you'll finally be on your way. Be sure to keep your cameras handy, lots of pretty sights. The fall colors, the clear streams, the blue sky, the snow weighing down the tree branches... So winter's a little early this year, at least the mosquitoes are done. Sub-freezing weather does that to them, y'know. By the time you get there, the snowplows should have Atigun Pass open again... for a few hours at a time. Before the next blizzard hits.

But don't worry about the weather - it'll warm up again. Around May, next year. Just dress warm and head on up. But it might not hurt to throw in a set of tire chains for each bike, some longhandles, a couple of parkas, and some down mittens. We'll keep the hot chocolate warm for you.
That's great Jack. I'm sure idea wife will be happy to read this.
And I'd keep the hot chocolate thing on the DL or the Idea Boys will want to tag along again.

Yeah, we'll dress warmly. One of us even plugs his gear into the bike. (The other one keeps his insulation on all the time.) We'll let you know when we get closer and mebbe you can lead us up to the snowplows.