Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #31
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads
Hey idea-man,

I'll be following along if you don't mind. Having just done this trip myself, I'm anxious to see if you can find all my picture locations!

Safe Journey,

~TR~
You've set the bar kinda high, ya' know?
If it gets nasty out there, I may just "borrow" a couple of yours and have Dyvking 'shop us in. Kind of a "You lie and I'll swear to it" approach. Close enough, but much safer IMHO. Anybody see the movie Capricorn I?
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 09:26 AM
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

T minus 3 days...and counting

More anxious than excited.
Tonight, I broke out the laminator and did some uh,....laminating. Talk about adventure!
Okay, more about the gear. I'll let dyvking provide his list, but for me a closer look at what will be making the trip. (for entertainment puposes only, please, no wagering)
More;
Packing lists can be laborious (to read and to write), but we do have everything we need to camp….except cooking gear. We plan to break camp, ride a while, and when dyvking sees me gnawing at one of my gloves or the tank bag, we'll stop at the next roadhouse.
Pics of the bike in what will pretty much be full battle dress.

From behind. Note the fashionable GRN sticker. They are the next big thing.

Tires still have the chicken strips on the main part of the tire.

Okay, about the Satellite Dish: I have a problem with setting up and taking down a tent. Any tent anywhere and I'm a human rain delay. I get it done, but only after I've re-packed two of my bags and wiped off my tools. Drastic measures were called for if the GRN was going to make it north of the Canadian border before the halfway point of the trip.
The tent is an instant-pop-up/wrestle-to-take-down type of tent.

Weighs about 5 pounds, is double walled and suited for two small people. Perfect for me.

They sell them a lot in Europe and in fact used a bunch of them at the Dakar (South America) Rally this past year. It looks a little over the top but, if it works as advertised, bite me.

Set-up was about 10 seconds. They don't really expand in the air like the show on the web site, but then again it might if I took it down properly.
Take down was approximately 50 seconds. About 1/60th the time it would take for me to break down a traditional backpacking tent. It actually flattens down reasonably well.

Not wider than the excursion bag and not taller than my shoulders.

We'll see how it works. If it flies off the bike, we'll know it was a bad idea. No one said they were all good ones.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]

idea man screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 09:22 PM
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #33
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Tonight, I broke out the laminator and did some uh,....laminating. Talk about adventure! [... ] From behind. Note the fashionable GRN sticker. They are the next big thing.

Tires still have the chicken strips on the main part of the tire.

Okay, about the Satellite Dish: I have a problem with setting up and taking down a tent. Any tent anywhere and I'm a human rain delay. I get it done, but only after I've re-packed two of my bags and wiped off my tools. Drastic measures were called for if the GRN was going to make it north of the Canadian border before the halfway point of the trip.

Weighs about 5 pounds, is double walled and suited for two small people. Perfect for me.

They sell them a lot in Europe and in fact used a bunch of them at the Dakar (South America) Rally this past year. It looks a little over the top but, if it works as advertised, bite me.

Set-up was about 10 seconds. They don't really expand in the air like the show on the web site, but then again it might if I took it down properly.
Take down was approximately 50 seconds. About 1/60th the time it would take for me to break down a traditional backpacking tent. It actually flattens down reasonably well.

We'll see how it works. If it flies off the bike, we'll know it was a bad idea. No one said they were all good ones.

YES...YES... I saw many of those tents in South America. Quechua of course is an indigenous language spoken by those of an indigenous nature in Peru and Bolivia... think Incas....

THE MONO POD.. YOU DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THE MONOPOD!!!

I want my GRN sticker!!!

Go. Go.

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #34
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider
YES...YES... I saw many of those tents in South America. Quechua of course is an indigenous language spoken by those of an indigenous nature in Peru and Bolivia... think Incas....
Of course.

Note the satelite dish. Many people don't realize that Worldrider toted one of these little darlings around the world, twice.

Hiya Allan.

Quote:
THE MONO POD.. YOU DIDN'T TALK ABOUT THE MONOPOD!!!
Really?
Okay tomorrow. Should I talk about the rocket launcher too?

Quote:
I want my GRN sticker!!!
I'll put one in your Camelbak.

More to come.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #35
theevolone
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Travellling

I wondered why you'ld been so silent...Is the IS working or are you on the run at last?

Keep us posted.

And if you learn of an ST BMW w luggage, let me know. Could be interested.

BTW: Yours truly is now a MSF certified rider coach, or crotch, or crouch or whatever you call it. Seven days of training. Ears bleeding. Knuckles dragging.

Be careful up there. Enjoy.

Quote:
I really enjoyed your trip as well. Well done. If we can get something like that here, we'll have done something.

Routes and plans and stuff later today.
theevolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #36
idea man OP
Plate Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevolone
I wondered why you'ld been so silent...Is the IS working or are you on the run at last?

Keep us posted.

And if you learn of an ST BMW w luggage, let me know. Could be interested.

BTW: Yours truly is now a MSF certified rider coach, or crotch, or crouch or whatever you call it. Seven days of training. Ears bleeding. Knuckles dragging.

Be careful up there. Enjoy.
Wildman.

Let's ride when I get back. You can coach me.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #37
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,193
This should be entertaining. The ADV odd couple's assault on the GWN.

ID don't worry 'bout the tent, you won't be using it. As a matter of fact I think it might be fun to start a pool and see who guess's right on the number of nights that the "dish" gets used (note I said used as in slept in & not "set up").
My guess is 3, I would say 4 just to be nice but my gut says 3, so 3 it is.

Have fun you two and stay dry.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #38
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Of course.

Note the satelite dish. Many people don't realize that Worldrider toted one of these little darlings around the world, twice.
oh no. the secret is out

Quote:
Really?
Okay tomorrow. Should I talk about the rocket launcher too?
I'd hold off on that until you've become weary wondering when BC ends and the Yukon begins!

Quote:
I'll put one in your Camelbak.
YES!

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #39
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:

If it flies off, i'll pick it up. I could use a new tent

OWL

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #40
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Be prepared for the ride of a lifetime. Words cannot describe that incredible ride. Stop and smell the fireweed. Meet the locals. Eat in roadside dives. Enjoy every jaw dropping mile. Eyes wide open. Same with mind. Now just go do it...

It is not how fast you do the ride, it is how you do the ride.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #41
sahtt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I just showed up in fairbanks yesterday, left from Texas on the 1st.

I did it on a zx14 with a few soft luggage bags and about 1/3 the gear I see the other guys with although I am usually pretty envious. We camped all but a couple nights.

It looks like you are prepared but realize it's going to be cold here. 99% of the people we talked to are heading south and suggested for us to do the same. You'll meet some real riders on the way here. The alcan is not a friendly road but if you have the right bike, right gear, and decent weather it's pretty easy as long as you are focused. I basically had none of the above except decent weather and I'm still in one piece.

If you haven't travled in these parts before realize there is nothing in the yukon but whitehorse. My number is 8325852086 if you have any questions. We went up from calgary though jasper though grand prairie etc. We've heard the cassier highway is a mess right now but if you are taking that I'd like to know how it is. Ride safe and don't ride too long, we did a week of 10-12 hour riding days and I almost met my maker on the alcan because of it.
sahtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #42
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,417
This is going to be good! And I want to know how the tent performs...I've been looking at this type tents for a while...

Ride safe!

Quote:

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #43
mnowlen
Got Bacon?

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless

ID don't worry 'bout the tent, you won't be using it. As a matter of fact I think it might be fun to start a pool and see who guess's right on the number of nights that the "dish" gets used (note I said used as in slept in & not "set up").
My guess is 3, I would say 4 just to be nice but my gut says 3, so 3 it is.
Mike is right about the tent. I'm going with 5.
mnowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #44
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,758
Be safe, boys!!

BTW, I'm with Treadless: I think that the 'roid cushion will be used a lot less than the mosquito-proof motel rooms.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #45
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Be safe, boys!!

BTW, I'm with Treadless: I think that the 'roid cushion will be used a lot less than the mosquito-proof motel rooms.
We'd both be up for more motels if we had jobs that actually paid us what we're worth. uh.. what we THINK we're worth.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote