Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 AM   #166
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Oddometer: 132
I've had Ken Bain from british spares, in Silverstream, do wheels before. Try calling them, if they still exist. 04 939 8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis
Yeah, I posted something similar at KB - wanting to get wheels re-finished.

Sounds like Phreaky Phil got his done by Woody's in the US. Though his was a fairly custom build. It'd be nice if someone local could do it.

Surely someone in NZ has the expertise - think I'll ask Mike Dobson at Motorad.
boxer odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #167
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
For wheel rebuilds try Hamco Industries in Palmy. An add on the VMX site here.

Apparently some guy down here in Chch who can lace up wheels too but don't have details at the moment.

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #168
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
it's been a year since you've started. You must done something to it by now???

Rereading this thread while doin up my bike is really inspirational & i can understand more fullerer some of the modifications you've done.

As a matter of interest where did you get your rear guard from?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #169
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Been a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
it's been a year since you've started. You must done something to it by now???

Rereading this thread while doin up my bike is really inspirational & i can understand more fullerer some of the modifications you've done.

As a matter of interest where did you get your rear guard from?

Been doing other projects and not looked in here for a while.

British Spares have been the source of many of my bits and pieces, including my rear guard.

I'm keeping an eye out for a R100R front end (forks and 18" front wheel to be specific).
Which I'd like to throw on the gs. I use the bike on the road a lot more than off so I'd like to have an easy swap front end that I can switch over depending on the ride.

The bike is going really well, still on the bings, and now has a few thousand k's under it's belt since the mods.

I've been really with the and living with it as a commuter and general transport machine. It still like its appearance, although have plans afoot to build a new full exhaust system and finish the Mikuni setup - just need some time!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #170
Padmei
enamoured

So you wanted tohijack someone elses thread with your pipes but not show the evidence here? Shame on you
Get some pics out BO. I've got an R1 pipe I want to try on schmidt when I get it together & running.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #171
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So you wanted tohijack someone elses thread with your pipes but not show the evidence here? Shame on you
Get some pics out BO. I've got an R1 pipe I want to try on schmidt when I get it together & running.
The words 'kettle', 'black', & 'pot' come to mind Padmei.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #172
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
The words 'kettle', 'black', & 'pot' come to mind Padmei.
Snooker???

Unfortunately I've got nothing new to add about Schmidt. The mechanic rung me the other night & said the gearbox looks prefectly ok. I told him to check out 5th gear & replace the seal. There's been a quake - we can't rush things
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 AM   #173
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Ha! Sad but true

Quote:
All I have is a vague idea of where I'm starting and a small box of mandrel bends. I went and got busy moving house and am only just getting to a point, with my new workshop, that I can start doing stuff again.

So you might see some stuff soon.

I've also been developing a gearbox breather that eliminates the bolt with the hole through it and runs higher up the bike. Not so important for my bike, but there seemed to be a few folk out there who were looking at them a while back so I cnc-ed a couple up. Might do a short run if I can generate enough interest to cover costs.

BO
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #174
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey View Post
I've also been developing a gearbox breather that eliminates the bolt with the hole through it and runs higher up the bike. Not so important for my bike, but there seemed to be a few folk out there who were looking at them a while back so I cnc-ed a couple up. Might do a short run if I can generate enough interest to cover costs.
BO
Oo, oo, pick me!!!

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #175
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
Oo, oo, pick me!!!
cool. I'd better get onto sorting things further and posting some pickies.

PM me and I let you know when i've got something more.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #176
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Me too!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:50 AM   #177
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Nice. These are fitted in place of the speedo cable, for use with electronic dashes.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #178
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey View Post
Nice. These are fitted in place of the speedo cable, for use with electronic dashes.
Is it a cool bling thing or be more practical than the cut off speedo cable under the seat that Nutso designed & I'm using? I'd be interested if it meant the breather outlet would be as high at least as the airbox.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #179
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Is it a cool bling thing or be more practical than the cut off speedo cable under the seat that Nutso designed & I'm using? I'd be interested if it meant the breather outlet would be as high at least as the airbox.
This is a prototype I had cnc machined. I've been running it for a while now. The final one will look better - this ones been buggered with as te design developed.
The tube is oil/fuel safe so it wont break down too fast. The alloy tip is a breather cap I designed to limit the ability for dust etc to enter and the main housing has been through a couple of itterations to get it to its functional state.
It is used with the speedo drive in the bike as I found without it there was a tendency to blow a little oil up the pipe (I tested it using a clear pipe).

As it stands I'm waiting for a quote on the final design. based on a run of 20 to make it affordable. I hope to be able to sell a kit much like you see here but with a longer tube so people can cut it to suit.
I've seen the ones made in europe (which are only the bottom bit) and recon I can supply the whole kit including a stainless steel bolt, to replace the hollow one, for the same sort of money as landing one of theirs or maybe even less. Not trying to get rich just thought it might be an interesting project.
Aiming at around $80 for the set up compared to about 60 euro including freight. we'll see how we go.
Gonna put one on a mates bike soon to double check my findings and get final quote this week if i'm lucky.

Keep ya posted
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #180
Padmei
enamoured

Looks impressive BO. Tell me. Are any others that run a vent line from their final drive up high for river crossings?