Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #16
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Oddometer: 137
Nice job Motu. Bike looks great with that tail piece - be even better if you loose those gauges!

My pipes are pretty loud too - had to shut them up a bit but they're about right now. Good and obnoxious!

Been working on the speedo bracket. Its almost there, needs a final tidy up and paint. The Vaypor gauge looks way less outer place now its black.

Anyone got a spare GS wiring loom they wanna part with? or know where to get a used one? Tryed Motobins, Devon BMW and ebay and tardme but no replys or luck yet.
Attached Images

boxer odyssey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Another question for anyone looking - I'm not sure if I'll stay with the TrailTech dash, as i'd prefer a small analogue speedo but can't find the ratio of my speedo drive/speedo anywhere - can anyone help?

boxer odyssey screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 04:39 AM
Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Postie
kiwi

Oddometer: 43
Wiring loom

Have you tried Munich Motorcycles in Perth WA for the loom, I have sourced parts for my 93 GSPD from there.

Ian
Postie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey
Another question for anyone looking - I'm not sure if I'll stay with the TrailTech dash, as i'd prefer a small analogue speedo but can't find the ratio of my speedo drive/speedo anywhere - can anyone help?

Will do, Cheers for that.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #20
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Airbox replacement - rear engine cowl

The rear engine cowl is almost complete now and I thought I'd explain a bit of my process.

I first made an mold of the shape I wanted - less the wall thickness - using templates and continually trying it against the engine for fit. It is important at this point to take into account the shrinkage factor of the cast aluminium (about 1 in 70 I was told - but was a lot more!).

Then from this simple mold I made a casting pattern by vacuum forming abs plastic, trimming it to shape and adding the detail lines on each side with body filler and then finishing it in primer.

The sand cast part was very rough when I got it from the foundery. I first trimmed it to size, then sanded the outside and finally milled the slots, for the engine breather,to match the spacing of those on the starter cover.

I sand blasted it and the starter cover to get the look similar and now have to try and age them to match the rest of the motor.

Next stage is to make the bracket that holds it on and the breather filter and ignition coil in place.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #21
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Fork Brace

The beginings of a casting pattern.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,422
Very impressed BO.
Did you vacuum form the part yourself? Or get someone to do it. I take it you then took the part to the foundry where they created a sand mold off the part for forging & did the rest.

How did they make the sand mold then get the part out?

Is there a market out there to reproduce these parts to partially offest the initial costs & time?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #23
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Very impressed BO.
Did you vacuum form the part yourself? Or get someone to do it. I take it you then took the part to the foundry where they created a sand mold off the part for forging & did the rest.

How did they make the sand mold then get the part out?

Is there a market out there to reproduce these parts to partially offest the initial costs & time?
Hi Padmei,
Yeh I vacuum formed the pattern myself using the machine at a friends work, then I did all the finishing at home.
After that the foundery did the casting - I'm not sure how they made the sand mold exactly other than the fact that the pull was verticle.
The cast part was as you see it in the top photo, very rough, when I got it so I milled and sanded and linished it before blasting it.

Initially I was quite keen to make and sell these but I'm not happy enough with the finished size of this one as I slightly miss-calculated the shrinkage. It's ok for me but not to sell. There's also a lot of time in post finishing them. Maybe in the future.

cheers.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
Kiwi Pete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Very nice work there Ken, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Pete
Kiwi Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #25
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Rear engine cowl mount

Another saturday arvo and another part fabricated for the bike. Today I made the steel mounting bracket for the rear cowl - it also holds the engine breather and the coil. After final finishing it will be powder coated and I will run an earth strap from the middle mount bolt to the coil.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 AM   #26
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

I'm yet to decide if the HT leads will exit through the top or side of the starter cover, probably the side I think.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #27
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
awesome stuff
really enjoying seeing your progress
Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #28
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Progress update

Not much to show for this week end. But progress has been made in the form of decisions and more parts ordered.
I've ordered a Brembo front master cylinder and matching (hopefully) dog led clutch lever and perch from Bevel Heaven (http://www.bevelheaven.com/stuff-for-sale.htm) who are awesome to deal with.
I also scored a black alloy switch block for the lights, indicaters and horn from fleabay. So waiting for all that before too much more can be done on the bars. And a nice alloy throttle assy by Tomasselli with start and kill switches.
Today I picked up a used '83-'84 R80RT wiring loom (Cheers Sean!) which will become the basis of the new and simplified elctrical system. Decifering it now and working out what to keep and what to chuck from it. I'll need to chop it up to fit the new requirements so figured it'd be best to put the origional one in the box, with all the other stuff i've removed, and start a fresh. There's way too much on the later looms for my liking - especially around the indicator circuits.
I'll throw some photos at ya soon.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #29
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,422