User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 AM   #31
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Oddometer: 132
Rear engine cowl finished

Here's a couple of shots of the finished airbox replacement and new location of the ignition coil. New HT leads are also fitted (and new plug caps).

I've been working further on the wiring (and learning lots) and will post more about this soon. Including the new AGM battery I bought today, which I plan to fit up under the seat.
Attached Images

boxer odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Electrial madness

OK, I've not posted anything for a while because I've been educating myself in the wonderful world of that black magic - wiring.
I bought a much more basic loom off an earlier model BMW road bike as a source of wire and a starting point to base my new loom on.

So I began by learning enough from my local auto sparky (L Alexander) here in Wellington and with some extra help from my mate Guz (who's just become middle aged!).

Then I started the new diagram. I wanted to use a couple more relays and to add some protection in the form of more fuses. So the new diagram based on the 83-85 r80 but with these extra bits. I have left the charging and ignition circuits as they were.

This image is the progress to date on the diagram. I'm updating it as I go on with building the actual loom.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #33
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Loomy Madness

Spaghetti anyone?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #34
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,152
Had a good look at an old GS the other day to see what you were doing to yours.
Having the twin delorto (?)carbs & losing the airbox is a fantastic idea. Compared to the original setup it looks very clean & what I would have thought would have been a great factory option if available! Any differences tuning the carbs without an airbox - rejetting for more air flowing thru?
I would look at simplifying the wiring if you can. A lot of stuff there looks pretty superfluous.

Thanks for the updates.
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #35
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Had a good look at an old GS the other day to see what you were doing to yours.
Having the twin delorto (?)carbs & losing the airbox is a fantastic idea. Compared to the original setup it looks very clean & what I would have thought would have been a great factory option if available! Any differences tuning the carbs without an airbox - rejetting for more air flowing thru?
I would look at simplifying the wiring if you can. A lot of stuff there looks pretty superfluous.

Thanks for the updates.
The Bings apparently run best with the airbox I think. Although someone said recently that removing the trumpets from inside the airbox (not the outside ones) is good for a few hoses. Havent tried it myself.
I'm using Mikunis. Should give me better throttle response but probably not a lot more outright power - oh and they win on the wankfactorometer too!

Theres nothing I don't need left in the loom now. In fact the loom I bought is only useful as a source of wire realy.

good to see someones looking - cheers dude.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #36
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey
good to see someones looking - cheers dude.
he's not the only one

those of us with limited mechanical skills watch in awe

please keep it coming

BTW have you seen this

Mark_S screwed with this post 09-16-2009 at 03:27 AM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey
Although someone said recently that removing the trumpets from inside the airbox (not the outside ones) is good for a few hoses.
I had a R80G/S some years ago with the trumpets removed. It made it very peaky. It had a huge surge in the mid range and right at the top end but was a bit flat in between. While it felt faster and more interesting to ride, when it was put side by side with a friends R80 G/SA it didn't go any quicker.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb
I had a R80G/S some years ago with the trumpets removed. It made it very peaky. It had a huge surge in the mid range and right at the top end but was a bit flat in between. While it felt faster and more interesting to ride, when it was put side by side with a friends R80 G/SA it didn't go any quicker.
Interesting. I think that's the case with a lot of carb mods. Often the only thing changed is the way the power is delivered rather than the amount.

Cheers for the info
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #39
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ
Why don't you change that sig. line, ya weirdo?
And where's my feckin' map book?

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #40
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
Why don't you change that sig. line, ya weirdo?
And where's my feckin' map book?
i like the sig line or r ya tryin to change ya image.

i sent ya about 6 emails re ya map book and even put some posts up on threads ya had subscribed on and no reply.

Geez i even went to ya work in Hillsborough tce and they said ya be gone from there. i don't see ya in the phone and I dont use the work computer for unauthorised actions.

I was gunna list it on "turd me" but never got around to it. Its been sitting in the back of me 4x4 since Rod gave it to me way back at easter and I finally took it out a couple of weeks ago. Bloody thing has down about 5000kms in me 4x4.

giz us an address and I will drop it off, in town or ya home.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #41
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Just to hijack your thread a bit, I've just put my R80G/S in the NZ Flea Market.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #42
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ
i like the sig line or r ya tryin to change ya image.

i sent ya about 6 emails re ya map book and even put some posts up on threads ya had subscribed on and no reply.

Geez i even went to ya work in Hillsborough tce and they said ya be gone from there. i don't see ya in the phone and I dont use the work computer for unauthorised actions.

I was gunna list it on "turd me" but never got around to it. Its been sitting in the back of me 4x4 since Rod gave it to me way back at easter and I finally took it out a couple of weeks ago. Bloody thing has down about 5000kms in me 4x4.

giz us an address and I will drop it off, in town or ya home.
Well, at least get it right.
It's a two piece suit...

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #43
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Does my arse look big in this guard?

The wiring loom is now finish up to the back of the tank and awaiting the rear section of the bike to be built for the next stage. Probably should have built the rear before starting the wiring but this way is working well so far.

I've spent a couple of hours mocking up the rear end in card.
I'm looking at using a new-old-stock Hella tail light and a pair of "Dinky winkers" indicators (stupid name! but nice and simple) mounted on an alloy rear guard.

The the battery, and new fuse box and relays, will be housed in a plastic box monted under the seat. I was going to put the battery under the gearbox but, as I plan to ride this through creeks etc, decided to put it up out of harms way.

The seat will be a dual seat in the shape of a flat-tracker-ish style (unless I change my mind again!). I have a nice piece of used leather for the job and will fabricate the base from ally I think.

So I guess I'll draw up the rear subframe around this concept and weld up a prototype from odds and sods then bend the final one up properly once the dimensions are sorted.

Fun and Games!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #44
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
How did I miss this??

Looks great! You in Wellington you say? Looking forward to seeing this one day.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #45
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

New bits from lands foreign.

Had some exciting deliveries in the last week or so which have redirected my attention to the front of the bike.

Fitted now are my new Brembo brake master and Tommaselli clutch assy. and left switch block.

I've also made and fitted the new throttle cables and wired both the left and right switches and added the headlight on/off switch, in the headlight shell. I'm able to use a small switch because it is only triggering a relay.
Attached Images