Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #76
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Oddometer: 137
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff
Run the wires inside stainless tubing, with nice aluminium brackets holding the tubing to the fork.

The thought just came to me, I have no idea if it would work in your application.
Yeh, nice.

I'll have a look at that.
Cheers.
boxer odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #77
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Back end's taking shape.

Under seat tray.
The outer shell of the under-seat tray is now made an trimmed to size. I vacuum formed the tray. The rubber seal around the top edge will form a dust seal against the seat base - like some of the earlier model bikes used. This seal was designed for use on car boots/trunks and is available by the meter.

Initially I was planning on using this compartment for the battery as well as the fuse box, relays, accessory jack(I use it for charging the battery) and ignition switch. The only problem is that I then loose my storage space for the tool roll. So I'm now going to mount the battery under the gear box in a cut down 30 cal. ammo box - but I'll get to that later.

I plan to make a partition down one side with the fuse box poking through it and the wiring safely tucked away under/behind it.

It'll be bolted through rubber grommets to the subframe.

Seat Base.
In order to mount the tray I need to make the seat base, which is taking bit of designing!. But the concept is there and I think most of the details are sorted - well they work in my head anyway. I'm yet to add a dimple at the back for the rear mudguard and location and mounting hardware.

I've used ABS plastic, the same as the tool tray, because it's easily formed with heat, easy to glue, resistant to UV and most chemicals the bike will come into contact with and has good impact resistace. It's what lots of automotive parts are made of - bumpers, grilles etc.

There are a few elements to take into account with this phase of the build so it's taking a lot of planning and making bits here and there so they all fit together.

Rear Guard.
I have cut the guard roughly to leangth and will finalise this and make the mounts for it before going much further with seat etc. Because it's alloy I plan to epoxy reinforcements around the mount holes and use rubber gommets.

More pic.s as I progress.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #78
Kiwi Pete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Lovely work Ken, can't wait to see the finished product.

Pete
Kiwi Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #79
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Nice work... for a bloody Kiwi!! :-)

All jokes aside, what size Mikuni's did you use?? TM's??? What jetting? I'm starting a project with a R100 motor and am considering dumping the Bings.. Dellorto's are stoopid expensive but I mildly understand the old Mikuni's. That speedo is something! Nice. Looking forward to some more updates..

Regards
FBC
Old 10-16-2009, 04:08 AM   #80
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Laugh Wow an aussie that can read! Pitty I can't spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Nice work... for a bloody Kiwi!! :-)

All jokes aside, what size Mikuni's did you use?? TM's??? What jetting? I'm starting a project with a R100 motor and am considering dumping the Bings.. Dellorto's are stoopid expensive but I mildly understand the old Mikuni's. That speedo is something! Nice. Looking forward to some more updates..

Regards
FBC
I bought the carbs off ebay in the states. They are TM36's and had been running on a hotted up R100 (high comp, big cam etc.) road bike. I'm not sure what jets are in them as I've not even stripped them yet . I'll work through that when I get the bike ready to run. It's likely to be a bit rich for my standard motor so should at least fire up and run, all be it roughly.
The mikuni's are a much more modern design than the good old dellortos and are supposed to be a bit better developed for it, but not as cool I recon. I've seen black dellortos on special somewhere recently, I think it was Bevel Heaven in the states.
A lot of people are running 38's on race machines but I think that's probably a bit big for a standard road/trail bike and didn't want to loose the bottom end torque that the bigger size chokes tend to do. Hopefully they'll feed the old girl alright. All i'm looking for is better throttle responce, which I think I'll get with these.

I found this chart on the net (and theres plenty more around) that gives a starting point for Mikunis on loads of bikes.
http://www.braigasen.com/Mikuni_jett...our_stroke.htm

This weeks been a bit slack on the bike front with the only advance being the front mounts that I made for the rear guard. I'll take some photos soon and post'em.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #81
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Thanks mate!! Keep us informed... That jetting link is GOLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey
I bought the carbs off ebay in the states. They are TM36's and had been running on a hotted up R100 (high comp, big cam etc.) road bike. I'm not sure what jets are in them as I've not even stripped them yet . I'll work through that when I get the bike ready to run. It's likely to be a bit rich for my standard motor so should at least fire up and run, all be it roughly.
The mikuni's are a much more modern design than the good old dellortos and are supposed to be a bit better developed for it, but not as cool I recon. I've seen black dellortos on special somewhere recently, I think it was Bevel Heaven in the states.
A lot of people are running 38's on race machines but I think that's probably a bit big for a standard road/trail bike and didn't want to loose the bottom end torque that the bigger size chokes tend to do. Hopefully they'll feed the old girl alright. All i'm looking for is better throttle responce, which I think I'll get with these.

I found this chart on the net (and theres plenty more around) that gives a starting point for Mikunis on loads of bikes.
http://www.braigasen.com/Mikuni_jett...our_stroke.htm

This weeks been a bit slack on the bike front with the only advance being the front mounts that I made for the rear guard. I'll take some photos soon and post'em.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #82
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Under seat tool box

Progress has been slow in the last couple of weeks. But the tool / elctrical box and rear guard are now mounted.

The rear guard is mounted via rubber grommets to a bracket on the subframe at the back. And I made arms that mount to, what was, the lower battery box mounts for the font. Hopefully the rubber mounts will help restrict the fatigue, through vibration, of the alloy guard.

I've mounted the tool box/tray in the same way as the guard but with smaller grommets. The front has a single mount in the centre but rests on a rubber pad accross its width. The front mount is bolted to the main frame through the top battery box mount brackets.
The rear mounts (2 of) are welded to the cross bar in the subframe.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #83
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Under Seat Tool Box 2

Here's the top view of the tray showing the fuse box - now 8 fuses up from 3 origionally.
The internal cover over the Ign. switch, acc jack and fuse box unscrews for access to wiring.
Wiring loom enters the box through a grommet at the front, under the internal cover and the tail light harness will exit the same way at the rear.

The join in the top seal is yet to be glued.

I'm currently exploring seat construction options. I was planning to reinforce the ABS seat base I've already made but now think that a trated plywood base might be the go.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #84
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,570
Beautiful work. I just wonder if the tool roll might interfere with the fuses once things get knocked around. Do you think that could happen?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #85
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Beautiful work. I just wonder if the tool roll might interfere with the fuses once things get knocked around. Do you think that could happen?
It should be ok, I think, because the tools are well contained in the roll and held pretty securely between the wiring cover and the opposite wall of the box - it's reasonably tight in there so there shouldn't be much movement a all. Also the cover for the fuses looks quite robust so should be able to fend off any wayward items that might attack it.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #86
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Been Slacking!

I've been a bit lax on the posts of recent, but progress is slowly being made.

Here's the state of play;

The rear guard is done, bar the mounting holes for the tail light and number plate.

The under seat tray is sorted and waiting for the wiring.

I have spent considerable time lately running through options for the seat, the battery mount and the exhaust system.

I'm planning to mount the seat, at the front, with a spiggot into the end of the top frame tube and, at the back/middle, with a Ducati Multistrada seat latch (which should have arrived today but didn't!). So there'll be a spiggot to machine up and mount to the base, which is now plywood, and a bracket to hold the latch welded to the subframe. Details follow.
Then final design of shape and upholstery.

The battery mount design is largely worked out, in my head anyway!, and I've begun an initial mock-up.

The exhaust - I've been toying with the idea of a 2 into 1 header that runs down the right hand side of the motor and then crosses behind the battery, under the gearbox, to a single/twin muffler/s. But this may be a stage 2 mod. I think funds and the eagerness to ride may dictate that I just get it going with the current pipes.

Then finish the wiring.

Send the new bits off to the powder coaters.

Tune the new carbs - it will be interesting to see how she goes!

So not much then!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #87
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,459
Looking really really cool BO.
Got a front guard or leaving it off?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 AM   #88
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Looking really really cool BO.
Got a front guard or leaving it off?
I've made a rough front guard which I'm not too sure on. Might just use it for the W.O.F. man!

It's steel and should realy be ally if it's to be a perminant fixture.
Thought also that i might integrate it in with the fork brace that I'm yet to make.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #89
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,348
Looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey

The exhaust - I've been toying with the idea of a 2 into 1 header that runs down the right hand side of the motor and then crosses behind the battery, under the gearbox, to a single/twin muffler/s. But this may be a stage 2 mod.
I reckon some twin high pipes ala Triumph Scrambler would look way cool on there. Lotsa Scrambler owners throw away the stockers for lighter/louder ones, so you might be able to get a stock pair for very little $.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #90
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Cool project.

Giving me some ideas, probably bad ones though.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote