Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #91
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
Looking good!

I reckon some twin high pipes ala Triumph Scrambler would look way cool on there. Lotsa Scrambler owners throw away the stockers for lighter/louder ones, so you might be able to get a stock pair for very little $.

Cheers
Clint

Yeah agreed - or just a couple of short shotty type sticking back low on each side - would look grouse with the carb setup.
You gotta bring it down here for a cruise
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #92
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Oddometer: 137
pipe dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Yeah agreed - or just a couple of short shotty type sticking back low on each side - would look grouse with the carb setup.
You gotta bring it down here for a cruise
Just been looking at the bike and was thinking the low pipe route might be the go. Using a pair of shorty reverse cones.
But because there's already a lot going on on the right side of the bike it could be cool to run a single can on the left - like this guy's done.
Probably gonna run the cans I've got for now though cause I need to get back on it! It's my only bike at the mo and I've got serious withdrawals.
Attached Images

boxer odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #93
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

more pipe dreams

This bike is very cool. I like the idea of a dirt version of this concept.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #94
Padmei
enamoured

Good thoughts. Can you make them shorter than the top bike as it looks too long. Always liked the wrapped header look.

Let us know how it's running.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #95
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 278
Cool2 Ok I can take no more...

Ive been lurking...watching...smiling stupidly. my GS is (sorta) following the same path. Here are some images that have inspired me. Thanks for posting your build up. Stu.

MMMMMMmmmmmm.....Nice
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #96
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Thumb cheers Stu

thanks for the images dude. Welcome into the light!!!!

I'm finding the thread to be a good motivation to keep the momentum up on my build.

Got any detail on your build? Images/plans etc?

The first bike you posted is my fav., nice.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #97
pusherrod
n00b

Oddometer: 8
r100r scrambler

I'm also building a BMW scrambler, but based on a r100r.

I used to have an old dirty r75/7 and really loved it, I didn't really maintain or clean it and I liked the look of this, but because of this it also wasn't the most reliable motorcycle most of the time. This summer I couldn't deside on what motorcycle I wanted to buy, but I did want to go on a motorcycle trip to eastern europe. Eventualy I bought a K75 for this purpose... just because I couldn't find my ultimate motorcycle and the K bike was cheap and reliable. I new I would go back to twin cilinders eventualy, but the K75 did prove it self during the trip.
I desided when I got back I want to build a motorcycle that combines several things of both bikes. I want a realiable bike like the K with modern brakes, modern singel swingarm, modern front springs, electronic ignition, oilcooler and panniers to make the bike more practical. I want all this but with the but with the hardcore look of my old airhead and ofcourse I also want the airhead engine and frame.

Eventually I desided a bmw r100r would be the best base for this project. I just want to get rid of all the stuf I don't need, get big dirt tires for offroad performance and the scrambler look, fix an old /5 tank and matching seat and probably english stile fenders and lights+blinkers. And I think I will use something like amunition cases to make panniers. Everyting has to be black with white stripes (thinking of powdercoat) and after I will not really clean or polish it anymore, but will just make sure it's reliable.

This is the bike so far, if you guy's are intrested I can get you posted of my progress.

uploading pictures didn't work, so follow the link for the pictures.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/779/63145933.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6350/21318461.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1066/19674045.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5982/42402066.jpg
pusherrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #98
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusherrod
I'm also building a BMW scrambler, but based on a r100r.

I used to have an old dirty r75/7 and really loved it, I didn't really maintain or clean it and I liked the look of this, but because of this it also wasn't the most reliable motorcycle most of the time. This summer I couldn't deside on what motorcycle I wanted to buy, but I did want to go on a motorcycle trip to eastern europe. Eventualy I bought a K75 for this purpose... just because I couldn't find my ultimate motorcycle and the K bike was cheap and reliable. I new I would go back to twin cilinders eventualy, but the K75 did prove it self during the trip.
I desided when I got back I want to build a motorcycle that combines several things of both bikes. I want a realiable bike like the K with modern brakes, modern singel swingarm, modern front springs, electronic ignition, oilcooler and panniers to make the bike more practical. I want all this but with the but with the hardcore look of my old airhead and ofcourse I also want the airhead engine and frame.

Eventually I desided a bmw r100r would be the best base for this project. I just want to get rid of all the stuf I don't need, get big dirt tires for offroad performance and the scrambler look, fix an old /5 tank and matching seat and probably english stile fenders and lights+blinkers. And I think I will use something like amunition cases to make panniers. Everyting has to be black with white stripes (thinking of powdercoat) and after I will not really clean or polish it anymore, but will just make sure it's reliable.

This is the bike so far, if you guy's are intrested I can get you posted of my progress.

uploading pictures didn't work, so follow the link for the pictures.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/779/63145933.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6350/21318461.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1066/19674045.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5982/42402066.jpg

Nice job!

Love that tank. Starting with the r100r is a great idea for a road based scrambler - which is where mine will clock up most of its miles!
Shorter travel and lower ground clearance give it a cool and beefy stance, nice to have the twin discs and taller final drive ratio too.
I have built mine in a way that allows me to swap back to the origional tank and back end for longer 2-up touring with panniers.

Looks like a cool project - keep us posted. Could even start your own thread if you're that way inclined. I've found it to be a good way of keeping up with my own project.

BO
Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #99
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Battery Box

Another hurdle crossed. The battery box has consumed more time than it should have! The end result is somewhat agricultural but should be reasonably strong and my excuse is that function has to rule over aesthetics for this bit.

The tray is folded up from 2mm sheet steel and will be powder coated black. The side brackets are 5mm alloy plate and will be sand blasted and left raw like the motor and gearbox. With a standard BMW rubber battery strap holding it down.

The sump guard is a standard small BMW one shortened slightly, spun around 180 degrees and folded.

I've also added the left rear footpeg and muffler hanger to the rear subframe - something I wouldn't have had to do if I'd started with a r100r like pusherrod above!

I can smell the end of this build! it's getting close. I'm planning to run her rough for a while to shake out any issues and then, perhaps tart up the untouched older bits on the bike after that.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #100
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

getting there
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #101
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer odyssey
I have built mine in a way that allows me to swap back to the origional tank and back end for longer 2-up touring with panniers.
I can swap between my streettracker seat and stock dualseat/guard and change wheels in less than an hour - more dual purpose than a dual purpose bike.At the moment I'm (trying to find the time!) fitting a couple of nice little panniers I found in Nick's cave,using some old pannier racks from the '70's...like used on a CB125 etc.Need to fit them with the stock seat on as it takes up more room.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #102
Padmei
enamoured

BO you're now internationally recognised... & to think I was there at the start...
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #103
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
BO you're now internationally recognised... & to think I was there at the start...
careful - I might take you down with me if this thing falls apart!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #104
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Laugh Quick Update

Today I packed all the parts to be painted up and sent them off to the powder coaters! Yeha

So while they're away I'm focusing on the seat, finishing the front tank mount + cleaning up the under-side and the side stand bracket.
Or at least some of that! hopefully.
More soon....
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #105
boxer odyssey OP
to excess and beyond

Thumb Painted Stuff

The powder coaters turned my bits around nice and quick and the bulk of them are now on the bike. Feels great to be bolting bits on with the intention to leave them there!

The rear subframe has turned out well - the paint helps to hide my very average welding!

I had a wee lapse of judgement with the speedo mount and broke the tiny waterproof button switch I'd imported from lands foreign. Bollox. New one on the way with a bit of luck. But the bracket looks great in black. Looks like it's meant to be there and makes the speedo look even smaller!

I've decided to run with my existing mufflers for now so gave them a lick of high temp paint and baked them in the kitchen oven - evidently they get a bit smokey! As pointed out by my better half, but I'm still allowed to sleep in the house so all's well.

Making the seat now, followed by side stand and wiring.
Attached Images