User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #196
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,550
The rest of the 3rd and Some of the 4th

I did some of my updating and decided to make a trip over to Fermont for BD purposes and I was not dissappointed only wishing my Frenchie was much better. Did some size comparisons with the cracked up pentax, the tires are damn big:

Big damn tires are all over the place, lots of these this size and bigger can cost more than $20k a piece:

Two more bikes in town, only other traveler I saw at the hotel next to McD: Edit check those forks out

I came back to LC and back to my litle little shack to get another good nights rest. I woke up the next morning around 08:15 local and was told by Mary Lou to show up at the Safety Office around 9am for a possible sneak in to the IOC mine tour with some contractors that where being breifed on the dos and don'ts. This doesn't usually happen any more and stings have to be pulled, I think the farther you ride to get here the more likely you'll get in uless you know a miner and they can arrange it with some added paperwork from what I hear, I was lucky:

Nice vtwin crusiser rider name Fred? hooked me up with a great tour and load of information from his 30+ years in the mine here.

Big thanks goes out to Johnnie at the Yamaha shop in Wabush for pointing me in the right direction and Mary Lou the receptionist at Safety Company and to Fred the guide. It was really neat to go down and see the whole operation, gave the new cybershot a hell of a workout, lots of moving and bumping (picture quality suffered somewhat) along the mine roads, over 100k of connecting roads in the mine complex, many 250 ton trucks and other larger 300+ coming online. Lots and lots of heavy equipment, and supersize road graders. Neat system of pits, dumps, and remote controlled production trains. Speacial treat for me this morning and meeting and visiting with the nicer folk of LC contractors. Are bus and driver, another Mary or Cindy Lou:

The mine montage, just a few of the better of the hundred or so almost all taken behine moving bus window.

The storage next to the concentrator and pellet plant area:

The previously mentioned:

The boobie truck, got a pink dumper on it, probalby a big boobed driver too, lots of women running the heavy equipment here:

Fred said maybe 25 or more of these big boys running around.

A supersize blade:

Heavy truck traffic:

Big P&H loading a smaller truck:

I lived this as a kid with my tonka toys, this is cool stuff to me.
Big equipment needs big cranes to help put it all together:

They blast 15" diameter holes, drilled and filled with Ammonia Nitrate fuel oil slurry and can do 400 holes blasts a wack, just nuts to think about it, let alone see it lit up.

The drillers getting it.

The big one, Humphey Pit, just amazing not the sign, its just okay:

This is big:

They got many other lesser pits, but when I think mine this is what I think above.
An oldie but a goodie:

My contractor special, I'm making sure this place would be good for ADV riding, this place would be perfect for another Erzberg:

Fresh bucket getting ready for service:

Check those green teeth, mean looking.

Stop Tour

I got done with the tour and was going to have some lunch and met up with the carwash owner by the Safety office and he recommended Charlie's Place for lunch, it was still early so I was going to go to the shack and load my gear and get ready to take off South. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road and the mule took her last gasp of fuel and died, while I coasted her gently to the side of the road to do a quick field diagnosis and figured it was fuel delivery related, good time to have a spare. I got a little run with her in neutral and coasted thankfully down the hill to a gas station unfortunatley right near the air hose. I swear they should charge for air, you could make a million, there where at least 13 people come get some air in the time I spent working on the bike.

I pulled the seat to really start checking the electrics with the fluke. And what did I find but a sheared top shock bolt wedged in at an angle in one half of the top mount, I told you I could break anything, bolts included:

I had my choic thanks to not finding that one to give to Allan from BC at the Latin Rally earlier on.
I noticed during the last big service this past Spring that the bottom bolt looked bent so I got another and saved the one I took out and it just so happens I saved it and had it with me in my bolt kit and even had a growdy matching nut full of gunk that worked perfectly, I even had a longer one in the same size, can you say boy scout. I went ahead and fixed this before moving on to the fuel thing.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't some electric switch and checked everything I could do before pulling the tank and I verified that the wires feeding the pump where hot. I empty some of the fuel load into a locals little gas tank donating to the cause and then popped the tank with just a little left. Dissconnected all the lines that needed it and pulled the pump/filter.guage assembly and disassembled the fuel pump, I even hooked the 12v to the pump directly when I had it pulled down just to satisfy myself right before I took it from its mount and zilch:

Then when I got it totally lose I hit it once more and it turned over, what the hell-maybe its on its way out. I had my new one and was going to change it anyway to be on the safe side. I think be moving it around and jiggling it a bit caused it to run, I'm thinkking.
The assembly with the new:

Came back together pretty nicely added some more fuel and check for links then button her back up:

Studdered a sec then ran like a champ and the ride was 100x better I think.

Had some many numerous people come by and ask "How's it going" and then saying "How bad of a thing that is" They just don't know who they are dealing with, I give them a nice quick reply of it could be worse, I'm still walking and talking and have a spare pump, who hoo! It went as smooth as possible and even got a little help snakeing the lines from some of the more helpful bystanders that wanted in on the help. Good to be able to do something to help a person out, the secret of life heard off the CB by some genius trucker-People Helping People, he's pretty much right on. Do what you can.
A naked mule draws alot of attention here:

I got it fixed up soon enough taking pictures as I went for some documentation and location of the tubes and such. Got back to Charlies to catch the tail end of the buffet that wasn't too bad but not a good idea, my stomach has gotten a little smaller here lately and hate to cram it full with too much food.
A fat person's hell thinking its heaven:

Thought it best to come back to Corbie's Bar and have a little drink and get some of their sweet wifi signal and upload a hundred or better mine tour pictures here.
Did I mentioned how much I like this tire, shred betty, gravel roads best friend:

Want to get going south and catch up with a crew going up the TT road but need to find a tube or tubes for the front and rear as some nice spares to haul around since I lost my cut up metzler after 5500 miles or so.

I'll finnish this upload and then load at shack and go for some hot laps down at the runway at Gagnon and hopefully a tour on Manic Cinq if possible. Have to play catch up with the TT boys.

The missing grapes of wrath, there will be more coming...

Maybe out of wifi for a bit who knows, no schedule is the only way to go and I'm loving it, just need to pick up some major sponsors to go round the world riding and writing and raising a little hell on the way.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 09-05-2009 at 07:44 PM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #197
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,491
Good Stuff! Thanks for posting!
Newner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #198
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317

Lucky you couldn't find that bolt in Carbondale
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #199
redone
That Guy

Oddometer: 1,154
All you need is the camera crew

Insomniac With Dave Attell

Comedian Dave Attell heads out with a camera crew after hours in cities across the country to see what people do in the wee hours of the night. From a tattoo convention in Memphis to ice fishing in Montreal, Attell stays up all night meeting bartenders, party-goers and anyone else that will talk to him.

I loved that show
How much fun can on man have

Don't Blink
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #200
stargazer4957
n00b

Oddometer: 3
No more free air!!

Quote:
I swear they should charge for air, you could make a million, there where at least 13 people come get some air in the time I spent working on the bike.

Hey John! They do charge for air at my local station in Dartmouth... $.50 buys you around 3-5 min. on the air-pump... what happened to the good old free air days?? The amazing adventure continues! The underwater pics are a hoot! Great mine tour pics too! Sorry to hear of the losses in the conflab with the miners! Loving the backyard mechanics... minus the backyard of course! Marlene : )
stargazer4957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #201
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner
Good Stuff! Thanks for posting!
Newner
Hope you back to 100% man, I think I remember talking with you a little bit under one of the rockhouse overlooks at SLAP this year.

Glad your liking.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #202
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw

Lucky you couldn't find that bolt in Carbondale
Now I did say I had two, one long one and a shorter one so I'd still been well off and I was walking distance to the local napa

I've never broken one of those before and hope its the first and last time for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone
Insomniac With Dave Attell

Comedian Dave Attell heads out with a camera crew after hours in cities across the country to see what people do in the wee hours of the night. From a tattoo convention in Memphis to ice fishing in Montreal, Attell stays up all night meeting bartenders, party-goers and anyone else that will talk to him.

I loved that show
How much fun can on man have
Yeah a good episode could be produced in Labrador City midweek after a shift change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer4957
Hey John! They do charge for air at my local station in Dartmouth... $.50 buys you around 3-5 min. on the air-pump... what happened to the good old free air days?? The amazing adventure continues! The underwater pics are a hoot! Great mine tour pics too! Sorry to hear of the losses in the conflab with the miners! Loving the backyard mechanics... minus the backyard of course! Marlene : )
I agree it should be free too, it was just too damn funny how many people came up while I was just partially in the way of the air hose superhighway.

Its amazing how many people you can draw to a bike repair in a gas station parking lot.

Note to self: Next time I coast into gas station parking lot for onsite repair, move far away from free air and little less from the pay air hose

I"ll take the bad with the good, its mostly good and I wouldn't trade it, great experiences
Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #203
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Little update from as far North in Quebec as you can ride and probably still get high speed internet (I'll check in Caniapiscau when I get there): Radisson, Quebec at the end of the James Bay Road sitting in a bar having pizza and beer.

Made it up here after riding through the night up from the coast, ended up sleeping in the shit house pump building at 381km fuel stop on the JBR because it was raining so hard and I was too lazy to put up the tent.

Got up this morning and blasted up the rest of the JBR to Radisson and loaded up with lunch and some fuel for the Trans Tiaga Rd. Saw a group of 5 or so that I think are headed that way so maybe I'll play sweep and pick up any pieces. You've got to space far up her if its dry or its like all out racing.

Looking forward to this next bit and sleeping under the northern lights, I hope its cold as hell- I'll be ready for it with my little junkie camera.
Let's ride:

The internet here is blazing fast some I'm uploading some photos before I go, getting ready for some big updates after the TT road and then looking forward to going South, that Central Adv Rally in WI is looking good...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #204
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Ride On

Hey John John. The post are great, interesting and funny as hell! Keep them coming! Looks like you got the Mule running good and kicking hard again. Looks like you made friends with the miners and have stopped pissing in their beer! Maybe they just didn't understand your Okie sense of humor.

The new camera seems to be taking great pics. The self portraits are frickin hilarious. Mary says hi! Same old shit here at work just a different day. Keep the post coming, be careful out there on life's road and enjoy every damn moment!
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #205
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,941
ah John, how I wish I was able to join you for that run! As it is I'm training all week here in St. John's. Ride on dude!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #206
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
AWESOME REPORT!!! Thanks for keeping us updated, can't wait for the next installment. Glad you decided to go with a laptop and write it up as you go, I think I was talking to you at cancun and you said you were debating it.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #207
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317

Still no salad Did you pay lodging tax at the pumphouse Is that a sewage pumphouse
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #208
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
ah John, how I wish I was able to join you for that run! As it is I'm training all week here in St. John's. Ride on dude!
When you started talking about a ride there a while ago I thought you might be sceeming and end up joining John.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #209
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe
Hey John John. The post are great, interesting and funny as hell! Keep them coming! Looks like you got the Mule running good and kicking hard again. Looks like you made friends with the miners and have stopped pissing in their beer! Maybe they just didn't understand your Okie sense of humor.

The new camera seems to be taking great pics. The self portraits are frickin hilarious. Mary says hi! Same old shit here at work just a different day. Keep the post coming, be careful out there on life's road and enjoy every damn moment!
Freakin crazy fun. If the warranty doesn't cover that darn thing then I will just have to buy another one, I LOVED that camera, darn near bought the Olympus waterproof one but just couldn't bring myself to, I miss my little pentax way too much and nothing seems to compare for me + the stupid date stamp that this one doesn't seem to have.

I miss Mary a little myself, she is a very nice girl afterall and tell Terry it was good working with him to, I had a real nice balance at the former workplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
I don't know if you would have liked running it with me the way I was riding like a fool and living like a savage (Hey MtnDragon same stuff all over again) in the dust bowl I don't know how those boys from Ontario decided who would push and who would sweep-draw straws each morning , but you should go for it, its a good time. The North Rd is the fun one. Damn fun time over on the big island with you boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
AWESOME REPORT!!! Thanks for keeping us updated, can't wait for the next installment. Glad you decided to go with a laptop and write it up as you go, I think I was talking to you at cancun and you said you were debating it.
I don't know why but I enjoy this almost as much as riding, it so fun to get back to the interaction, I think that comes mostly riding solo and not taking many showers so the girls leave me alone after the first couple days dirty like I'm riding. Glad your liking dude, I'll keep it up best I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
Still no salad Did you pay lodging tax at the pumphouse Is that a sewage pumphouse
I got some greens for you coming. You know me, sleeping is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel
When you started talking about a ride there a while ago I thought you might be sceeming and end up joining John.
You taught me well poster Zen Master, look at the grasshopper now. Thanks man, its nice to know how not to be a post whore
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #210
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
so, you still headed this way?

I was thinking of opening the hunting cabin for a few days to some local ADV FF's (I expect you to arrive late, fall asleep in a chair by the fire, probably well fed, ah good times)
Works running my ass these days but I can always make some time for "travelers".
Keep focused on the road.