User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Good to see you at lunch today!

Hope this leg of your trip goes well, and let us know when you're due back in town.
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
redone
That Guy

Oddometer: 1,157
You better get going if you don't want to miss the boat.

Don't Blink
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by redone
You better get going if you don't want to miss the boat.
I know I'm always in a rush and have tickets to prove it
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just consulted mapquest:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Pryo...c=Sydney&2s=NS
and it looks like there are some miles to lay down to get to the boat, not the way I wanted to do it but its the way it is. The tires where the big hang up and me working on odds and ends.

Needed a half jeep full of rubber:

Got to play like a kid and get a banana fudge popsicle while working on the bike at shop temperature, have the beaver the damn thing before it melts all over the floor.

Almost got a picture of the new neighbor lady kinda trying to get picture of the ice cream van going down the road, she looks kinda cute from a few houses down.
Banana fugde macro on the left:

Got the gs911 up and running and checked some fault codes and nothing other than some ABS code that didn't look like much came up. Cool little thing, thinks its one of the good buys of all the stuff I bought for this trip. Also got some important looking papers that say how good I can drive a motorcycle, not really need for North but will use them more for South trip.

Easy to work little bugger:

Some of those codes, any look very bad to you guys?

another:

And my favorite real time mode, looks important:

Got the new shoes put on the mule plus the carry spare (real poser look now) that I will change before the boat or as time permits. Wishing I could be on the little bike and have a week and a half before the first ferry but it is what it is and I will just make the best of it. Looking forward to the week on the island to slow up and work on my picture skills and

Fresh tires and almost good to go:

Got me some MREs over at Tulsa today so I won't starve to death out on the road. Figured out a way to throw everything that I wanted on the mule and getting ready to take off this evening and run in the cool for a while over to the East.

Hope I have luck with the wifi thingy, I'm semi determined to keep this thing rolling all the way through.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

stopped in to gateway bmw for some oil and filter and received a warm reception and some swag from the manager and Muddbutt'n (I think?).

Still working on getting down the road to Sydney in time for the boat. Trying to hit the N. Falls in NY some time today and see where I end up.
Made up to grand daddy 0f all outdoor stores in Springfield to get some last supplies. Pictures are coming with the wifi as soon as I'm back in range.

Adios
Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #21
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Had to take a break in Effingham, IL because I was hot and the mule was tired:

So I wimped out and decided to break for the afternoon and regroup and do the nighttime shift instead, seems it will be easier to make quality time, less heat and traffic to deal with.

I left the house late last night and made it up to Springfield, MO for the first night. Stopped by one of the worlds largest McDs on my way, the glass house over the Will Rogers:

and bush camped right in town across the street from the BPS

sleeping on rocks means nothing to me now, thanks to the little cot that I love:

and woke up early because the store was opened at 7am and I wanted to make the most of the day, so I thought.

Went in and checked the store out, going under lots of changes right now. The big tank with the biggest fish was even empty for rennovations. The big alligator turtle was still there:

He's a beast:

Starting to run out of room on the bike but I found a spot for my new little camping mat here:

After I loaded up this is where I first noticed something amiss. I started the bike and it bulked and acted like the battery was low. Had a recent battery that I put in not long ago but it was a Westco so I was wondering a bit. The starter was taken off and cleaned up last time I did a major overhaul in the spring before SLAP so I thought I was alright.

I went on to St Louie to check out the arch.

Getting closer, it is one cool looking SS piece

I was thinking at this point it would be could to pick up some oil for a needed oil change sometime before Wed and thought why not stop at the local shop for some lubricants and have a look around, I've heard good things about the place anyway.

Pulled up to the place and I was impressed with all the bikes, they even got white ones now:

It was pretty busy and took a little to get some oil and crush rings gathered up but they had wifi so I took it easy and made a quick post to stay current with the world. I met Justin aka Muddbutt'n who really went all out to take care of me. Here's The Man:

I got hooked up with the oil and some swag from the GM, who's name I forget but was a gs-ing fool as well, and loaded the oils and got ready to roll when I cranked the bike smoke rolled from the starter and the smell of something bad filled the air. Damn, so much for making good time today.
Turned out my little old starter gave up its ghost, better here than anywhere because these just happened to have one of the high-dollar little bastards that I was very happy to get my hands on, what are the odds?

So out with the old and in with the new:

That back bolt is a real SOB to get at and Justin hooked me up with an unknown mechanics wobble socket to get it, note to self, need one or have to remove the CAT to get it best I could tell.

Wobble in there out of sight.

Man I didn't know it should be that quite starting up, awesome. My only complaint now is the the top end of the throttle is hanging up or something going on with the TPS that lets in stumble at high speeds, maybe it will keep my out of trouble but its aggravating in heavy traffic where I need it most to stay out of the way.

I changed the starter out front in the parking lot and in retrospect I should have taken the offer to work in the shade of the shop but I thought I would give a short exercise in the servicability of starter exchange in the hot parking lot for the hell of it. I like picking good places to have problems and this was the absolute best place to be in the world today. Thanks Gateway BMW, I will speak highly of you guys and special thanks to Justin to helping me out, the dude said he would give me the starter off his 1150 if need be and I believe him

I finally got loaded back up with the fresh starter in place and was ready to roll. I had some packing issues with the backpack that I've been running for the first couple of trips this year, and had lunch at another McD and sorted the load by strapping the backpack on top, what a difference. I think I would still be going if the throttle thingy, the heat, and the traffic hadn't got to me a little and make me want to take a break and ride at night. Fixed a couple things on the bike with the handle bars where they got tweaked from the mule napping and still sorting the packing like I always have to do during the first part of a big trip.

Getting ready to take a shower and take off in the cool of the night and see what we can do about chopping some miles down tonight.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well after fixing the bent up bar from the parking lot lay-over and working over my turtle pac tank so it would stay together I got underway. It was much better traveling at night, cool and just me and the trucks and a handful of cars scattered.

At one point there was some short cab over box truck with Indiana plates that came up quick on me and shortly after passing went into black out mode for a long time, I was interested so I sped up to watch all this. The dude would get out in the open and then go drug runner blackout for a few miles even more than once passing a big truck with no lights on
Never could figure out what he was up to but I went on around when we got into some traffic West side of Indianapolis and that's all I know about that.

I was making really good time running in the cool night until I had an urge for some waffels and pulled over for at the first waffle house I came by for an early morning breakfast which turned into a gong show. I should have known better than that with all the Sat night drunks who got the muchies after getting their drink on.

Two waffels I got that where a screwed up earlier order:

Most of the meal less the toast:

The girl working the late shift was in over her head and got the order all jacked up, I was eating in stages all that I ordered plus an extra waffle give-away that ened up costing $10 with the a dollar and change for a tip that wasn't deserved but surely expected with no apologies. Oh well, money sure seems to go too easy sometimes. Such is life.

One of the worst WH in the country:

After the little WH breakfast I head on down the road until I need to take a stop at a rest area right East of Indianapolis called Greenfield. I went in to take a piss and have a stretch and then hopped back on the mule and got lights and fuel pump start-up just for a moment and then blacked out just like a blown fuse or something, great I'm really not liking loading and unloaded all the gear for each problem that comes along.

I got everything off ~3am at the rest stop that was thankfully well lit and started working on a diagnosis. Went to the fuse box first by mistake with the fluke getting ready to give er hell but then snapped back into reality and checked the most obvious, the battery connections, and sure enough the positive cable that I took off to change the starter had worked its way loose and was barely making contact. Easy fix but I had to pop the tank which was recently just filled, SOB. Got that all fixed up and off again after some extended time.

Keep on riding some nice easy miles in the early morning hours and was ready for a little cap nap on a rest area somewhere to the West of Columbus and found picnic table with my name on it around 5:30am my time. Slept really good for 1 1/2 hours and then cranked it on up again through Ohio.
View from my little table top bed:

Ohio has more than its fair share of Highway Patrol covering 70 and 71, more than once I was in a tight spot. Staying in the slow lane saved me and sacrificed the fast lane guy once for sure, red car didn't help much either.

Head on north towards Cleveland on the big roads still trying to make some time to get to the boat with some time to spare. Did have one fuel stop that cost me my glasses, seems I went in to pay and get a small bite to eat and somehow left them or someone snatch them up. I first noticed 1 mile down the interstate and turned back to look for them and came up with nothing, damn, least I can still see some.
Last known location of my specs, forever gone:

It will give me something to do on the island during the week between the ferry rides when I'm not riding.

One of the few stops that I was going to try and make was see Niagara Falls for the first time. All I remember is watching in on Superman and how he saved Lois Lane from going over the edge with his laser cutting eye beams. Was neat to see it and even better to walk down into the spray.

I stayed over on the American side and left goat island and the Canadian side for next time around maybe with that someone special

Lots of water going over the edge:

Really don't like the tourist thing that much any more but these are pretty neat and they are going to draw in the people. Looking forward to those big ones down the SA later on in the trip.

Very nice shade of blue green down below:

I got to check out the water proofness of a rally pro, works well from a stranger:

best I could do:

Waterproof camera working good so far, this might have looked pretty good had it not been for the extra mist:

I did find me a free place to park the mule while I went to have a look around:

Another thing I love about riding a bike, you can park it just about anywhere.

I loaded back up not really wanting to head on down the road just yet and found a nice little curry house to load up my palate on some foreign cuisine that was quite nice here:

One of my plates:

I met the owner Jag and his pal Walter and they told me a little about town and the neat little museum across the steet with the Niagara Falls daredevils and their history. They had some really neat displays and timeline of events of people trying to be famous, the guy that owns the shop is good friends with one of the more famous repeat offenders.

Here some pictures from there:

This worked well for Steven Trotters's first solo attempt.

Here's his second duo attempt for a Father's Day present that cost him around 20K:

Him and a girl went over it this beat up one and got stuck in the wash for about 90 mins before they got hauled in.

This didn't work out well at all:

Apparently his chute didn't open when he really needed it.

Here's to Jag for letting me hook up on his secure wifi and do this upload. He's a very nice native born American of Indian decent(really) who's family owns and operates the curry house. He grew up in LA and then ended up out here running the family business, he's good people :

Glad I got to met him.

I'm thinking about running out across NY and get over to Mt Washington while I have a little time before the boat that leaves Wednesday night out of Sydney, NS.

I hope this gets better than just hammering down the interstate stopping at the tourist destinations. Looking forward to the riding out on the islands and what's yet to come. Its been good to be on the big mule so far. I've been getting lots of nice compliments about her condtion, makes me smile every time.

Been good time so far. Adios for now.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

vermont is so cool that they have free wifi at the rest stop in the middle of the mountains!

Stayed outside Syracuse, NY last night right off the NY thru-way in a commuter parking lot next to the Boxing Hall of Fame. Got up and had some McD's burritos and started off for Albany and then headed North up into Vermont where I finally got off the interstate system if only for a little bit.

Going to the spot with the highest ever recorded wind, Mt. Washington in NH to check it out. On my way and I saw this hotspot and had to pull in and try it out. Typing a update in the shade on a nice cool, lush, green grass is awesome. Going to cross into Canada possibly tonight or stay in Maine somewhere with good lobster and cold beer.

Upload pictures later. Here's one good one that is worth thinking about:

Temperatures here in the moutains are much better, I did see 92 this morning in some town in NY , I thought that would be gone when I left OK.

Try to get another hotspot this evening if possible.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #24
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Short update, will do a proper one when I get to the big island later this week. In Fredericton NB with free downtown wifi coverage- all towns should be like this.

Yesterday I had a big day starting in NY and ended early this morning just inside the Canadian border where I sack out after having some problems being a little tired in Bangor, Maine where I needed a little catnap to keep me going.

I was glad to cross the border, it was by far the easiest crossing I have ever done, didn't hurt that it was 3:30am either I'm guessing. No wait and no passport needed.

I went to Mount Washington and it was totally awesome, I enjoy seeing stuff like that and on the way up I only had one car to deal with and thankfully they used to the first pull out they came up on.

I accidentally went to the wrong side of the mountain and took some backwoods loops to get around to the other side, lots of fun.

Then went to Portland to have some dinner, lobster rolled and the Portland Lobster Company, quite tasty and pricey as well.

Went on North to the border and found a spot to take a break for a few hours before coming on in to Fredericton, NB to get some wifi

Need to upload pic but my parking meter is running out some I'll get them later.

Wanting to swing Prince Edward Island but don't know about the costs of the bridge and ferry.

More to come.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481

Hi homie
Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #26
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister

And saw a rare motorbike for this country, I think it was a Honda Varadero that had been kitted out extra fuel and bags on the crash bars, looked to be from GB if those are the right plates, anyone one here??

France. Look at the "F" under the European Union stars.

Nice trip, keep posting!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #27
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY

Hi homie
Hey dude you still riding the stairs?

We need a DFW GTW back at the ole peaks sometime coming up in Sept before I head down to SA.

Eat you some more corn, this should take a while.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #28
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74
France. Look at the "F" under the European Union stars.

Nice trip, keep posting!
The things you learn from others, thanks man on the insight least I got the continent right

Glad your liking, I was beginning to think it was just me and 5 others watching this thing.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #29
MikeBike4
Excuse me..

Oddometer: 1,320
Nice Trip!

We're watching...just don't want to interrupt! Great report.
Forester S
MikeBike4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBike4
We're watching...just don't want to interrupt! Great report.
There are no interruptions just one of life's many tangents that come are way. The feed back it nice.

The best part about riding solo is that you can stop and set up shop at a wifi whenever the hell you want without pissing off anyone who wants to ride.

I'm just trying to get a routine going with this quasi up to date stuff.

Have some corn dude, and a beer for me if you care to.