Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #61
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister'ssis
Man...sounds like you've been doin' what you do. Meetin' people and riding like a banshee. Loved the pics of the bridge...cool find. Strange story about the people and their car, I'm sure they were glad to see ya. It is amazing the people you meet out traveling. Glad you're still having a good time. By the way, you shouldn't take pictures while you're driving. That's dangerous.

All's well here. Got my new $400 freaking spare put on my FJ. Freaks are gonna have a hard time rippin' off this one considering I got a little smarter this time with locking lug nuts. Still pissy about it Surely they'll get theirs soon. That's all from me. Gonna head up to P Creek next weekend. Sure gonna miss you. Swappin' vehicles with Tom and bringing back Cop. That'll be a nice change.

Catch ya later dude. K
Sorry to hear about your loss I guess I didn't hear any about that bad news. Gotta watch those suckers.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #62
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

The 21st started out from the very beginning at an early time and then I rested for a litttle while and got back up and around and decided to head into St John's and check on replacing the glasses that I lost in Ohio or PA on the trip North.

Had a nice quick run over to the city, St John's is like NYC to NY so I'll just call it the city from no on while out here in NF.

I barely took any pictures at all today and I think that should be considering a travel foul because in the digital format with a decent size ssd card there is almost no thing such as too many pictures taken in a day.

Needless to say this is going to be one of the shortest update days so far and I have to say that is not a bad thing, a little rest and relaxation is a good thing after the flogging I had to give the mule to make the boat in time.

On an interesting note on my way to said city I came upon a Royal Canadian Mounted Police and shut it down a few notches to take the slow ride into the city but intersting enough one of the cars behind me came around me with some speed and I was pleasantly surprise to see no light show at all.

Here I come, well when in Rome do as a Roman so I make my way around the patrol and continue on into Rome at a better pace, the evidence:

The white car was the RCMP that happily went about his way and no I didn't take a picture or even twist the head to give a glance, I just eased on around and back into the slow side and went about my business.

A quick shot from afar on the outskirts.

I took an exit ramp on a whim following a slow and timid riding harley, no man I was not trying to run up your ass I just have never seen anyone enjoying any kind of bike at that speed in my life.

I ended up on a road that brought me by a Kawasaki shop and another shop across the street. I pulled into the K shop and found the first person in the parking lot and questioned them about a lens crafter like store that might be able to accomadate the request for expedidted glass Rx. He directed me only a few more miles down the road to a place called Vogue, I was have way expecting to see a RV dealership instead.

Got some help there allowing me to use the phone and call my father who would be able to fax up the Rx to see if they had the lens in stock otherwise they farm out the work to PEI or somewhere else. I left my contact information and then continued with a quick ride around the city and to find some wifi and lunch.

Went riding around the famed Gerorge St in town and found a nice coffee shop near the harbour on a nice street corner and set up shop for lunch and some nice hs net.

One of the few that day:

taken through the thick and vicious old glass from a near ancient cafe store front that has surely weathered many a cold winter thoughout its long ever moving life and not a crack one to show for it.

As I mentioned earlier I ended up homesteading the internet working on my labor that hardley seem labor at all, just a break from traveling and more living it seems.

Gregster from the rally who also was in town came by in the afternoon to have a quick visit before he headed back to Mike's place out in New Melbourne. Since I riding out there in the dark the night before I had no worries about this trip back this evening. I was late as usual for the pig roast and this time the party had increased in size since the rally was really officially cranked up.

It was nice to have a not so large in that you couldn't get around and visit with most of the guests. I ended up meeting even more of the great group of riders from NF and surrounding areas. There where lots of talk about different rides, bikes, and many googd stories shared and heard from the experiences of riders here on the ROCK.

Greg and I continued holding the 2 day old rally of being the night owls and continue to draw from the little bitch kegs and work on out share and then some. Again the pictures where of a dissappoint after I look back through my smugmug.

Believe me when I say it was a great time, it surely was. This was the first rally for Skibum and its got to be one of the first for ADVrider in NF. There was a lot of talk from the people of Cromag last year he seemed very interested in the idea and showed strong support but the actual people who show from Cromag number only one, way to go Ron who rode up from New Jersey. If its continued to be held it should only grow from word of mouth and I think this might just be on the best times of the year to ride the rock and this rally would be the perfect lay-over for insight from local riders with the knowledge to set up with a perfect ride all over the Rock.

I would come back here and hope to get to again one day in the future.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #63
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Almost met!

Thottlemeister,

We almost met on the PEI to NS ferry. I lodged in a place on the SE PEI shore on the night of the 18th and was planning to make the 10:30 ferry to NS on the 19th. I got to around Cardigan and realized I'd just miss the 10:30. I decided to ride around to the bridge instead of waiting for the 12:30 and goofing off around the ferry terminal and town. Wish I had picked the ferry & been able to say hello.

We're holed up in Pictou, NS right now waiting for Bill parts to blow over. The Cabot trail was great wasn't it? Did you get to go up to the northern point to Meat Cove? Really sceninc. Girls and landscape.

Later! Safe riding!

Rick
Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #64
stargazer4957
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Picked up a load of fuel and met up with local riders Marlene and Ray who were out for a little ride of their own. Talked about PEI and just BSed a little before going on our ways. Nice folks here:
Hey John! Was great running in to you in NB... sounds like you found the rain that Ray and I just missed when we came across the Confed Bridge from PEI a bit earlier. It was so hot that day that a little rain on the ride might have been refreshing! Thanks for sending me the link... and for the pic... spent a fair part of the day catching up on your ride... nice! Was homebound waiting out Hurricane Bill today... looks like you made it across to Newfoundland just in time. Hope Bill doesn't cause you any trouble over there!! Enjoying the posts... will keep following you. Always welcome if you ever get back this way! Ride safe and all the best on your continued amazing journey!
stargazer4957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #65
throttlemeister'ssis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Your new friend Bill

Well, I was checking out the weather scene and boy does it look crap. Sure hope you've got some stilts for your little cot. Looks like you might need them. Apparently Tom's having weather problems of his own. Not so sure about driving up to OK for Labor Day now. Sounds like the LR3 needs to find a different home. Took the seadoo out today after replacing the wear ring and it ran like a champ. I bought a tube and had some fun at a quarry lake.

Hope you don't look like a drowned, hairless rat in your next pics...if you remember to take any that is. xx, K
throttlemeister'ssis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #66
spick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great meeting you at the Soiree. Safe travels. ;)
spick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #67
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudge
Thottlemeister,

We almost met on the PEI to NS ferry. I lodged in a place on the SE PEI shore on the night of the 18th and was planning to make the 10:30 ferry to NS on the 19th. I got to around Cardigan and realized I'd just miss the 10:30. I decided to ride around to the bridge instead of waiting for the 12:30 and goofing off around the ferry terminal and town. Wish I had picked the ferry & been able to say hello.

We're holed up in Pictou, NS right now waiting for Bill parts to blow over. The Cabot trail was great wasn't it? Did you get to go up to the northern point to Meat Cove? Really sceninc. Girls and landscape.

Later! Safe riding!

Rick

I did meet you down at Oark one time before didn't I. Seems earlier this year I remember you on a KLR and your being from McAls.
Its a small world out there.

No meat cove for me, I was doing the told to me impossible, got of the boat in NS around 2pm and showed up at ferry for NF 15min before we loaded after running the CW loop of Cabot, I was fast. I'm very impressed with the women, Frederiction was a high and St John's probably becasue its my namesake town

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer4957
Hey John! Was great running in to you in NB... sounds like you found the rain that Ray and I just missed when we came across the Confed Bridge from PEI a bit earlier. It was so hot that day that a little rain on the ride might have been refreshing! Thanks for sending me the link... and for the pic... spent a fair part of the day catching up on your ride... nice! Was homebound waiting out Hurricane Bill today... looks like you made it across to Newfoundland just in time. Hope Bill doesn't cause you any trouble over there!! Enjoying the posts... will keep following you. Always welcome if you ever get back this way! Ride safe and all the best on your continued amazing journey!

Mr Bill didn't even phase us, it was my real first hurricane me being in the path and what a dud, no problems here on the North shore down east in New Melbourne. I love all the welcome invitations more than anything, its why I live traveling on a bike so much, its really good living.
Quote:
Well, I was checking out the weather scene and boy does it look crap. Sure hope you've got some stilts for your little cot. Looks like you might need them. Apparently Tom's having weather problems of his own. Not so sure about driving up to OK for Labor Day now. Sounds like the LR3 needs to find a different home. Took the seadoo out today after replacing the wear ring and it ran like a champ. I bought a tube and had some fun at a quarry lake.

Hope you don't look like a drowned, hairless rat in your next pics...if you remember to take any that is. xx, K

Mr Bill at nothing, I'll ride the eye of the storm.
Glad you guy your ski fixed, now stay out of the shallows. I'll have to hear more about Tom's stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spick
Great meeting you at the Soiree. Safe travels. ;)
Steve??- You've got one of the good ones, girls that ride are even more awesome. Hope you guys get down the road and live it up, there should be no disappointments.

Keep up the training Nancy, nice to meet you and Steve.

Nice NF rail ride, I'm looking through.

My first multi post, still working out the details on how to make it work right.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #68
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,286
Loving the stories and the pics. Keep 'em comin'
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #69
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Loving the stories and the pics. Keep 'em comin'
Glad your enjoying, you r squared boys would flat out love all the railroad beds up here, it would be as close to the perfect bike if there is such a thing-STOP don't say anything I know it would be very nice here.

The mule likes to graze alot:
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #70
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

August 22 turned out to be the most relaxing day so far after another early morning party until 4am for the second night in a role I woke up refreshed from a good sleep and ready to work on some updates and do some reading online about the rock and do some calling about some parts and check on the progress of glasses to see if they had my Rx.

The start of a new day:

The news was good when the girl said the Rx lenses where in stock and could be ready with a simple measurement and then produced while I wait so that would be most excellent. On a worse not, I have been interested in procuring a spare fuel pump because my gut feeling and a slight different noise from with in the tank is giving me a slight bit of concern. The bike is running good other than the before metioned high side of the throttle where the bike kind of falls on its face when at speed, okay high speed, so that is not much of a problem. The fuel pump is one of those little things that can leave you high and dry literally on the side of the road so I bit the bullet and sent for one that will with all luck be in the city on Tuesday afternoon so two problems solved with one trip. Also St John's is the eastern most terminus of the North American continent and you got to go to the edge and see it yourself.

The best mentioned part of the day today was the accomadations while I was working and reading so diligently thoughout the day and no one would believe me if I told them where I was working in the greatest spot that I have ever surfed the net, a little slice of heaven right here in NF at the Surfhouse.

The surfhouse is the conception of a great beach house by Craig D. who did the framining and many of the key components of construction himself. A surfer and a rider and one hell of a host.
Good waves abound out front with clear looking ocean:

Here's the man with a good wave under his long board photo montage:
He started way out there:

Cutting it good now:

Craig made it all the way in:

Now that's a big woodie, 11' worth:

This is one of my new favorite places, an excellent place to work on updates and drink lots of beers:

And its master Graig D:

He hooked me up for the rest of the weekend and was a hell of a place to spend my first hurricane, Mr. Bill. Was nothing, thunderstorms give me more of a rise.

He made a cool layout in here:

from the other end off the stairs:

It was quite easy to do quality work from here and the weather was near perfect temperature for open window sound of the wave action happening:

Did I say I'm blessed to meet such great people, I really am.

This was my previous night's digs, I moving up fast in the world:

at least I was close to these little bitches:

I got some updating done in style working here.and spent most of the day and the actual only riding I did was a quick run up to Skibum's place to get my spare charger and wouldn't know it Graig had a nice F8 Gs to buzz up on, but even with that quick ride I knew it was a bike I could use, just without the Jesses, they where just mounted a hair low for my liking or need a taller seat maybe. The light feel of the bike was the most amazing part, feels pounds lighter than my Dakar six-fidy

The rest of the day was just hanging out up for pulled pork dinner that was tasty, not the best pork I've ever had (I'm from OK) it was up there near the top end, sorry Dave Noel, not wanting to break your heart

Some of the crew down by the beach getting photos that I was too lazy to get riding to:

Strange beer product cans could be found little blurry to appreciate but its some Salmon Festival from Grand Falls Windsor. I don't remember them advertising on beer cans much back home, only on cola cans. Funny, these guys most be some real beer drinkers up here to put the advertising on beer cans or maybe I don't pay attention to the cans back home. I am suprised to see Coors Light with a decent presence within the market here.

You can see I didn't ride enough today...tomorrow I will change all that.

Still a wonderful time meeting all the new folks on the ROCK, rock on people

More later,

Real time now: the plan now is to go back to St John's today and first thing in the morning get the glasses fitting and made up, then have a lunch and then grab my new spare fuel pump from Keith at the Toy House. After these stops head over to the West large side of the island and see about some freight ferry hops down on the south shore to save me an in/out road riding.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #71
throttlemeister'ssis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Tom's ride

Well, I got a message from him today that he had it sold to some guy. Dad told me on Sunday that when a bitch of a storm had rolled through late last week that the thing had leaked. At that point, I decided to bail. Sounds like someone else needs to deal with that crap. I'm too busy with punks takin' my stuff.

So, that's the story on Tom's ride. I still don't think he's gotten that Explorer finished. Sounds like he's studying all the time. Me. I'm in the big town of Brady, Texas, this week and about to put in for the night. It was a long weekend. Got a trip to Chicago this weekend so I gotta get rested up.

Glad to hear the storm crapped out. Looks like you found a nice place to hang out. Like the setup. Good luck gettin' your specs & fuel pump. Those should keep you in good form for awhile.

Chat soon. xx, K
throttlemeister'ssis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #72
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Man that was a lot of reading but I'm now caught up. Nice RR
Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #73
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I got a message from him today that he had it sold to some guy. Dad told me on Sunday that when a bitch of a storm had rolled through late last week that the thing had leaked. At that point, I decided to bail. Sounds like someone else needs to deal with that crap. I'm too busy with punks takin' my stuff.

So, that's the story on Tom's ride. I still don't think he's gotten that Explorer finished. Sounds like he's studying all the time. Me. I'm in the big town of Brady, Texas, this week and about to put in for the night. It was a long weekend. Got a trip to Chicago this weekend so I gotta get rested up.

Glad to hear the storm crapped out. Looks like you found a nice place to hang out. Like the setup. Good luck gettin' your specs & fuel pump. Those should keep you in good form for awhile.

Chat soon. xx, K
I hope he does good on the test, it will be a big relief for him and everyone around him, especially if he sells the car too. You need to pm me his email, I tried to send him one but it bounced.
You still get around for a person who's got a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
Man that was a lot of reading but I'm now caught up. Nice RR

Glad your all on board now, have some corn and enjoy the show man, its best to get in at the top, this one should go on for some unknown long time.

Going to go watch the sun rise one the first part of North America proper for today here in my namesake town on the edge of my side of the world.

The ROCK is a grand time:
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #74
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
You sure are one lucky bastard that's for sure. You got yourself one hell of a ride going there.

It was great meeting with you and chatting. I was surprised to catch up with you again in Clarenville. My busted rack made it home and Dancingboy and Itsteve crashed for the night and hit the road the next morning.

Stay safe and keep the rubber down. You got directions to me if you need anything.

PS. Thanx for offiering up your strap to get me home, much appreciated but I had plenty of rope that i knew would hold.

Giv'er

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #75
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
Going to go watch the sun rise one the first part of North America proper for today here in my namesake town on the edge of my side of the world.
Funny you should say that. It is what I have for my location on the side there.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote