Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #766
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Hi again John
Is Che holding an M1 Carbine?
What would Mr. Williams think about that?
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #767
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,614
2010 New Year's Eve

I got going a little slower as I'd already been up for a while earlier in the day before retiring for a few more hours. Marin was trying to talk me into spending the Eve partying with his extended family in the hills somewhere around Moron. It sounded very good and had I another few weeks on island I would be in for it but as time was short I was wanted to do some more riding rather than making party. I was interested in having my first Cuban pizza as it is one of my most favorite foods at home besides BEEF. I'd seen a pizza joint during are many small trips around town and we went to check it out but unfortunately it was closed. He knew of one of those national run outfits and I got us some early lunch for a decent price. It wasn't horrible but it was left lacking.

IIRC this one and our drinks cost around 4 cuc or something and then we went across the street to the local's little pizza place and got another cheese pizza for a little over a quater the cost, but sans meat as it seems some things are harder to come by than others. With a full belly I took Marin back to his place and I loaded up my gear and he tried one last time to convince me to join him but I had other ideas on my mind and last night was enough party for the rest of the year I took off wandering my way through town looking for the exit I wanted and realized I'd forgotten my spare tire, thank goodness for waypoints as I'd have a hell of a time going directly back to his place as some of these towns are quite confusing places to get around. I saw this impressive tree, looked moreso in person, and took one on the fly; it had an enormous trunk with big ridges:

I headed out of town and fueled up as I was going to be heading along the North coast and didn't want to have to search for fuel for the next day as I didn't know if places would be open on the 1st. When I pulled into the station there was a truck with a big tank on the back filling up with what seemed to be the only working pump. As I was waiting a guy in a little official looking car pulled up and out came an officier in uniform as he strolled over to look at the bike. We greeted and a quick bit of Spanish came across that I didn't get as I replied I only spoke a little. He then quickly pointed at the garmin unit and waved his finger like "no no" and then off he went in his little official car. To note the customs guy in Cienfeugos looked right at it and I believe he even asked me questions about it and didn't say it wasn't allowed One of the gas pump maids came out and directed me to another working pump as the tanker truck was still hogging the fuel. I headed out to the North going toward Cayo Coco. The Austrians on bikes who I'd met over on the West side had told me about this casueway built running out to the island so I headed that way. My little junky paper map I'm running talked about aLa Redonda Lagoon and had one of the "oh this is interesting spot" symbol so I bit and stop in to have a look around. I pulled in to the near deserted place and parked in the shade:

It was hard for me to believe I almost forgot my spare tire(even thou I kinda hate it) but it carries so well hanging off the front pelican and keeps the weight of the weaker rear frame. The only time it bothers me is in deep ruts when it can drag, otherwise its perfect + worth a couple poser points

I walked up to the little touristy type area and had a look around the lagoon, the water had the same color as rootbeer. They had their services listed in English too, but the "meats" was a little different.

Had they had watersking I would have loved to jump in and cut wake, but it was a windy SOB so I didn't inquire further. One of my other goals this trip, watersking on the Amazon and Cuba would have been cool too I used to do a lot of river siking back home and love the exercise and being on the water.

Their other little bar setting on a little canal of the main lagoon wasn't even doing anything but looked like a nice place for a drink

I got back on the road headed for the coast and after a couple turns came by the CPR Association here (for my roping buddy Baker):

Cuban Professional Rodeo Association, their arena looks just about as typical as any from back home in Oklahoma. Too bad they didn't have anything going, I be in for using the motorcycle gear for something a little different

I continued up the road a few more km and came to the security checkpoint for Cayo Coco, they keep good tabs on who's coming out there as most if not all the tourists come in by plane on the islands strip-a sad way to see Cuba but I was told by Marin a very nice place to go like another Cozumel or any other touristy beach. I checked the price and it was more than I cared, don't even remember, to pay to drive a causeway. I doubled back a few km and took the first road East that headed along the mainland's coast road and took off down that way and following the turnoffs that went closer to the coast I was soon at a near abandoned resort pretty sure a relic of a past major hurricane. I took a look around and it seemed to be a perfect place to camp and hang out on the beach, I would've if I had more time.

I was real tempted but that first step was a doosey and I wasn't in the mood to try that hard and there always seemed to be watching anykind of building no matter how deserted it seemed. There was the big platform and the former kitchen area on one end that was covered and had walls on all sides missing only a door, just a little too much animal feces to be perfect spot if there where no hurricanes on the horizon.

I had to head back to the first option of the paved road that was a little two track that I hoped would go on through, only one way to find out. Off I tooled:

This turned out to be a really nice route that must have once been a main thoroughfare used many years ago as the underbrush was working on reclaiming what once was. The garmin seemed to think nothing was in the area, not really a big surprise. A near relic now, must have been during the Russian haydays

I made my way onwards and it opened up into lagoons on both side of the road obsured mostly by the edge growth but had telltale signs of previous crossing so I kept on it. At one point I scared up a ton of birds, I want to say they where hundreds of pink flamingos but they moved off it a hurry and all I could capture was this:

Pretty impressive when I first jumped them up from their spot. Sometimes it opened up so I could see the brackish lagoons litered with stumps, this one the ocean side.

Nice and wide and fast but not too quick as some parts had some nice holes ready to swallow the front end. Again you could tell at some point this was a main travel artery for the area and some effort was but into its construction as evidence of the raised road bed:

The above compared to the look on the garmin:

Soon it narrow back up and the a lot where it was a little tricky to squeeze through without getting knocked off the bike by the larger limbs.

Remembering some of those varieties having sharpies

Then it opened back up was more with the nice potholes as well, I stopped to take piss and turned back around and saw the remains of an old bus stop crumbling.

I kept on and got into what looked like a series of old small quater section lines or something with lots of little intersections with nothing more than old trails lined with sharp thorney trees. The ground's soil changed into more brown and started getting more muddy. My little map showed a town named Boliva near by and as I saw the first horse and buggy coming down on the lanes I stopped and waited for the old man and woman as they slowly approached. I pulled off my helmet and waited in the shade and gave my best waved and the pulled alongside and started our somewhat limited conversation. I gather there was a large ranch in the area and some of these roads where fenced off but got enough information to conculde that I was close to my goal but got directed in a roundabout way to get there. They where a real nice couple and a little scared at first but after we talked a bit they where very friendly and seemed very surprised to see the bike and where impressed when I told them I'd come from La Redonda Lagoon. We exchanged goodbye I headed to Boliva long before I thought I would ever be heading to Boliva I found the ranch they where talking about and got out to the paved roads once more and was able to step up the pace substantially compared to the last km in the muddy ruts. Horse and ox pulling carts make some of the worst deep muddy rut conditions, normally you get that nice flat in the middle but here you get that heavy messed up hoove track in the middle that has no unifomity and that in semi dried mud conditions sucks

Welcome to Bolivia, Cuba

You could tell by their signage it was a hardworking, proud community of folks

And speaking of ranches earlier and seeing the rodeo arena, as the West end seemed to have lot of tobacco and general farming, heading East especially right around this area ranching was big, and of course there is always the surgarcane, anywhere it could be put
The little steamer that couldn't or maybe just got retired after doing for so long

Did I say surgarcane?

I'm surprised more wasn't on the road following this guy with his leaning load. I continued on the paved road for awhile longer before wanting a little more quality riding and after passing through the small town of Esmeralda I found what I was looking for shortly. And going to Bolivia earlier than I thought was just the start of things because in just a few more km I ended up in:

Right after Brasil things started getting real good, I even dropped a waypoint called "Cuba Fun" as I really enjoyed this red colored dirt road blasting down it having a hell of a good time minding the infrequent bigger than normal dips. Great riding and nobody but me:

I was coming up on some minor intersections and a lone sign in the middle of nowhere, so I added a sticker for good measure:

I was getting a little lost out here with no real goal in mind just riding roads that felt great; I had plenty of food and water and a bunch of fuel on board and I was felling smug I got turned around a few times and found a couple of deadends but it didn't matter, I stopped and talked to one of the only people I saw walking the road just asking directions that didn't matter after seeing his hat You know all that junked that's over produced in the US that no one wants, hell some it ends up down here and I can tell you this guy wasn't a Texas fanI told him I was from Oklahoma and he didn't have anything to say about that. Was a nice guy but again my limited Spanish and this guys lack of any English made it a lmited conversation at best.

I like Texas and I've got lots of friends down there but then you run into those Texans that think the state should secede from the union It was funny to see his hat at that time/place!

I got out into smaller and smaller roads and got back into some irrigated farming country and kept on enjoying the ride. I came upon one of the most interesting bridges that I'd seen. I had been riding along another old road and had noticed old rr tracks running parallel to my course and then they where gone for a good ways coming up to this substantial creek. They pulled them up and made one heavy duty bridge using them across a set of steel ibeams that really weren't up to the weight of the mess but where doing a decent job of it here:

This was the biggest water crossing I had up to this point and I used the bridge first after having a look at it, just had one somewhat tricky section where you didn't want to drop a tire into and it was fine dry way across (part of the old narrow rr trestle in back):

Talk about a load of iron used to make a bridge, I wonder what its worth in scrap prices in US??

Just for the fun of it I crossed back over and was impressed with the depth of the creek, was enough fun I went back once more as I didn't care to have wet tires on the old rails just in case.
Maybe be some wild swag No but it did catch my eye

Little further down the track I come up on an old farming operation with an old crawler and older tractor, notice the rice rims too, no one seemed to be around, maybe sleeping:

I kept riding along the farm acess roads and eventually I came down to a fast flowing irrigation ditch and from the look of the bog on the entrace to the side I was on showed that I wanted no part of getting off into this mess. Had been too long since a tractor came through and it put up a fight getting through, I could see it wouldn't be fun on the bike and I would have loved to go out the way as doubleling back sucks. The far side, I didn't wade it:

The boggy entrance on my side:

It's kinda funny as the garmin thinks this was a main route, yeah right maybe 43 years ago

I turned back and luckily found a way out along a section less than a mile back. It led me on equally good farm roads and then onto more normal country roads and finally I popped back out on the hard right before sunset:

I can't think of any place I would rather be closing out the last day of 2010

I found a camp spot down the way near what looked to me be a dynamited old lake dam with a decent flowing creek coming from the long drain lake, it was a mosquito hole and cool enough to leave the riding jacket on while I whipped up a dinner and ate my last piece of Robertson's beef Jerky that I bought in TX back in November and a nice little bottle of HC to poison the blood suckers

My main course preparing:

What a ride its been, I won't soon be forgetting 2010's NYE!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #768
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
Awesome as always
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Hiya Ben and Ted, Glad you boys are still with me, I know I've been negelecting this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52 View Post
Hi again John
Is Che holding an M1 Carbine?
What would Mr. Williams think about that?
Jim
He's the one on the pedestal solo (you knew that part right??) and I think it shows him twice in the other mural, it was kinda a strange medium (concrete) the way the artist left it really rough cut. Your guess good as mine on the mural

Who's this "Mr. Williams" that your talking about? I forget lots you know

I hated missing the Crane Rally this year, maybe see you around later man.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #769
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,170
Great to see you posting again John.
You need to hurry up and get your RR up to date before you return down south

Hope all is well with family and work!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #770
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 579
Thanks for taking the time and effort to finish this and not leave us wondering what happened to you!

Looking forward to the next chapter. Cheers
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #771
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Great to see you posting again John.
You need to hurry up and get your RR up to date before you return down south

Hope all is well with family and work!
Hey SS good to hear from you man. Everything is going well, got some big Ultrasound tests to keep up the credentials and the cows to sell before heading back down South.
btw the old series 80 is going to come back to life I think, remind me when I get there and I'll show you some pictures.
I even have me a new theme song, Kings of Leon "Back Down South" I've been missing SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort to finish this and not leave us wondering what happened to you!

Looking forward to the next chapter. Cheers
I've been meaning to work on it for awhile and got myself motivated thanks to some encouragement by others. When are you coming back to the States? I can use all the contacts I find for Brasil, its pretty big you know, but sucks about the cost of fuel amoung other things Still really looking forward to the Amazon and beyond.

I'm going to try and get some more up tonight, pretty soon the story is gonna start

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 08-04-2011 at 06:33 PM
Throttlemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #772
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Hey

Good to see you back on the RR I'm guessing you might be a tad tired of the "warm" weather by now. Cold weather actually sounds kinda nice about now. Come on up north, the bugs are bad, the daylight is short but you are always welcome. (Why yes, my 01 dakar is sick. Frozen clutch)
No worries, Eliz is back on the yellow bike and seems happy. We are debating between, renting in Costa Rica this winter, Columbia or hauling bikes so we can do Copper Canyon.
Keep it going my friend.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #773
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,044
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #774
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Good to see you back on the RR I'm guessing you might be a tad tired of the "warm" weather by now. Cold weather actually sounds kinda nice about now. Come on up north, the bugs are bad, the daylight is short but you are always welcome. (Why yes, my 01 dakar is sick. Frozen clutch)
No worries, Eliz is back on the yellow bike and seems happy. We are debating between, renting in Costa Rica this winter, Columbia or hauling bikes so we can do Copper Canyon.
Keep it going my friend.
Greg and Elizabeth

It been the one of the top 3 hottest summer on record and I mean its been crazy hot. Our pastures are fried, we had a patch that was baled last year made ~112 big bales and this year only got 14

Sorry to hear about the bike troubles and even more sorry that you guys weren't on the Latin Rally list this year, it seems to have almost lost its steam without you guys. Looks like its going to be a splinter rally this go around. Really enjoyed last year's up at the cabin. I hated to hear of theft, loosing the old AC is like loosing a member of the family, not to mention all the other stuff.

I would go to Colombia, I think you will love it, especially if your Spanish is coming along. Mike in Cali has some good bikes for rent

I lost my update last night like an idiot, I pushed the eject button and lost my work Gotta be a little more careful. Lots more to come...

Hola Mike
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #775
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 136
Wow

SS tell me to take a look at your ride report I don't believe I just read a report front the especial place and the part from your sea report was just something real nice different.
Why you don't used the1150 mule
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #776
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
Hey John,

good to see you're back at it. I was wondering what you were doing, neglecting us like that...

Keep it coming buddy, we love your stories
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #777
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Enjoyed the conversation today. Keep the RR going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #778
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

January One Eleven

Got up in the new year ready to continue on with last year's most excellent riding and bring in the new year the right way with more of the same. I checked the made again and went of another recommendation of the taxi man from Santa Clara once more. He'd mentioned the nice beaches of Playa Santa Lucia so seeing how I was close I headed up to the North shore once more. I had a little riding to do as I easily found the road heading up to the resort area and started making good headway.

One of the interesting things I noticed was the Cuban's water tower construction methods. I have convinced myself that they had designed them to look like weapons of mass destruction because I'm sure the reconnasissance airplanes thought they had to be missle sites or special multi-array radar or something else special military. They could amost pass for alien flying saucer landing posts the way they looked They went to great effort to paint many of these up. This example IIRC was somewhat close to an old airport but man that's some special looking paint theme for a water tower, talk about sucky overhead painting

This style of water tower was throughout the country and with many different paint schemes.

I found my way up the beach once more, I added a little something special

It'll peel right off

I went up to the playa to have a little look for myself here on the East end of the island like pennisula of Santa Lucia. Nothing too special after seeing all of the nice beaches of the West end of the island.

I pulled into a national fuel station with one of the Panamerican tiendas and got some fuel and food supplies gathered up. A couple of tourists on rental scooters visited with me for a bit and seemed amazed that I got my bike imported. They enjoyed bikes and where doing a little exploring of there own around the place on two wheels themselves although they could only ride around the island like area and limited compared to myself I rode on down by the uninteresting resort areas and didn't even stop for a look. I continued on past the local housing area along the beach and was tempted to stop in for a drink and food as they looked very inviting and the locals tried to wave me in as I rode past. I went to the end of the road along the northern shore and stop for anothe set of pictures:

I continued on around the back side around the lagoon and jumped up another large flock of pink flamingos but again was too slow to get a good shot off. The much less used road around the back side was once nice road like many in Cuba but over the years of negelect had deterioted and now was starting to really get holed out in certain sections and nature was creeping back over the edges. I met up with the same road I'd came up to the beach and backtracked back out to a main junction and started working my way South heading towards Cuba's southern most point since it lies at the heel end of Cuba's eastern boot shape.
As I was tooling down the road I saw a sign for a memorial or somekind of ruins so, being in no particular hurry to go anywhere I decided to follow. It was a little off the main track and after the initial sign was a little hard to find but I eventually made the right turns and showed up to this little site, looked to have a newly constructed fence around the area and sat nearly in a person's yard in the middle of a very small village here:

It looked to be a tomb or possibly a battle site to me, I haven't even looked up the name on wiki yet:

Not having much more information about the place I continued on towards Cerro Caisimu and then onto the prominent city of the area, Las Tunas. Somewhere along that stretch I stopped at this nice sclupture for a little break. Not having marked anything in the Garmin I have little clue to where it is:

I entered the larger city of Las Tunas and was impressed, it looked to be a really nice city and seemed to be a patron of the arts. The town was clean and had nice parks and water fountains with lots of scluptures scattered about. I stopped for a few pictures in one of the town's little park areas.

Seeing how it was New Year's Day and all and I haven't been able to find any black-eyed peas anywhere I thought I should do the next best thing. Stop for a late big lunch:

Uno cerva, cameroons, papas fritas, and carne res was ordered at a nice roadside place setting just off a roundabout. I took a table by myself and soon as usual when sitting alone at a busy resturant l had company. Turned out to be a wonderful meal although a little expensive for the county but it was NYD and I thought I should eat a good meal without having to cook myself.

Swapped over to tu cola to wash the rest down

Two French guys, one of whom had immigrated to Toronto, where down in the country to do a wedding photo shoot and had some extra time on their hands so they rented a car and where traveling around doing a loop out of Havana. When I say the guys where photographers, well at least Mac was, I mean they had some impressive gear with them. Over our lunch we shared stories of traveling around the island and they had lots of questions while we BSed over our food. After lunch he asked if he could shoot me and I was more than happy to oblige. We set up in the parking lot and shot down towards the roundabout.
Mac with the camera and his buddy Greg who still lives in France right next to Geneva.

Notice the old pill box behind them in the above photo, must have been used to guard the roundabout at one point. I like seeing old fortifications like these:

I forget the type of film he was using in his old camera but it was the type that uses plates and was equipment intensive:

Setting up the shot, took a bit of time getting everything right.

I'm really interested in seeing these photos but have yet to be able to get ahold of him. His website has some neat b&w work from Cuba and other places here: www.maclupus.net I got to get my hands on these photos one day. With all the setup time and gear we had started to draw some attention to ourselves as a official in his little official car was observing and taking notice of what we where up to. We got the shots and hurried getting out of there before he got out of the car for a q&a session. I told them I was headed down to the southern point and they where already on the return leg back to Havana so we parted and went our seperate ways. Real nice meeting those guys, I still enjoy the interaction with most other tourists too Always nice speaking English too

I saw the cows coming home as I headed down South in the late afternoon:

Couple of limeys on the wrong side

You can tell the smart older ones from the dumb young one easily:

Leaving Las Tunas I stayed on mostly straight paved roads as I made good miles faster moving South. Heading to Vado del Jeso and on into Cauto Embarcadero where I turned off to the West to get over nearer the shore and find my way towards the southern point. I was getting back into some of the bigger farming areas again and past some type of coop with some late model New Holland combines, first newer equipment I'd noticed:

The large grain storage facility of the coop type compound:

It was a little tricky navigating to the direction I aimed to be and I ended up on some smaller roads and eventually got back out into the farm service roads once more after I passed Rio Cauto. I passed some nice roads along the way and was always impressed with the nice landscaping effort put into the right of ways, notice if you will off to the left of the following photo in the late afternoon sunlight the WMDs style watertowers

Trying to get where I wanted on the GPS display I got out on the small farm roads again, I really liked this type of travel alone by myself, just nice!

I got sucked in to a dead end once and had to double back I searched my way out down another track and came upon a muddy mess in the road as the irrigation ditch on the high side of the road had started letting go and without a proper repair continued to leak across the roadway forming a bog as it was making its way to the lowside ditch. It looked kinda bad at first:

The obvious dry line to the left of the previous picture was too steep to ride and would dump me off the lip.

The Cubans should have been all over this, someone wasn't doing there job, this could have been an easy fix with just a little plastic and some shovels

Just about giving up but being determined not too after already getting turned back earlier I was even more determined to get by this mess when I discovered a good line, well at least part of a good line across this mudhole but it needed a little work before I was ready to try it.

I cut some filler to help support the wait a little in the softer spots where the water was seeping across the tracks. I left it loaded and lined up and got as much momentum as I thought saved and dove of in it. I made it through the part I added some filler too and then the bottom dropped through and sunk me, damnit! I was stopped and needed a way to keep the bike from falling over while figure it all out. As bad as I hated to I started it back up and spun the back wheel in a little deeper to keep it from falling. Didn't help me any more getting it unstuck but did keep me from getting into the real bad holes.
I thought I should get a picture during the middle of my work, I must have had the shakes or the shimmys from all the damn mosquitos pestering me:

This really wasn't so bad, the worst by far where the little biting bastards who harrassed me while I was down. I found some logs and laid acoss the bad water filled ditches to keep from having the bike get in bad shape and to give me something to walk on keeping out of the muck. I pulled the back boxes off, the dry bags, and my spare and lugged them to the hard on the other side. I did a little lift from the back to free the stuck rear wheel that wasn't suctioned into the mud too bad. Once I got the tire up I shoved a stick underneath to keep from sinking back in. Come around the side while balancing the bike and drove out of the mess. Here's where the back end let go; from the perspective of the side I was headed:

Just should've used more filler and I would have been fine I think.

I took a little breather and shot my progress during my break swatting at the mosquitos:

I got a little warm, was nice to be beardless in a way; was cooler but the mosquitos had more surface area to work on plus my old bald head, they could have a frenzy

Finally all packed and loaded to go by dark thirty, I could only hope this was the worst spot on the route ahead.

An intersting note: As I'm writing this up from Google Earth and my superimposed gps tracks, there seemed to be a spray plane airbase right on the other side of the low ditch a couple hundred yards or so. Back when I was at that spot I'd walked up infront on the hole before I started to attempt my crossing to see what was over there after notice a building top and only noticed a building and no planes but on Google Earth's view from 3/24/2005 I could clearly see a plane and a short airstrip looking like it's set up for spray planes I should have taking a closer expection after I got freed from the trap, no one ever came over from the buidings I saw over there, would have been nice to have some help and would have saved lots of time too.
The neatest setup I could see for trips like this is a net connection to have google earth on your GPS, talk about getting into some kind of trouble In a few more years I bet...

Being free I was happy to get away from the mosquito infested area and get back on the bike and get out of the area. I got out of the farm fields as it seemed most access to the area was coming from the way I was going. I got back out to a paved road finally and started trying to figure a good place to set up the tent. Across the road I saw one of the main irrigation canals and headed for it having previous experience with right of ways on the canals. I went down the access road far enough from the gate station to not be easily seen and quickly set up shop jumped in my tent and kill all the mosquitos with the screen up before getting another night's rest for the first time this year.

The following day's morning view, not bad for picking a spot out in the dark

*I've reread some of these previous posts and apologize for my shitty grammer and spelling, I was taught better than that but have been writing in a hurry and not proof reading a thing
Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #779
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
Wow

SS tell me to take a look at your ride report I don't believe I just read a report front the especial place and the part from your sea report was just something real nice different.
Why you don't used the1150 mule
Thanks man!

That's one of the last places I thought I'd ever be going, wait I never thought about it before. I think I like sailing, would be better if it was myself, my bike and one of those special Latin beuties with mad sailing skills amoung others

I took the sixfidy because: 1) I had it. 2) More economical and can get well over 500 to a tankful 3) I still think it is lighter than the ole muley but don't care to find out until I get back home, my back thanks me for not knowing the weight at this point and time 4) Now I have the 1150 here in OK to tool around on but it needs some work, shockless right now with a busted subframe

There is a bunch more sailing adventure with the bike and still lots more crazier stuff in Cuba to finish up before I get back in the saddle. Even the car stuff in Jamaica was pretty nuts.
I'm looking forward to you and Silvi's country's uber cheap fuel, my bike will be in heaven and I'm sure I will manage just fine

We'll have to all go for beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Hey John,

good to see you're back at it. I was wondering what you were doing, neglecting us like that...

Keep it coming buddy, we love your stories
Hola Mr. Y I'm glad I'm getting this wrote down too. My good friend Nathan back home tells me I need to just write a book I think this is a little easier and I enjoy the interaction with you guys better

Hope your doing alright amigo, see you around one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie the Snake View Post
Enjoyed the conversation today. Keep the RR going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great pescado tacos too at Cancuns. Nice seeing you again today. Thanks for following along here
Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #780
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Real nice meeting those guys, I still enjoy the interaction with most other tourists too Always nice speaking English too
So, tell us your secret... how did you manage to make the French guys talk in English?