User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #826
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Did u?

Ever say "Its not that Bad" during the ordeal or try to sell them a poncho?. You are one funny guy.
Weapons? You should of asked them if they had a potato, some hair spray and alittle pvc tubing Can't wait to hear the next round
Ship me some cattle, I got tons of grass/water for them.
I almost jumped on the 1100 and headed to sipapu yesterday but life got in the way one more time.
Hope its a great rally.

Greg/Eliz/Carhartt
Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #827
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 605

So how was the coffee? Just knowing you were not going to jail I bet it was the best.

Can't wait for the rest of this adventure. Hey how about a video recreation of this scene? You know get some gear from a surplus store and have some friends dress up and video them pulling you out of a tent. You should pitch this to some talk shows or something. I think you need an agent.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #828
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857

Damn... Wish I was at ALARR!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #829
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
On a super slow internet connection here in Sipapu Lodge. Was a hellulva good ride until the ole mule's clutch (~105,000miles on the orginal) finally gave up the ghost and left me stranded in the middle of BFE down in some rough track no where suitable for loading out

The good thing I was riding along with Doug (Doggle on ADV) on a KLR, John from Alomagorda, NM, and Jim from Colorado on his wr250x. These guys helped me out in a major way as we humped the heavy broken bike up a more than a few hundred yards up hill to an area where a truck could get to it and hid the bike in the bushes yesterday afternoon. Rode out of the woods on back of John's klr and headed to the nearest town and got my helpers and myself a case of beer before heading back to camp at the Sipapu lodge. I made a deal with DaveG to load the mule in the back of his truck along with his wr250x and take the poor bike back home, second time at a Latin rally I had a big break but thanks to good people I was never left in bad shape

Had a good dinner at the lodge followed by a nice night around the campfire with plenty of drinks and stories and celebrated Ken's (NatiHarli) 70th birthday GMT and then some

I slept in this morning in my little bivy and when some more strong arms arrive back from the morning breakfast run in the Tahoe with SgtMarty and crew to Taos some of us will head out and retrieve the bike from the woods if it's still to be found.

Nice little rally with many great new and old friends

Thanks for the replies about the episode in the Special Place, it's so much easier to tell the story instead of typing it all down.

Be nice to be back to a regular internet connection!

Goodtimes!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #830
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Wow!!!

What a way to finish that amzing adv in Cuba. I guess you must have gotten really lucky to not have any of that happen earlier on your trip while camping all over the island. Can't wait to hear what happens!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #831
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDude View Post
Really?! This is how you are leaving us?! What a cliffhanger! Ride safe and have a blast, we will be patiently waiting your return.

-Alex
Got to build it all up you know Thanks for following along Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Thanks TM, Man I hope you make it out alive!
Well it's too bad you already know I did make it out alive or we could have a cool little poll or somekind of pot. It WAS pretty freaking iffy for awhile
I'm kinda decent at getting out of things, not trying to brag or anything but I was pretty worried about it at the time, and now it just seems like something out of a book. I'll get the immigration part out soon, just a lot more typing for that part

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe View Post
What, a story like this and no stinkin pictures!Pictures would of been great of you with the looks on your face! This is some funny shit John!
Hola Mark- I'm sure if you contact the nearest Cuban authorities outside of Santiago they can help us out with all of those photos, they are sure to have a bunch of me at my finest Looking back now it was kinda funny, glad I got away a lot more laughable sitting here typing this now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Damn.
It's worth a little bit of a rise, never thought I would get in that kinda mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Hearing this story in person is incredible.

I met up with English Joe last night here in Anchorage and we were talking about you and this very experience. Were your ears burning?
You and ole Joe Jackson, it's kinda funny how we run back into each other thousands of miles away isn't it Crazy good times, nice to be remembered a little from time to time, I try and make a good first impression. Great spending time in Medellin with you guys

Lot easier to tell the story in person btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
yar, I'm really enjoying this as I wasn't the one suffering
At the time I was thinking it sucked pretty hard, but now that it's over it wasn't so bad after allAt least I never did get those sharp blows to the ribs by a pointed boot, mainly just some sleep deprivation and maybe a couple of years of my life mentally

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Damn dude!

What a way to wake up!
You telling me When I saw the inside of that tent light up after I figured out it wasn't a dream I knew I was in for trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Ever say "Its not that Bad" during the ordeal or try to sell them a poncho?. You are one funny guy.
Weapons? You should of asked them if they had a potato, some hair spray and alittle pvc tubing Can't wait to hear the next round
Ship me some cattle, I got tons of grass/water for them.
I almost jumped on the 1100 and headed to sipapu yesterday but life got in the way one more time.
Hope its a great rally.

Greg/Eliz/Carhartt
Questions answered
Possibly, my mind was racing; No sells or mention where made thereof; Thanks man!; Glad I didn't have a potato gun on my person or it would have only added to the misery; If it wasn't so far I would be more than willing to let the herd head to lands in the North; You where missed at the Latin rally, me and Ken talked about the good ole days, I still think the cabin was one of the top 5 if not in the top 2, the skeet shooting was great fun and a very nice location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post

So how was the coffee? Just knowing you were not going to jail I bet it was the best.
You know I never got the chance to get that much needed cup of joe.
Quote:

Can't wait for the rest of this adventure. Hey how about a video recreation of this scene? You know get some gear from a surplus store and have some friends dress up and video them pulling you out of a tent. You should pitch this to some talk shows or something. I think you need an agent.
I don't know how many folks would be interested in some goofy, crazy bastard's exploits from Cuba whilst riding his motorcycleMoviestar

That's why I share it here only, the crowd that might actually appreciate it a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post

Damn... Wish I was at ALARR!

You where missed too man! Ken is on his way to fill you in on the finer details. Hope to see you for the next go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
What a way to finish that amzing adv in Cuba. I guess you must have gotten really lucky to not have any of that happen earlier on your trip while camping all over the island. Can't wait to hear what happens!!!

Later
John
Hola John It isn't quite over yet in that Special Place as I was able to get back on the bike and get one more good ride in and there is still the part of me taking on the Russian spies

And yes you are very correct in the fact that if all this had happened at the start or my little island tour it would have had a very different outcome, I liked the way it worked other than the messed up bit towards the end

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I will work over the next weeks getting all this ride report up to date before heading back down South to Colombia. Check my theme song "Back Down South" by Kings of Leon

Oh and btw way I don't mention it enough how I love ADVriderand the people that make it good
Old 09-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #832
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,960
Another cliffhanger

Having been to The special Place (I'm a Canuck and they like us) I know how serious the military there is, looking forward to seeing how you squeezed out of this situation.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #833
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Another cliffhanger

Having been to The special Place (I'm a Canuck and they like us) I know how serious the military there is, looking forward to seeing how you squeezed out of this situation.

hiya Ted I still consider myself a good friend of the Cuban

Is this really me?? Sometimes I have to utilize the greatest disguises in spy technology:

This one I call loaner hair

I will try and get some more typed up sometime today...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #834
Archimedes
Adventure Researcher

Oddometer: 181
Okay I get the PM now, I just got caught up, wow. Interested in where you were at the time. I doubt Deya and I will have any Cuban issues, my number three goal will be to get Fidel to sign my bike, that's got to be worth something.

What an awsome tale, Hey I've got Veterans plates, think they like that?
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #835
CB160
another old fart....

Oddometer: 80
Oh no...I've caught up to the end?.........

Hey TM,
I only wish my Dear Departed Hunny Bunny was still here to read this report! She grew up in Cuba on the Western end in the 'campo'...came to the US with parents (and the rest of the fandamily) at 17 yrs old...became a citizen etc.
Took the long nap several years ago and left me behind :( But she would have been thrilled to see the 'old country'
thru your eyes (as I have been). (I'm just another gringo, btw)
This whole R/R needs to be brought to the attention of Hollywood...there's a movie in here somewhere....
More fun for me, cuz it's about someone who's from my son's neighborhood - lives out around Tulsa, ha!
Sorry for the 'filler', but waitin' for the next update - like everyone else!
Ride on!
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #836
winegrower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Migration

It's going to be getting chilly here in another month or so. And I'm seeing the geese moving already. It's a sign to head south again my friend.
Buenos Dias y Via con Dios
Winegrower
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #837
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Okay I get the PM now, I just got caught up, wow. Interested in where you were at the time. I doubt Deya and I will have any Cuban issues, my number three goal will be to get Fidel to sign my bike, that's got to be worth something.

What an awsome tale, Hey I've got Veterans plates, think they like that?
I think I was getting close to being brought to the attention of "the man" but not in a good way

I had Cherokee Nation plates, I just told em I was a well traveled Native American

I'm sure you will have a great time if you go to the Special Place, wonderful place to take a bike for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB160 View Post
Hey TM,
I only wish my Dear Departed Hunny Bunny was still here to read this report! She grew up in Cuba on the Western end in the 'campo'...came to the US with parents (and the rest of the fandamily) at 17 yrs old...became a citizen etc.
Took the long nap several years ago and left me behind :( But she would have been thrilled to see the 'old country'
thru your eyes (as I have been). (I'm just another gringo, btw)
This whole R/R needs to be brought to the attention of Hollywood...there's a movie in here somewhere....
More fun for me, cuz it's about someone who's from my son's neighborhood - lives out around Tulsa, ha!
Sorry for the 'filler', but waitin' for the next update - like everyone else!
Ride on!
I've found Cubans and Cuban expats in the states are some really great people in my experiece. An expat certainly saved my mom's parents lives from a upside down burning car in New Meixco in the 1980s after they were hit headon by a drunk driver going the wrong way down a 4 lane hw

All you can do is remember the good times with those no longer here, glad you meet a good woman and got to share in some of her heritage from a special place.

No apologies on the filler, it's been tough for me to get this typed down, I've just got to get after it again and make it happen. A movie, that would be funny, be even better if they paid for some more traveling money

I'm not too far from Tulsa, just about 40mile away in little town of Pryor, it's OK too

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegrower View Post
It's going to be getting chilly here in another month or so. And I'm seeing the geese moving already. It's a sign to head south again my friend.
Buenos Dias y Via con Dios
Winegrower
Hola Bob, These days move too fast, I wish I could pause the clock and enjoy it all longer. I went tubing behind a good friend jet boat on my birthday first part of the month and can really tell the time has moved on, took me about a week to get over all the rag dollying I did over the HARD water
Got a few more things to deal with, even including some CMEs, and ready to make like a goose

Thanks for following along. I will get to working on this thing and get it up to date before I fly out
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #838
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jan 5th off to Immigration

Where I left off...

No, Your're going to immigration!

I was somewhat relieved that I wasn't going to prison but there were just too many people out that late at night looking for some "some stupid gringo in the woods" to get too much relief. This was a major posse and I felt like the bad guy and also felt sorry that so many people had to be involved in my little thing

I never ended up getting that coffee that I was offered and before much more time had passed I was ordered to get back on the bike and we took off again in a massive procession in the middle of the cool night back along the coastal road. I was mixed in the big bunch traveling slowly down the road with the mob where we ended up stopping again and that same police checkpoints that I'd waited out not too many hours previous. I again dismounted and my captures discussed again what, where and how this was all going to take place will I waited silently in the dark sitting on the edge of the road being gawked at by many in the posse. The bike still drew much of the attention as different guys looked everything over while we where waiting for the next direction from the higher ups. My main contact the military officier who spoke English and was with the first group that discovered me camping in the woods came over to explain the next bit to me.

We where to convoy into Santiago that early early morning and go to the immigartion officies in town, me still not knowing what was meant to happen, where I would be processed. I was to follow two police cars in front of me along with two or three more in the rear also surrounded with a group of a half dozen or so motos fore and aft as we took a painfully tiring and cold ride into town that seemed to take well over an hour. I was woefully unpaired for the nighttime riding having the minimal gear on at the time only saved by my heated grips making the ride nearly tolerable as we continued on into the night. During are little parade to Santiago I was almost laughing in my helmet at this whole mess of cars and bikes, lights flashing like some most wanted fugitive threatening to escape at any momnent. A couple of my little motocycle friends buzzing around me all the while like somekind of trick riding show as we made our way. Our little convoy lost some riders as we must have passed the ways to their own homes and pulled out of the formation as we neared the outskirts of the city surely heading back to their warm beds for the night while I was sure to suffer a much different fate.

Finally we made it into the nealy deserted street of Santiago in a very early Wednesday morning parade of lights as we negociated the city streets and found our way to the Immigartion Offices located in what appeared to be a mostly residential type area to me. At this point most of the convoy had taken off and I was left with just half or less of what we started out with. I parked the bike along the curb infront of the official building and was directed to wait out on the portico of the building. Being extremely tired at this point I was more than happy to lay down and just shut my eyes and curl up to stay warm, I even left my helemt on, it's amazing how secure I feel living my helmet on with my riding gear, I just feel safe and secure. I did my best to just try and sleep there on the porch but too much was spinning in my head and all I could do was close my eyes and hope for the best. It seemed like I stayed there for well over half an hour, I'd guess the current time to be 2:30am or and hour better but didn't really have an idea but I was quite a bit more than a little tired myself. They eventually came to rouse me from my spot and I was faking sleep hoping that they might have pity on me and give me rest but they didn't back off and I was forced to get up

I was brought inside the building and meet by the familair military officier again along with two others and placed in an old chair across the table from the other three and introduced. It was some mean looking older man, who I guess to be a head immigration officier who looked a little more than tourqued off about this early morning meeting, next a young guy named Alberto who turned out to be an interpreter from the airport; and lastly my familiar military contact who's name I don't recall. I am gald the immigration officier didn't speak English and I nearly any Spanish becuase he didn't look like a very nice person to be dealing with at such an early moring hour, or any hour for that matter. So it all began with hundreds of questions, just a small selection:

Where are you from? United States
Are you military? NO
Do you know anyone in the military?NO-(I thought it best to lie here because I thought they were being direct about Gitmo, and I don't know anybody there which is true to the best of my knowledge)
Why are you camping in the mountains? This is how I save money on long trips and there where too many mosquitos down by the coast.
Why you camp so good? Boyscouts (I kinda lied again I'd really just been a Webelo but I thought they could related better to Boy Scouts) I felt honoured to be asked that one
Why you no go back to Santiago? Because this is the type of riding I like to do, off road in the mountains and camp where it's cooler.

More later, got to post this before I loose it.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #839
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Yay!!!

Well thanks for continuing the post from that night in the special place. I've wanting to know what happened beside the fact that you made it out okay.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #840
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
I walked in on Ben as he was perusing his favorite porn site. Look at that twinkle in his eye.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote