Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #76
Redburn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Hi John just stumbled on to this toke awhile to catch up. Have a great trip.
Marty
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #77
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Looking Good John John!

Hey John Mark here. Me and Janeece have been following your reports. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun!! Keep them coming! Can't wait to see your next set of pics!
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #78
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,461

Still here. Good times buddy.

oh and : FRONT PAGE

Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #79
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevtrans
Hi John just stumbled on to this toke awhile to catch up. Have a great trip.
Marty

Glad you found this, still remember a good time riding with you and I usually don't ride well with others. Welcome aboard mate, have some corn and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinJoe
Hey John Mark here. Me and Janeece have been following your reports. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun!! Keep them coming! Can't wait to see your next set of pics!

Hey Mark, glad to have you show up here, sorry about not calling earlier, I got gone in a hurry. Please pass this link along to the the crew at the jobsite for me. This is too much fun. You get to see the 500# bomb replica I made up for steve? I' ll stop after I get done up here in the North, no Alaska this time maybe after SA part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY

Still here. Good times buddy.

oh and : FRONT PAGE

I really liked it too, ITsteve from PEI talked about it and then took it for me. His camera is better, so he might have some real good ones. It was a fun time at the rally. The fame of the front page would great, thanks for the vote.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #80
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
Hey TM

Good to see you are out and having a great time. Eliz and I would welcome any LARR attendee in the neighborhood. We have a place just north of Saint Paul MN and a cabin (North 80 miles) you can call home. If you were serious about shopping at the "stich" warehouse, its about 2 hours north of here.
(I've got bike parts just in case.... my 1100 decided to trash the small bearing this time) Let me know if you are going to pass anywhere near here.(I'm always looking for an excuse to ride : ) Greg
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #81
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Argh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
I did meet you down at Oark one time before didn't I. Seems earlier this year I remember you on a KLR and your being from McAls.
Its a small world out there.
Damn, now I remember that.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose...misplace...whatever.

Rick
Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #82
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
Good to see you are out and having a great time. Eliz and I would welcome any LARR attendee in the neighborhood. We have a place just north of Saint Paul MN and a cabin (North 80 miles) you can call home. If you were serious about shopping at the "stich" warehouse, its about 2 hours north of here.
(I've got bike parts just in case.... my 1100 decided to trash the small bearing this time) Let me know if you are going to pass anywhere near here.(I'm always looking for an excuse to ride : ) Greg
I'm planning going over the Great Lakes and maybe UP or International Falls down to the stich. I will be in contact as it draws nearer.

Cabins in the woods are cool...
Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #83
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudge
Damn, now I remember that.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose...misplace...whatever.

Rick
You don't have to tell me, that day just stuck some how. You up on the big island yet?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #84
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Aug 23 the mad fun continues:

A sun-up I tied thanks to Graig,
My intial attempts, you be the judge:

another one:

The pano I like it:

I'd woke up in the morning this Sunday staying at the surfhouse feeling in top form and ready to go for a ride. The target with a return back to the surfhouse to beat Mr Bill Hurricane was going to be to Bonavista, the pennisula next over to the West of the the New Melbourne pennisula. I ended up leaving for a ride a nice 400+ mile ride. No crazy ass stories just a nice ride covering some ground out of the the Eastern neck of the island.
Here's the good people I shared the surfhous with:
We've got Craig, Steve, and Nancy all just super

A montage of the rally site, poopers:

Some of the riders:

and some bikes:

There was a sabatour in the bunch, new badge for the mule place during the nightime festivities:

So many towns with some many crazy names like; Heart's Desire, Heart's Content, Heart's Delight (most named due to the shape of the bays), Come By Chance, and the every famous Dildo that never voted to change its name unlike a few other another local towns like one formerly known as Gayside and the then the baymen decided to go with Baytona and a Hibb's Hole going to Hibb's Cove. Name can make a place, Dildo has remained possibly only as a known tourist attraction for all the dirty bastards out there that want the picture. Am I really one...

A nice day but started out a little hot and sweaty trying to coax the mule up some paths she didn't want to go back to the rail beds off of these route:

These can get tight and slimy some time, my rear tire would have been nice.

Bout 4 wheeler wide, the mule gets slapped almost continuosly as she goes by the ever encroaching alder bush that's always grabbing for you or by all the piney trees, one or the other and sometimes both.

Pretty soon it led to the mule wanting to lay down on me:

Not wanting to do much more heavy lifting and went back to the bigger roads and on to the TCH to go up to the next pennisula and see the point.
Lunch was in order by this time and I spent every C $ I had for it, for 10 it was good and yes the relish works just don't ask me how:

from a small roadside cafe/station just South of Come By Chance, nice people working there. After we both got filled we continued on our way as it should be:

Moving out in the arm of the island I found a nice gravel road going out to a provincial park that I turned off down:

Real nice riding to the turnoff of the park then it got worse, or should I say better for our ride, nothing too wild just lots of pot holes and such. A newer side road going North of the track I was on that the Garmin dosen't know and I would like be familar with but I had an agenda to move on.

Came out by the sea on the West side and moved on out to the point.

John squared not even trying to.

In to Bonavista for a look around, the harbour:

They have a sailing relic, repo I'm almost sure, that they keep in the big blue shed over there in the foreground on the far side of the harbour. Here's that one:

Its a got a gift shop that I pulled up along side and then out come the pretty gift shop lady checking me or the mule out, I'm thinking it was me
She liked bikes alot and thought the mule looked good and was impressed with all the dirt and scratches, she was a good girl with a little one in the oven but that didn't stop her:

I was looking for an ice cream and she was able to direct me to a local watering hole in town for a cold drink:

They give you a bell with your beer, the first time ever for me, I only used it to call in the pretty maid to question her, no pics for you of her but my little bell:

One was just right and now off to the lighthouse on the point:

In the past history of this lighthouse there was a fog horn operator that lived with his family out on the rocky point and had just a small footbridge across this gap as his only communication with the mainland, thankfully in a storm in the first part of the 20th century it got wiped out and was never rebulit, I'm sure the fog operator was not disappointed too much having to walk over a rickety walkway across this:

Inside was a nice show and this Sunday it was the freebie day and I took advantage of the situation at hand. The lighthouse structure had 3 main levels and on each level was a host in period dress talking about the daily routine of life at the house. The first level was where a counter weight would slowly fall over a two hour period that would rotate the light assembly much like the pull chains on a grandfather clock work. It would fall and the operator or their assistant would go up to the light house's top level and crank the weight back up to the top to slowly fall again and keep the light assembly turning.
The first level showing the that counterweight:

Tne next level was my favorite level or maybe it was just the host. Megan was a student from the mainland on summer break from university who spend her summer working out at Bonavista Lighthouse. She's a twenty year old sharpy who's wanting to be a neurosurgeon, you go girl. Very pleasant and pretty, typical of the nice women found on the island. She gave me a good tour of the second floor with the flag room and the flume light tubes, the flags used to communicate with passing ships could ask and receive questions with ease just using a combination of flags.

Moving on up into the top level where the guts of lighthouse where located, very old stuff that works well over many years, heavy duty construction:

Here are the reflectors, and the round spoked wheel can control how fast the lights rotate, never did pick up what the change in speed meant or why it would be needed?? Must be for that thick chewy type of fog needs more speed.

Also seems John Cabot made one of his landings in or around this area in the 1497. My attempt:

There I got some help to show two famous explorers documented forever in immortality, he made me look short, I think he was embelished somewhat:

The info:

They had a community farm, and I was trying to set up a shot with the mule and some sheep overlooking the sea but alas my battery failed and I needed to get back to the hurricane hole to wait on Mr. Bill.

The mutton:

The mule is a friend of the moose now:

I made my way back to the surfhouse to wait out the storm but before the hurricane came across to the north shore to have the closing ceremonies of the first Skibum Soriee out on the bank of the North Atlantic ocean. It was a nice closing to a great day:
Dun dun na dun na dun dun, (superman theme inserted here). Reggfoo2's fireworks display photo montage:

Good times in New Foundland
Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #85
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Currently the plan is now moving more around the making the next ferry to Goose Bay that leaves out of Cartright on the 29th. I came back to St. John's to get some new glasses and a spare fuel pump but unfortunately the fuel pump failed to show like it wasn't ordered in time or something, a dissappointment but a solution to the problem would be to forward the pump to Goose Bay so I can pick it up on the mainland.

This morning I'll leave from St John's with my new glasses and go West far and fast. Maybe stopping in Gros Morne to camp or figure something along the way. These delays waiting on stuff is putting me back into the rush mode that I try to stay away from but such is life. I'll see what I can do.

Yesterday I did some service on the bike and got all the fluids changed and welded up a cylinder head guard and nylocked the battery bolts and put on the new rear pads finally, I got my use out of the last pair.

It been a wonderful break hanging out with Graig D. here in St. John's and at the surfhouse, the guy's just plain super along with his wife Lisa who have just treated me like visiting rolyatly. Thank you guys so much, it was a pleausre spending so much time with you guys

I'll load up and head out West today and see where the wind and cooler temps now take me.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #86
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Here is some photos of the sabatour or should say sabatours.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #87
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Here is another cool shot of the mule resting for the night.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #88
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,851
still trying to get through this from the beginning-more later
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #89
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Life looks Fun!!

Hey John. Looks like ur having a great time. Will forward the thread to all the no lifers here at work. Its great to see what ur up to. Keep it coming. Watch out for a big Ass Moose along ur ways. The pics are great!
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #90
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel
Here is some photos of the sabatour or should say sabatours.

Look at all the dirty bastids, the culprits I see. No problem here, at least I didn't get branded myself. It was great time.

Dave I did a loop through Gander and didn't see any Honda dealer, I saw the old one but nothing else. Going to eat lunch with you if I could have found you.

I left St John's sometime this morning and only stopped for gas and again at Bishop's Falls for a look and road the rr for a little bit then jumped back on the TCH road to Deer Lake where I sit here in the Bar below the Driftwood Inn sucking down beers and the net. No much other than making miles, the falls where nice, looked like Black Horse following out of the gates, ah beer.

Will work on the updates here at the bar until they throw me out, this spot will be nice if the single girls start coming in, hope its as good as St John's.

Craig's wife Lisa reported to me that the best place for a women to meet a mate in for here to go to Anchorage, Alaska, like duh and the best place for a guy to meet his girl is St John's, that's exciting news. I shall return to my namesake town.

Had a little rain today and ran the gerb for the first time and it was good, like riding in a warm bath. I love this stuff, bad news is the pod charger seems to have crapped, I will survive.

Updates are coming, maybe I'll get to real time with some quality screen time here, we'll see.

I 'll lay up somewhere around town here tonight and hit Gros Morne tomorrow and up to the Viking grounds before the ferry to the mainland