Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #106
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
Big Is, Pics & Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
You don't have to tell me, that day just stuck some how. You up on the big island yet?
We spent a week hugging the coast of Nova Scotia and cancelled any Newfoundland excursion. Not enough time. We decided we would be back for that and Labrador.

Great pics, BTW. I've got the same waterproof Pentax you have. It does pretty well. This trip I gave it to the wife & I'm using the Canon equivilent.

Don't want to rub it in but I did see moose near Moosehead lake in Maine. A cow and calf ran out of the forest about 20 yards in front of me on a back gravel road. I was doing about 45mph. Luckly it was hard packed and I got it shut down quick. Damn, moose are really, really big. I didn't get a pic of them but I do have a stain in my undies I can show. I also saw a couple of black bear today on a New Brunswick back gravel road. Over 200 yards away. I've seen one live porcupine and about 100 dead ones. I guess they are the Nova Scotia equivilent of a Oklahoma skunk.

Great report, keep it coming.

Rick
Old 08-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #107
Mud Butt'n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
ah hell

John,
Wow that oil has traveled some miles. I finally tonight, have had time to catch up. Looks as if you are enjoying your ride time. I am so jealous. Don't ever work at a shop ,you'll ride so little. We are here to keep all the kats like you rolling. Sorry for yet another mistake on the oil not being synthetic. I kinda fell into that transaction that day, kinda like a child wandering into an adult conversation. Tis sad and great that my memory of all those part numbers drug me into it. That starter was definately sent down from somewhere because in 10 yrs of my parts managers existence he has never had to order one in. Crazy crazy. As for the dinosaur oil, I feel it is better and keeps the 1150 clunk and bang at bay. If you come back through this way, no matter when, I will get you the synthetic stuff, a place to stay/work on your bike, and a beer or 4 on me. GS on.
mud
Mud Butt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #108
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud butt'n
John,
Wow that oil has traveled some miles. I finally tonight, have had time to catch up. Looks as if you are enjoying your ride time. I am so jealous. Don't ever work at a shop ,you'll ride so little. We are here to keep all the kats like you rolling. Sorry for yet another mistake on the oil not being synthetic. I kinda fell into that transaction that day, kinda like a child wandering into an adult conversation. Tis sad and great that my memory of all those part numbers drug me into it. That starter was definately sent down from somewhere because in 10 yrs of my parts managers existence he has never had to order one in. Crazy crazy. As for the dinosaur oil, I feel it is better and keeps the 1150 clunk and bang at bay. If you come back through this way, no matter when, I will get you the synthetic stuff, a place to stay/work on your bike, and a beer or 4 on me. GS on.
mud
Its all good man, I just got to bitch every now and then This is the time of my life no matter what happens. Its meeting people like yourself and all the others that I've met along the way that's the icing on the cake.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #109
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudge
We spent a week hugging the coast of Nova Scotia and cancelled any Newfoundland excursion. Not enough time. We decided we would be back for that and Labrador.

Great pics, BTW. I've got the same waterproof Pentax you have. It does pretty well. This trip I gave it to the wife & I'm using the Canon equivilent.

Don't want to rub it in but I did see moose near Moosehead lake in Maine. A cow and calf ran out of the forest about 20 yards in front of me on a back gravel road. I was doing about 45mph. Luckly it was hard packed and I got it shut down quick. Damn, moose are really, really big. I didn't get a pic of them but I do have a stain in my undies I can show. I also saw a couple of black bear today on a New Brunswick back gravel road. Over 200 yards away. I've seen one live porcupine and about 100 dead ones. I guess they are the Nova Scotia equivilent of a Oklahoma skunk.

Great report, keep it coming.

Rick
I've seen them in Alaska and they remind me of drunk horses, they can't seem to make their minds up and swerve back and forth running down the road and then all the sudden just crash through the thickest brush along the way with out a care at all for self preservation, their hide must be damn thick.
I was just hoping to see a Newfie moose and get a good picture with the mule, who's a friend of the moose

Good call on NF, a person really ought to have at least 2.5 to 3 weeks to really blanket the island and do the frieght boats on the south coast, but I've got other roads to ride before the snow really sets in. Have a good ride.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #110
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister'ssis
Hey! Liking the lighthouse pics. How beautiful! Too bad about your pump. Not so sure about your specs just yet. I think I need a non-helmet pic to be able to make an informed decision. At least you got some new ones. Maybe you'll see a big ass moose now.

Getting packed up for Chicago now. For whatever reason I'll never understand I booked the 7:20 flight. Ouch. Oh well. I guess that'll give me some time to hang out before my peeps show. I'm already ready to get things going. Still planning on going home next weekend and bringing back Cop so it's gonna be a busy couple of weeks it seems.

Ride hard and safe man.
xx K
I really starting to enjoy the picture taking esp, the panoramics. You're still quite the traveler, glad your liking the new deal. Safe travels yourself.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 AM   #111
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

I duffed my second update of the trip so far, I was doing so good and then clicked on the ADV header and shot myself in the gut.

I will update later, I need to get on the road and go to rape, pilliage, and plunder (only with consent ) the way my ancestors did. Going up to St Anthony area today in some heavier weather and see what its all about.

In the meantime Say hello to my little one armed friend

And the horny crabs:

Seafood is my friend and I am not its:

Got to go for know the update will wait, I'm only a day off some I got some slack.

I'm going to go play Viking and I know the way:

More later when I get hot spot again and some playtime

Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #112
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
You are going to have to get used to Wordpad.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #113
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thursday the 27th.

The night guy at the Driftwood Inn in Deer Lake and I started talking a little after I shut the bar down downstairs and he gave me so good information on where I might set up shop for the night. He mentioned about the town's outdoor stage that had a top and side and that he'd see bicyclists camp down there before while walking on his way home after his shift was over. Perfect that's just what I need because the wind was howling and it looked like rain coming. He gave me a quick set of directions and sent me on my way looking for this spot. I pulled down the road a short ways and sure enough it looked to be perfect but when I pulled up behind the stage it was surrounded by fence with both the larger gates locked up tight, so not to be discouraged I took a sled path around the perimeter and found my way in through a little gate just barely; kinda like walking a 30' combine header through a 25' gate, its tricky. I pulled beside and scoped the place out and other than being a little trashy it would work nicely for myself. It must be where the local hoodlums come to drink beer and fool around, beer and trash was strung about the place. I set up shop and fell quickly to sleep in my warm bag and comfy cot.

I woke up early in the morning and caught the new sun of the day and took a quick picture and covered back up in the cool moring air to rest until I was ready:

The place from the outside:

The layout, it was perfect for me; a roof, a windblock, and a floor. I could have even giving the mule a spot under cover if I wanted to hop the slab:

I left a little out of the way mark to see if you can find it here:

The narrow little gate on my way out, it was a squeeze play:

Got up and got my stuff together and got setup for the cooling riding that was coming, summer is now over and the early fall begins. I had to go pick up some fuel, get some burger money from the bank ATM, mail off some postcards from the local PO, and got me a small bagel and juice for a very late breakfast early lunch right ~11am and I was off for Gros Morne National Park to check the place out.

Nice to not be charged when I pulled up to the park entrance area, if driving through and not hiking the park it was free. The weather was so bad it was going to be unlikely that the Western Brook Pond boat ride was going to happen so I wrote that off for another time or trip to Norway to see the big ones. The gal at the booth told me that Tabletop Rock and Trout River are nice so I headed that way down the dead end to see what it looked like. I stopped at a visitors center and took a look but didn't use much time to read all the material they offered inside. I do like looking at pictures of the world at night from space its just amazing how much we use light, I can easliy tell almost any large city on the map:

A nice relief map inside the center, the Western Brook Pond is easy to tell:

Another one of my favorite kinds, pano:

or this you be the judge:

I continued on down to Trout River passing the Tabletop Rock area and went to the end of the line once more. Seems last year or so a large storm wiped out most of the sea front in town and I visited with some of the project workers restoring the boardwalk. One of the workers told me that the waves the wrecked the town where breaking as high as the little protrusion on the rock to the left of this picture:

The older part of the board walk in front of the general store where I had a cola and some chocalate for a break.

After my little snack I came back up the dead end and who did I see but a yellow bike I know well, it was Ron (RegFoo2) from NJ who was checking out Tabletop rock. I pulled in a he came walking back down the path from looking at the creek, I knew I would run into him again after we left St. John's Wednesday.

My pano showing the distint differences of the two areas, brown on one side and green on the other:

Ron told me that Steve (ITSteve) and Noel (Dancingboy) where in the area and that they all holed up in Rocky Point just down the road. Sure enough they came up directly from the Trout River area and we had a mini skibum reunion on the other side of the island, with the US boys and the PEI guy.

We all decide to get a bite to eat at Woody Point just down the road from the visitor's center but Steve needed some gas before we ate.

We ended up eating at a place Noel and knowledge of at the Loft of something or other. I wasn't too hungry so I just had a beer and fish sandwich which wasn't too bad. We paid our bills and Steve and Noel took back off while Ron and I had some icecream and decided to have a look at the lighthouse, what a little LH it was, little mini one:

I ended up taking Ron down a nice little hill to give him a little test by accident, I was trying to tell him to turn around at the top, he made it anyway and its good to get the GSes offroad anyhow:

We deciding to head back to Rocky Point to dodge some of the wet weather and get some net time at Ron's cabin. I got some stuff done and then later on Noel and Steve , who where staying at the same place as Ron came over and we discussed dinner options. I still had some left over beers from last weeks ferry I was working on a Ron had plowed through a small bottle of Irish Liquior and eating some different jellies covered with the Irish creme and sampling some wild blue berries he got from a roadside vendor so he was little unsure of riding and no one else seemed wanting to gear up so we walk down to resturant located in the top of a motel, it was the classiest place by far that I've been too in a long time and by far on any motorcycle trip. I should have seen this coming, I told Ron I would buy his dinner since I planned on staying in his room that night, in retrospect I should have just given him $40 bucks but I guess I am just such a nice SOB I'd by him salad, main course, drinks, desert, and sometype of nightcap after dinner drink or other. I'd come their to get some damn good food and I was interested in some lobster since this was an area I thought you should be able to get some good lobster, it may actually be gone mostly by now, over caught or something.
The dinners where nice and pricey here, oh well , you got to live while you can:
Even the table was pretty with its little folded napkins and all:

Getting suited up:

My little friend from earlier:

My other plate I bought:

And Noel's salmon:

Even tasty desert for me and of course I'd take care of Ron and that other drink:

The stuff I got Ron:

Noel kept it simple with the childs icecream:

And yeah I think I topped the most expensive ADVrider meal ever, here's my proof:

It was fun having the lobster but not some much fun with all the extras, usually when I have a meal of this caliber there is sometype of intimate after dinner relationship with the opposite sex that occurs, I was just plum out luck this night, thank goodness I had a small pull out sofa bed. And for some unknown reason Steve thought it best to do his laundry right as we got ready to walk down to the resturant for dinner so he totally missed the boat, must have been some stinky ass clothes to up and do it at that hour. As we went downstairs to leave in the bad weather Steve comes flying up on his KLR, and we're like what the hell, you missed it. At least he's got clean underpants, its more than I can say for myself.

He was nice enough to ferry us all back up to the cabins we where staying and kept us out of the rain so that was nice deal. I got in the cabin and was ready to hit the sack after a little net time and picture editing. Ron was the one that helped me get the internal memory to the SD card after all. I slept well and got up ready to roll the next morning on up to the North.
Here's the cabin that morning, the weather long changed from last week, it time for the heavy gear I packed for a reason.

And down the road a little ways where the massacre occurred:

The rest of 28th in the next, I guess it could have been worse There's always something and it never quits.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #114
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
massacre?

, Oh the spendy dinner. I get it. If you make it to my neck of the woods, I'll take you to my favorite "buffet" its like 7 bucks but very filling; )

GSdiablo screwed with this post 08-29-2009 at 04:42 PM
GSdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #115
outsideset
St. John's, Newfoundland

Oddometer: 7
[QUOTE=Throttlemeister]Thursday the 27th.

And yeah I think I topped the most expensive ADVrider meal ever, here's my proof:

You should have charged it to your room ; )
Old 08-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #116
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,940
I think you got off lucky at $55 each for dinner. Good thing you weren't buying bottles of wine too
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #117
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=outsideset]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister
Thursday the 27th.

You should have charged it to your room ; )
I wish we where staying there or I would have. oh well it only money and I can make more
Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #118
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well its just freaking amazing that the world has become so technologically advanced that its capable to have wifi on a boat sailing from Cartright to Goose Bay/Happy Valley.

I am in compelte awe of the technological madness avaliable to man.

but alas not enough bandwith to upload pictures.

Will update RR at some time, way to many beers for me.

I'm lovin it and the temperature has improved dramatically.

Its all good, except the pic upload.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #119
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo
, Oh the spendy dinner. I get it. If you make it to my neck of the woods, I'll take you to my favorite "buffet" its like 7 bucks but very filling; )
I'll limit myself to one trip.

Speaking of the dinner and the lobster fest tied into one, the $ dinner more so being the massacre.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #120
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,940
I believe thereis bad news on the horizon, more as details develop
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote