User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #1306
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Damn John John!

Damn thats some hardware there John! Looks like the Ole man saved the day there! for those who dont know, John types with his feet! So that means it is a bitch with the left leg out of commission. So I am sure it will take some time to get the RR going. Actually visited John today and he has a lot going on trying to get the help he needs from the Indian Health care system. What a f@%#ing mess for him. You would think a white, blue eyed guy would not have so much trouble! "Really I am an Indian!" Ok seriously, John is doing pretty good. The immobiality is killing him however.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #1307
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
ouch I itought the x-rays looked bad. Hang in there hope you get to feeling better soon.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #1308
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000rr View Post
ouch I itought the x-rays looked bad. Hang in there hope you get to feeling better soon.
That Venezuela trauma doctor did do a great job getting that tibia straightened back up.
He said he had to work on it quite a bit, 4 hours because he had to modify some hardware for me because I was special

Initial:

Post Op:

These are twelve screws from Latin America that where the worst

He said the fibula would be okay and heal up fine the way it was, being a non-weight bearing bone and all. This one sucks because it "clicks" sometimes that dosen't feel very nice. Come Monday morning I will get to see what the orthopedic doctor in Tulsa says, all my other doctor friends thought it would be fine, just waiting on good callus formation
Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #1309
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 438
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, damn photo hurts me just to look at it.

When I had my little get off in Costa Rica my left leg didn't hurt very bad, just my whole body felt like hell for about 3 weeks after. Doc said it was because I bruised my rib cage and lungs.

The worst part was being immobilized and not being able to get around as normal. That went away about a month after I got a walking shoe instead of a hard cast.

You'll be all better for the next part of this trip. I have money on it.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #1310
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Wow, geeeeeze John, that was a good one Hope the healing goes good for ya.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #1311
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Nicely done. They left the fibula as it is because the articular part was intact plus it helps tibia heal faster.
My best wishes. Get well soon.
Greetings from Greece.

P.S. I m an orthopaedic surgeon ;-)
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #1312
sraff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Wink What, you're not bulletproof !!!

Now I'm feeling bad. For the last three weeks I thought you were sitting on your couch at home, watching fireworks and sipping beers. And now I read this, I was starting to think you were bulletproof, you do have a habit of tipping
over. Enjoy the r&r with family and friends.
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #1313
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,005
Nice work! That will leave a mark. Why don't you head up here for a little R&R over Labour Day?

Hey Gregster, you still coming to the Soiree?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #1314
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791

wow, thats heavy. if you ever need a spare tire iron; you can always just dig that spare one you've got there out of your leg

get well soon brother man. remember: beer , weed, ample amounts masturbation and jalapeno nachos.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #1315
Doogle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I'm still counting on you at the ALARR. Another doctor is supposed to be there that could give you an in depth opinion.Ob/Gyn I think.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #1316
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
mmmm! be ready to do some explanation everytime you will go through airport security with that one!!!!

good luck and get well soon (and next time we meet I'll tell you how I went through 5 hospitals this week end to get stitches on my open skull after a mountain biking accident and the bribes needed to enventually get it done, so overall Venezuela probably isn't so bad!!!!)
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #1317
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
The worst part was being immobilized and not being able to get around as normal. That went away about a month after I got a walking shoe instead of a hard cast.

You'll be all better for the next part of this trip. I have money on it.
You hit the nail perfectly on the head, sucks to give up so much freedom. I've been in a walking boot the whole time since surgery and wondering if that will change or not, still hate the clicking of the fibula when I reposition my leg

I looking forward to walking again, I'm on extended 'break' from riding bikes for awhile Gives me lots of time to plan thou, I will be riding that bike out of VZ for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Wow, geeeeeze John, that was a good one Hope the healing goes good for ya.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story.
Hola Greg my old keg drinking amigo, fine memories on the Big Isle. I've met a whole bunch of great people on the trip
I still get a kick out of how I captured your green bike in Fredericton IIRC unknowingly before we met up in NF

Starting to get back in the mood of typing a little now. Glad to have you still following along, lots more coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapo View Post
Nicely done. They left the fibula as it is because the articular part was intact plus it helps tibia heal faster.
My best wishes. Get well soon.
Greetings from Greece.

P.S. I m an orthopaedic surgeon ;-)
ADV never seems to amaze me about all the interesting people here Thanks for information Doctor
What are your thoughts about the movement of the fibula 'rubbing' back and forth. Do you think that will cause a problem with healing and should it be immoblized, ie; a cast up to femur to keep me from causing the movement to the fibula from my normal activity with my walking boot on?

I can't wait to walk again, crutches suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraff View Post
Now I'm feeling bad. For the last three weeks I thought you were sitting on your couch at home, watching fireworks and sipping beers. And now I read this, I was starting to think you were bulletproof, you do have a habit of tipping
over. Enjoy the r&r with family and friends.
I wished I was, I had a good run of it but slipped up at the end when my head wasn't in the game all the way, I paid bigtime for it on this getoff I did however get to see a few left over fireworks on the drive up from DFW back to Oklahoma

As far as tipping over; Well if for sure can't be said that I don't push myself a little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Nice work! That will leave a mark. Why don't you head up here for a little R&R over Labour Day?
Chicks dig scars right??

This one's got a pretty decent story, the better part being all the ADV leading up to the stupid getoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

wow, thats heavy. if you ever need a spare tire iron; you can always just dig that spare one you've got there out of your leg

get well soon brother man. remember: beer , weed, ample amounts masturbation and jalapeno nachos.
Funny you are not the first to see the tire iron in there I will be keeping that one once they pull it back out sometime next year Think I might just zip tie it to the bike for a reminder and spare iron.

I'll pick a few out of the list and add hetrosexual sex and floating in the lake or river, and some good pizza. Damn I like me some nachos too.

Reminds me of a goofy joke: Guy walks up to a hot girl in a bar and asks nonchalantly; "Can I interest you in some pizza and sex?" As the pretty woman gives him a stange look, he replies directly "What you don't like pizza" It should be so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I'm still counting on you at the ALARR. Another doctor is supposed to be there that could give you an in depth opinion.Ob/Gyn I think.
It's going to be a little tricky, maybe if I sleep in the a/c'ed house and can find a couple hundred dollars worth of diesel fuel it might happen.

I'm not a doctor, but I'll take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
mmmm! be ready to do some explanation everytime you will go through airport security with that one!!!!

good luck and get well soon (and next time we meet I'll tell you how I went through 5 hospitals this week end to get stitches on my open skull after a mountain biking accident and the bribes needed to enventually get it done, so overall Venezuela probably isn't so bad!!!!)
Hola Mr, Y
Surprisingly I haven't had a problem yet, but we are talking about Venezuela here

Sorry to hear about your experience but look forward to visiting the next time we meet

BTW Venezuela was just fine thanks to all the great help from friends down there and my family

See you around amigo.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 04:55 AM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #1318
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
New avatar?

Good to see you kept your sense of humour through all this, the force is strong with you, young padawan!

BTW, I think you should make your avatar from that X-Ray, that would be one of the coolest in here for sure !
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #1319
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer View Post
Good to see you kept your sense of humour through all this, the force is strong with you, young padawan!

BTW, I think you should make your avatar from that X-Ray, that would be one of the coolest in here for sure !
Maybe I'd might make a better crusty old 'Grasshopper'

Which one do you think would fit me best

The break:

Or the Fix:

Or something a little more nasty:

Tough plane ride back home

This Buds for Me
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1320
matapo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Hello again.The movement of the fibula wont cause you any trouble.Sometimes if the bone doent heal we perfom
osteotomy of the fibula! I guess that you ll need 6 to 8 week with crutches(yes they suck).
The boot that you had in the hospital is fine.A cast up to femur will just add stiffness to your knee.
When is your next X-ray follow-up planned?
matapo is offline   Reply With Quote