ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Atlanta Parking

I'm going down to Atlanta for the IWF (International Woodworking Machinery & Furniture Supply Fair) on August 26-29th. I'll be staying at TWO up in Suches and riding down to the city on Thursday and Friday for the day...where to park the bike securely is my question. The convention is at The Georgia World Congress Center in downtown Atlanta. I was there two years ago, and when I was parking the bike in the onsite parking deck a security guard came along and basically told me not to, because there was a good chance the bike would be vandalized. Fortunately, he had me park in a no parking area right next to the ticket booth.

Anybody local have any ideas of where I could park for the day in that area of Atlanta? Is downtown Atlanta really that bad for bikes? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
I would think the GWCC decks are safe. When I have gone down there I have parked at some of the outer lots with my car. I would think you could park near an attendant or park at the hotel, just off the park. It has a Ruth Chris Steakhouse. I parked down there once. It was valet only, slipped them a couple dollars and they let me park there. It was fenced in and somewhat watched by the valets. I would think on you motorcycle they might let you park for free if you say you are eating there.

wxwax goes to that park to photograph what's going on there all the time on his GS. He is probably one of your best references.

Be forewarned that coming down and going back up 400 at rush hour is some of the city's worst traffic.

One other option would be to stop at the North Springs MARTA station. It has a direct exit off 400, before you get to 285, and park there. It is probably somewhat safer. It is in suburbia and MARTA police watch the area. Not quite as fast as riding if you do not have any traffic.

Let me know if you need something more specific, I can try and find the name of the hotel. I think during the day you would be safe in most areas.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,860
The hotel with the outdoor parking lot is the Embassy Suites. That's pretty close.

267 Marietta St/Centennial Park
Embassy Suites Hotel
Atlanta, GA 30313

I'm really surprised to hear that the guard warned you against bike vandalism. I park downtown frequently, on a side street, and have never had a problem. I should have thought that the parking decks were especially safe. If you need to, there are a bunch of outdoor pay parking lots across the street from Centennial Olympic Park. I've used them many times for sporting events that end at 10 or 11 at night, never once had a problem. Perhaps the guard knows something about his own parking deck, but I must admit that what you were told does not mesh with my experiences.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
sherpa OP
...Robert

Sounds like the guard was off the mark, which is good...thanks for the information guys...looks like my biggest problem willl be the traffic...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Sounds like the guard was off the mark, which is good...thanks for the information guys...looks like my biggest problem willl be the traffic...
You can see traffic updates here to get an idea of when it is at it's worse.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
sherpa OP
...Robert

Cool website patch...thanks

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW