Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #46
TravisThumb OP
Yeah, OK!

Oddometer: 23
To clear up a few details brought up by other members.

1) The bike was not overloaded. What I was carrying weighed less than a second rider (apprx 115lbs). It is a well know documented fact that the OEM shocks on the KLR are complete shit. I was just hoping, being a brand new bike, that the OEM shock would at least last me through the trip. I had plans on replacing it when I got home but the OEM shock didn't even last 1000 miles. I had to look for potholes to put my kickstand in. Ridiculous!

2) I spoke with the dealer at great lengths before deciding to purchase the new bike for the trip. I had every intention of riding my old KLR (and wish to hell I would have!) but my riding buddies convinced me that I was taking a huge gamble riding a 99' with 24k for a month straight and that it would be "safer" to have a brand new bike that I wouldn't have to worry about. When talking with the dealer, I asked him about the break in and they actually told me that they thought it might actually be healthier to ride it like this as long as I made sure to keep up with the oil changes along the way. Of course he probably just wanted to sell me a bike.

If they give me the same crap as the other guy about having dust....
I would totally have a melt down
TravisThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #47
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I would start with local BBB and Kawasaki USA. I've had two KLR's and currently have a 95 KLX650C and have never experienced any issues other than having to replace the automatic cam chain tensioner with a manual model. These engines are bulletproof or so I thought.

Jon
From everything I read the KLX motor was different then the KLR. I have never heard anything negative about the KLX650, which is one reason I'm looking to buy her back. Good points Jon.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #48
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbner
Your valves and piston rings never had a chance to seat. Add the stress of a long distance ride, heavily loaded and pop goes the motorbike.

A motor with 5700 miles on it, that's not burning oil and then suddenly starts is not suffering from break in problems.

Put down the

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #49
JeremyZ
^ Loves thumpers

Oddometer: 123
Another word about break-in...

A page or two back, someone posted that no one agrees on the proper break-in procedure.

By definition, the proper break-in procedure is what the manufacturer recommends. If you did anything else, and had major engine problems, they can point to your improper break-in procedure down the road.

I always thought it was a bit funny that some folks think they know more about motorcycle engines than the engineers who designed them. That is pretty arrogant, in my opinion.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Kawasaki should nip this in the bud. The bad word is spreading. They could fix the problem and reclaim a customer for only a few hundred of their dollars. They are being penny-wise, and pound foolish.

Changing gears a bit:

I read in the past somewhere (don't remember where) that Japanese people were polled on which motorcycle manufacturer's products were the highest quality. The results:

1) Honda
2) Yamaha (a close second)
3) Suzuki (a moderate third)
4) Kawasaki (a far distant fourth)
(Everyone else was not even in the ballpark)

I think after-the-sale support in cases like this can make or break a company's reputation.

I have to admit, even though I haven't had a bit of trouble with my new KLR, I'm starting to worry that if I do, Kawasaki is going to give me the bum's rush.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
A page or two back, someone posted that no one agrees on the proper break-in procedure.

By definition, the proper break-in procedure is what the manufacturer recommends.
Manufacturer recommends varying throttle, and to keep the motor under a certain RPM until 500 miles, then under a certain RPM until 1000 miles.

Where in this thread did the OP prove that he didn't follow Kawasaki's break in schedule?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #51
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ
I always thought it was a bit funny that some folks think they know more about motorcycle engines than the engineers who designed them. That is pretty arrogant, in my opinion.
I have actual idea how much mechanical experience you have, but from this statement you make I can tell you have little.

These are the same engineers that designed the doohicky. They also designed BMW final drives, and Honda's cracking Goldwing frames, and Triumphs burning out center cylinder, and Suzki's DR650 base gaskets, KTM's 950 waterpumps/fuel pumps/exhaust cams, and suzuki's DL1000 clutch chudder, and honda's xl650 dropping valve guides, and honda's st1300 high speed weave.

But it would be arrogant to say an engineer could be wrong.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #52
Karlonz
Alien underworld dude

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisThumb
....I was kicking the crap out of myself for not buying a better quality bike.
BTW - the other week my R1150GS Adventure final drive bearing went south VERY quickly, and nearly stranded me but managed to gently get her home...
Throwing more money away on a 'better quality bike' won't necessarily guarantee to get you through.

If your adament about breaking the engine in as per the Owners Manual (and conventional wisdom found in the KLR forums!), then it just may in fact be a case of pure bad luck....or even abuse of child labour laws in the assembly process. Hard to tell. What is clear is that the dealer you bought the bike from clearly didn't know what they were talking about when they gave no specific guidance on breaking-in the bike. Furthermore, the BS about fine dust doesn't cut it. If the air filter was the one supplied that it clearly wasn't installed correctly because it wasn't doing it's job. Hope things work out in the end.
Karlonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #53
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
To clear up a few details brought up by other members.

1) The bike was not overloaded. What I was carrying weighed less than a second rider (apprx 115lbs). It is a well know documented fact that the OEM shocks on the KLR are complete shit. I was just hoping, being a brand new bike, that the OEM shock would at least last me through the trip. I had plans on replacing it when I got home but the OEM shock didn't even last 1000 miles. I had to look for potholes to put my kickstand in. Ridiculous!

2) I spoke with the dealer at great lengths before deciding to purchase the new bike for the trip. I had every intention of riding my old KLR (and wish to hell I would have!) but my riding buddies convinced me that I was taking a huge gamble riding a 99' with 24k for a month straight and that it would be "safer" to have a brand new bike that I wouldn't have to worry about. When talking with the dealer, I asked him about the break in and they actually told me that they thought it might actually be healthier to ride it like this as long as I made sure to keep up with the oil changes along the way. Of course he probably just wanted to sell me a bike.

If they give me the same crap as the other guy about having dust....
I would totally have a melt down
This might make you feel better, my '08 is stone stock and has over 31,000 trouble free miles on it. The rear shock works just fine and the motor has never used a drop of oil at any speed.
RoberTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #54
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I have actual idea how much mechanical experience you have, but from this statement you make I can tell you have little.

These are the same engineers that designed the doohicky. They also designed BMW final drives, and Honda's cracking Goldwing frames, and Triumphs burning out center cylinder, and Suzki's DR650 base gaskets, KTM's 950 waterpumps/fuel pumps/exhaust cams, and suzuki's DL1000 clutch chudder, and honda's xl650 dropping valve guides, and honda's st1300 high speed weave.

But it would be arrogant to say an engineer could be wrong.
Good golly.....

Imagine, errors in engineering...

So sir, your bike designs and the bikes that resulted, any failures?

Did you design and engineer multi cylinder or single? Was your favorite a V design? Or do you prefer parallel?

Just curious. Your experience with failures not with standing of course....

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #55
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
Good golly.....

Imagine, errors in engineering...

So sir, your bike designs and the bikes that resulted, any failures?

Did you desing and engineer multi cylinder or single? Was your favorite a V design? Or do you prefer parallel?

Just curious. Your experience with failures not with standing of course....

What was your point again?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #56
Blackout
....doin' the math

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonz
....... What is clear is that the dealer you bought the bike from clearly didn't know what they were talking about when they gave no specific guidance on breaking-in the bike. Furthermore, the BS about fine dust doesn't cut it. If the air filter was the one supplied that it clearly wasn't installed correctly because it wasn't doing it's job. Hope things work out in the end.
Actually, if you go back and re-read the posts, this is my experience, not the OP (TravisT). I did the "proper" break-in, and met the same fate as TravisT (you be the judge). I agree with your position on the air filter, unfortunately the dealer and Kawasaki USA do not....

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #57
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
What was your point again?
I figured that with your store-house of knowledge of poor design, you must have been an engineer of motorcycles yourself. In order to have such insight as to the poor design.

Was I wrong?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #58
Blackout
....doin' the math

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonz
.... What is clear is that the dealer you bought the bike from clearly didn't know what they were talking about when they gave no specific guidance on breaking-in the bike. Furthermore, the BS about fine dust doesn't cut it. If the air filter was the one supplied that it clearly wasn't installed correctly because it wasn't doing it's job. Hope things work out in the end.

My bad, just re-read TravisT's post and apparently he was given the same break-in info as me. But, the fine dust thing was all me.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #59
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:

My insurance covered the $5500 tow bill to the nearest Kawasaki dealer in Whitehorse, Yukon
Say what?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #60
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,909
Travis,

Ask Rob1313 about his delightful experience with a new KLR.... two rebuilds later and still using oil.

Save the energy fighting the system and use it to plan another trip with a different bike. In the end you'll be happier.

BTW, don't let the internet morans get you down. The way you rode the bike didn't cause the problems.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote