Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #61
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
I figured that with your store-house of knowledge of poor design, you must have been an engineer of motorcycles yourself. In order to have such insight as to the poor design.

Was I wrong?
Wow, so I have to be an engineer to recognize poor design? Guess years of fixing those things isn't enough is it?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #62
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Wow, so I have to be an engineer to recognize poor design? Guess years of fixing those things isn't enough is it?
Negative, though it was said with more then a touch of sarcasm, I understand the frustration caused by less then ideal designs. And the list is quite long when it comes to parts used in a design. It is even worst when you paid alot for something that doesn't seem to perform as advertised.

HOWEVER, crap happens.

And this instance ruined a trip that may only be a once in a lifetime thing. That makes it even worst.

I hope like others here, that the OP gets a fair settlement on this whole issue. I am not a mechanic, nor an engineer, but it does sound hinky from what was told.

Good luck to ya dude.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #63
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,848
you two should get a room and quit hijacking this thread...
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #64
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
HOWEVER, crap happens.
Exactly, that's been my point. There seem to be a lot of people around here that are jumping on the "it's operator error" bandwagon. Lot's of "my bike has XXXX miles and it's never even burned out a bulb . "

The fact that many KLR's burn oil is a well documented issue. That the '08's and later seem to do it well in excess of the earlier models seems plainly apparent as well. This guys trip just got shit on, and now there are these ninnies shitting on him as well saying "it's you're fault you didn't break it in correctly". It's a load of and .

They're just hoping same catastrophic ailment doesn't afflict their KLR's and are making themselves feel good by blaming the OP.

Every manufacturer has it's mechanical design flaws and to deny they exist is to have ones head in the sand.

Boon Booni screwed with this post 08-14-2009 at 09:32 PM
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #65
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Sorry, I was feeling a bit, argumentative, and jumped...

I'll behave now, really...

Sorry Gramps. Churlish of me.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #66
Blackout
....doin' the math

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #67
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Sorry, I was feeling a bit, argumentative, and jumped...

I'll behave now, really...

Sorry Gramps. Churlish of me.

I feel like the OP needs to be stood up for.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #68
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Note to self: When motorcycle takes a giant shit in the middle of nowhere, light a match.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #69
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout
Just took my '09 to the shop last week for this EXACT same problem!! Purchased the bike 3 months ago and never used a drop of oil....until 3,000 miles. Took off on a five day trip. Topped off air pressure and oil before I left. Stop for gas ~200 miles later. Just happen to check the oil....nothing in the sight glass. It was over a quart low in 200 miles!! Run for the next 3-4 days on dirt below 40 miles per hour and didn't lose a drop of oil. Get back on the slab to head for home and go through about of quart every fuel up. By time I got home I couldn't make it 60 miles without adding a quart!!

....so no, it's not the drain plug!

of course the guy doing the paperwork at the dealer gives me the whole "well, on something like this it's hard to quote a price". Quote a price?! That's when I went off on him about riding it off the showroom floor 3 months prior and that it had better be covered by the warranty! From what I've heard elsewhere I fully expect to get screwed, but I will keep you all posted and let you know what they find and how it turns out. More later......
CAn anyone post pictures of what the jug and rings look like after it is disassembled? The only thing I have seen oil burned sooo fast is broken rings.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #70
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Just posted this on KLR650.net:

[rant]

Holy *$#!@! shit!! I just got off the phone with the dealer. They told be the reason that my KLR is burning so much oil is that some "fine dust" made it past the air filter and got into the cylinder and that this is not covered under warranty (i.e., it's my fault!)! Seriously, they sell this bike as a dualsport bike (implying it is offroad capable) and yet they put a filter on it that can't keep dust out?!! It's freakin' 3 months old!!! Now they want to charge me $300 just to tell me what's WRONG with it!! Of course I'm getting the same run-around as everyone else "You can call Kawasaki and see if they will work with you blah blah blah......".

Why is it that we have to do all the work on these freakin issues. They sold the bike, they KNOW there are issues, THEY should have to talk to Kawasaki, not all the individual buyers.

So now, we are required to not only check the oil every 100 miles, but apparently we must also clean/change the air filter every 100 miles (or more appropriately, realize when the "dust" we are riding on is too small to be kept out of the air intake)!! I was brand-loyal until this little incident, now I think it is time to start exploring other options. Having to dump another $1000 into a 3 month old bike?? For something that would appear to be a design flaw and should be covered under warranty?? I would hope that I'm not the only one that has taken this bike offroad. Are we seriously supposed to stop at the end of the pavement now and say "oooohhh, better not ride on that dirt road, the dust looks a little too fine..."

As much as I have loved this bike until this point, I just can't get behind a company that considers these issues normal, or the fault of the purchaser.

My .02

[/rant off]
WOW!!!!! That's all i got - sorry about your probs Blackout!
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #71
Blackout
....doin' the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTirePlease
WOW!!!!! That's all i got - sorry about your probs Blackout!
I think it's Kawasaki's way of telling me I had too much fun at TTT!!!

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #72
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Laugh

This thread is funny. The guy posts the dealers 1st comment and then comes 99 posts acting like the world has ended. Ask to speak to the zone rep, failing that talk to kwakasaki cs - spend your energy there. After all it's not as if there isn't an admitted ring issue on these bikes.

Out of curiosity how often did you clean the air filter or even check it? frequent cleaning even if the exterior isn't awful can show issues with dirt getting past the filter.

As said, in this case correct breakin is whatever is in owners manual, I guarantee it's detailed there so why ask dealer?

Also don't agree that 3000 miles without burning means all is well. If you'd not done any sustained freeway till then .... And all of a sudden starts burning oil at sustained 80. Realistically most of the breakin is done in first 100 miles, if you varied the rpms good if you went right onto the freeway bad
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #73
E-town
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Garbage on Kawi's part

While I don't think a long trip on a new bike is a good idea, the response from the dealer is total crap. There is no way dust that got past a foam filter could destroy a (properly manufactured) engine in such a short period of time. I couldn't count the number of bikes running around Afghanistan in some of the worst dust I've ever seen, and these guys aren't big on maintenance.

Find a better dealer.
E-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #74
Karlonz
Alien underworld dude

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Actually, if you go back and re-read the posts, this is my experience, not the OP (TravisT). I did the "proper" break-in, and met the same fate as TravisT (you be the judge). I agree with your position on the air filter, unfortunately the dealer and Kawasaki USA do not....
Righto. I am aware that the late '08 and up KLRs use different rings which seems to have abated most of the oil consumptions issues.Speaking for myself, I bought a late (built Sep' 08) KLR and haven't had any oil burning issues- currently at 13.5k kms. I've had it in for two recalls - for my vin range-one for the exhaust hanger bolt, and the other for the wiring harness. No other issues, nor issues with anyone else I know with 08 and 09 KLRs.

Did Kawasaki USA or the dealer enlighten you with how to keep fine dust out of the engine? There is a note in he owners manual the states if dust gets in your engine it's toast. However, the service schedule indicates cleaning/replacement interval every 2 years??? I see your point. Something stinks. It sounds like you may have good case for returning this because it's not fit for purpose it was intended (dual sport bike). Good luck on the outcome.
Karlonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #75
Blackout
....doin' the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonz

Did Kawasaki USA or the dealer enlighten you with how to keep fine dust out of the engine? There is a note in he owners manual the states if dust gets in your engine it's toast. However, the service schedule indicates cleaning/replacement interval every 2 years??? I see your point. Something stinks. It sounds like you may have good case for returning this because it's not fit for purpose it was intended (dual sport bike). Good luck on the outcome.
Well that's just it, the manual says clean every 7500 miles and replace every 2 years. I understand that in more adverse conditions you have to be more diligent in cleaning the filter, but that definitely leaves it very open for Kawasaki to say it was simply neglect no matter how often i checked/cleaned the filter. "Oh, you checked/cleaned it every 1000 miles (as opposed to the factory suggested 7500), well obviously you should have checked and cleaned it after 500 miles instead." That is easy to say after the fact (as many on this board are doing), but how many people check and clean their air filter every 500 miles? I have been to 4 group rides this summer, each 3-5 days in length with most riders putting in 500-1000 miles and I never once saw anyone check or clean their air filters. And as far as I know, everyone still has a properly functioning bike (except for me). Like E-town said, when I was in the desert we were running vehicles in a lot worse conditions than I have been riding in with a lot less maintenance and never had this issue.

Funny thing is, the dealer hasn't even pulled the top end yet to see if that is actually the cause. Could be like other '09's and have the warped cylinder or ring issue......