Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 AM   #76
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
5500.00 bucks to tow a bike, gawd damn I need to get a tow truck and a few buddies to break down, we can split the money's and live pretty damn good with 20 tows a year.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #77
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,458
Dealers say amazingly clueless things all the time. You seem to have a lot of faith in them. Might want to find a different one. I'm amazed at 7500 mile clean interval for the air filter but if that's what it says. Tell them you want clarification that there diagnosis is going to be under warranty and if they continue insist on speaking to their K zone rep.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #78
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
From everything I read the KLX motor was different then the KLR. I have never heard anything negative about the KLX650, which is one reason I'm looking to buy her back. Good points Jon.
The only difference between a KLR650 motor and KLX650C (Dual Sport Model) are the cams and carb which is tuned for more low end and slightly more mid range although at the expense of some top end to the KLR motor. The KLX650C motor does not have chain driven counterbalancers with the Doohickey either as the KLX incorporates a gear driven counterbalancer.

The outer motor casing is identical other than some cosmetics. Obviously, the frame and suspension is completely different.

Jon

VStromNC screwed with this post 08-15-2009 at 08:58 AM
VStromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #79
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Breakin in eh?

I met 2 guys working offshore for some time, when they got home they both both a yammi R1, rode it without a plate, and as if it was the final lap in a motoGP race.

------------

Dont where i stand around the whole breaking in thing, bot im sure its overrated, just dont know how much.

My brothers ninja 250r rode 150km from the dealer, with more rpm than the servicemanual said, the dealer told us that it was no problem.

It dont use oil, and run 20km/ltr...

I'm sure all theese bikes are just waiting to blow up

The dealer has, to our knowlegde, not even mentioned the failure beeing to not brakin it in, so why are you guys so hooked on that "issue"? They should know, right, thats what you say =)
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #80
Blackout
....doin' the math

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Dealers say amazingly clueless things all the time. You seem to have a lot of faith in them. Might want to find a different one. I'm amazed at 7500 mile clean interval for the air filter but if that's what it says. Tell them you want clarification that there diagnosis is going to be under warranty and if they continue insist on speaking to their K zone rep.
It's not that I have ANY faith in them, it's just that my hands are tied if I want any chance of getting it covered under warranty. In my case, they flat out told me that the tear-down to find out what is wrong with it would be charged to me. The only way I wouldn't have to pay is if they get in there and find out that the oil consumption is actually due to something like a warped cylinder (like on other KLR's) instead of the ingestion problem they are currently blaming it on.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #81
Karlonz
Alien underworld dude

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout
It's not that I have ANY faith in them, it's just that my hands are tied if I want any chance of getting it covered under warranty. In my case, they flat out told me that the tear-down to find out what is wrong with it would be charged to me. The only way I wouldn't have to pay is if they get in there and find out that the oil consumption is actually due to something like a warped cylinder (like on other KLR's) instead of the ingestion problem they are currently blaming it on.

You can typically do your own maintenance, as per service schedule, and still be covered under the factory warranty. However, if something goes wrong then it is they who would have to show that what you did or didn't do - that would be different to what the dealer shop would have done - directly caused this to happen. There is precedence on this. For all anyone knows, the dust could have ingressed through a poorly fitted airbox or split intake manifold, rather than the air filter.

One thought that comes to mind is that the air filter may not have been saturated with oil (which would/should have caught the fine dust). I'm heading out to the garage to check mine now! Not sure if they are meant to be oiled though, so just speculation. Anyone know if they should be oiled? Just checked on the web and here's one take on it. Factory service manual says it's supposed to be oiled as well.

Sound's like the dealers are concerned enough to feed you BS and point fingers, knowing full well that you've a case. Have you saught any sort of legal advice on this yet?
Karlonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #82
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Sorry to hear about your ruined trip. I spent 2 years planning for an Alaska trip and had to turn around at Whitehorse last summer because of an emergency at home, so I understand your disappointment some. We would all like the kind of adventure that we can write a great ride report about or even make a movie of it but the fact is, if the outcome of the adventure is known then it's not much of an adventure. I encourage you to give us a report of your experiences.

When I first read your post, the first thing that came to my mind was "you took off to Alaska on a new bike???!!!". No matter what bike you choose, they all require a lot of preparation for such a trip. Not just engine break-in but you should have thousands of miles knowing your bike and it's systems.

Please keep us informed and thanks for sharing.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #83
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonz

One thought that comes to mind is that the air filter may not have been saturated with oil (which would/should have caught the fine dust). I'm heading out to the garage to check mine now! Not sure if they are meant to be oiled though, so just speculation. Anyone know if they should be oiled? Just checked on the web and here's one take on it. Factory service manual says it's supposed to be oiled as well.
KLR air filter is not meant to be oiled

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #84
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Huh?

A foam air filter that is NOT supposed to be oiled? Goes against everything I've ever known!
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #85
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Look up the Magnuson Ware Act. And get an attorney.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #86
Blackout
....doin' the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
KLR air filter is not meant to be oiled
According to the owners manual it IS supposed to be oiled (after cleaning with a high flashpoint solvent).

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Anonymous
Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #87
Blackout
....doin' the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonz
You can typically do your own maintenance, as per service schedule, and still be covered under the factory warranty.
Correct, for scheduled maintenance items only. But since they wanted to charge me to take the top end off to find out what was wrong I told them I was going to do it myself and have the cylinder checked by a third party to see if it was warped. They said if I did this myself that it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #88
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
????

May we have the name of this wonderful dealership so as to make them adv famous for all the wrong reasons?
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #89
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
Break in

Sorry for this latest hijack, but last weekend when I bought my KLR I asked the salesman what the breakin procedure was. He wasn't sure but said I could find it in the Owner's Manual. I thought this was a reasonable answer -who's going to memorize the breaking procedure for every engine of every brand in a dealership? So, while I was sitting around waiting for the final assembly inspection and other paperwork to be completed I read:

No more than 4000rpm for the first 500 miles.
No more than 6000rpm for the next 500 miles.

Nothing about varying the rpm, but geez, who's gonna stick it at 4000rpm all the time? I'm ~40 miles away from 6000rpm!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #90
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Break-in procedures are bs. I had a 02' DRZ 400s that I beat the fuck out of from day one. Never a problem and she's running like a champ. Cousin still has it. Maybe it's the manufacturer. What are the chances all the owners did something wrong. I would think that a coincidence like that would be impossile. Regardless, I feel bad for all the people who fell victim to this mechanical gremlin. I would be fumed!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote