Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #91
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I would think "lugging" any four stroke at it's cherry popping stage would put too much load on cam chains and other mechanical parts....like starting off in third.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #92
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
KLR air filter is not meant to be oiled

Oly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #93
ManitouMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Sorry bout your problem. I have 2 08's and neither one has used a drop of oil. As far as break-in all new motors are factory run-in. The manual is written by lawyers so folks won't hop on their first bike and get in over their heads. Demo's aren't broken in by the manual, at least the ones I ride, and a most if not all new auto's do not have a break-in. I run mine up and down through the rpm range under slight load up and down hills (no lugging) for 50 miles, come home change the oil and ride the piss out of them. Never have I had an engine go on me, 20+ bikes, but if one or both of my bikes lost the top end I would just put on a 685 or 705 kit.

Losing a qt of oil in 100 miles should be noticeable, very noticeable if it was burned. A leak would show up on the underside or if filler cap was off all over you. Very strange. Kawasaki should make it right, but not sure you are gonna get your money's worth through the courts. Principle matters to a point, but a $5000 bike that can be rebuilt better for $500 (685 kit) is what the real point is. My attorney charges me $250 just to have a little chat about real estate. So if that is the battle you want to fight so-be-it. Me I'm all over a 685 kit. Good luck on whatever you decide.
ManitouMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #94
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I agree with the break-in not being as critical some people think. All you really have to do is take it easy for a few hundred miles. I really doubt the OP caused the bike to burn oil. If the bike is that fragile, something isn't right. A bike should be able to handle being ridden.
Kawasaki really is getting a bad rep for the way they're handling situations like this. I wonder how many KLRs they'd sell if Honda would bring back the NX650 or transalp to the U.S. market.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #95
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
. I really doubt the OP caused the bike to burn oil. If the bike is that fragile, something isn't right. A bike should be able to handle being ridden.
Sounds like the OP's bike was performing fine up until about 5000 miles.
Something happened to his engine. The only thing I know to cause that much oil loss in a KLR other than a leak would be a warped cylinder. The most common way to warp the cylinder is to overheat the engine. I would suspect the OP accidentally overheated the engine. I overheated the engine on my 06', it went from not using a drop... to a quart every 300 miles, I noticed after I lost a quart, the engine still ran perfectly, I was probably lucky I didn't run it lower and seize it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
Kawasaki really is getting a bad rep for the way they're handling situations like this. I wonder how many KLRs they'd sell if Honda would bring back the NX650 or transalp to the U.S. market.
Kawasaki will likely fix the OP's bike but being in another country far from home probably complicates the issue.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #96
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
"Kawasaki will likely fix the OP's bike but being in another country far from home probably complicates the issue."

I can tell you from personal experience that Kawasaki Canada and Kawasaki USA might as well be from different planets. I had an '08 with a wiring problem and my riding buddy had a oil burning '08 (burned up the top end much as described) in Quebec, Canada last year while on the Trans Labrador Highway.

My bike was diagnosed and fixed with two hour of Canadian Kawasaki labor and I had to seek reimbursement from Kawasaki USA when I got home. My buddy's '08 was disassembled (four hours labor????!!!!), not fixed, transported home in a U-Haul/$1500.00, and he was only reimbursed for half of the amount he paid.......what a rip off.

And contrary to what some of the people on this thread think..........the '08-'09 KLR650 has some serious oil burning/wiring problems/quality control problems on many (not all) of the bikes and Kawasaki has been no real help with a step forward and make it right attitude. I sold the '08 and currently own a '99 which does not burn oil or rub the wiring raw/short.

I would not have left on a big trip with an un-prepped bike with only 90 miles..........ours were prepped (one had 7700 miles and the other about 4500 miles) and we have been on many previous long distance trips and never had problems like the two '08 KLRs presented.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #97
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
One Happy Camper!

After getting tired of waiting for Kawasaki to bring out the NEW 2008 KLR, I purchased a 2007 DR650 brand new in March,2007. 21k miles later, with absolutely NO problems, I can say I think I made the right choice!!!!
FatTirePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #98
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Overheating! W.T.F.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot
Sounds like the OP's bike was performing fine up until about 5000 miles.
Something happened to his engine. The only thing I know to cause that much oil loss in a KLR other than a leak would be a warped cylinder. The most common way to warp the cylinder is to overheat the engine. I would suspect the OP accidentally overheated the engine. I overheated the engine on my 06', it went from not using a drop... to a quart every 300 miles, I noticed after I lost a quart, the engine still ran perfectly, I was probably lucky I didn't run it lower and seize it up.

Kawasaki will likely fix the OP's bike but being in another country far from home probably complicates the issue.
It's a liquid cooled bike for Christsakes!
I've beaten the merciless crap out of oil/air cooled DR650s (a 91 with the old iron liner and a 97 with the new nikasil) and never warped a thing AND saw a combined mileage between the two of almost 100,000 miles.

Sounds more like Kawis should be yellow and not green!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #99
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
You guys are all jumping the gun. ANY shop. and I mean ANY shop is going to charge you to tear down an engine and find out what's wrong with it.

IF it ends up being covered by warranty once they are there then great.
If not then you get the bill. Anywhere.

I would be taking issue with their assertion that dust ingestion would not be covered. IF the manual says 7500 and it crapped out at 5 and the only person that ever touched it was the dealer then in my book either the dealer or the MFR didn't install it correctly.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #100
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
You guys are all jumping the gun. ANY shop. and I mean ANY shop is going to charge you to tear down an engine and find out what's wrong with it.

IF it ends up being covered by warranty once they are there then great.
If not then you get the bill. Anywhere.

I would be taking issue with their assertion that dust ingestion would not be covered. IF the manual says 7500 and it crapped out at 5 and the only person that ever touched it was the dealer then in my book either the dealer or the MFR didn't install it correctly.
I agree with you about jumping the gun, however here is one of my issues- I work at an automotive dealership. If a customer comes in with these same issues, (baring the drain plug missing or fresh Paris/Dakar stickers pasted all over) the darn thing is covered by warranty. There is no finger pointing at the customer first and pissing them off immediately!
I have to wonder what they would have said if somebody would have had the gall to put on an aftermarket air filter! Heaven forbid!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #101
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTirePlease
I agree with you about jumping the gun, however here is one of my issues- I work at an automotive dealership. If a customer comes in with these same issues, (baring the drain plug missing or fresh Paris/Dakar stickers pasted all over) the darn thing is covered by warranty. There is no finger pointing at the customer first and pissing them off immediately!
I have to wonder what they would have said if somebody would have had the gall to put on an aftermarket air filter! Heaven forbid!

Kinda going at my point as well. It's not a big deal if they tell you"if it's something weird we're going to charge you." That would be normal.

When the dealer says "we think it ate dirt and it's going to be your fault so prepare yourself" that's a problem and I'd be not very nice in my reply, but that's me.

I have a friend with a new XRL. he did a similar thinn bought it new to avoid problems on a trip to Baja. from frisco to LA it was smoking a little and burning oil. He asked the dealer who said "that's normal"

Distrusting that, he asked a second dealer who said the same thing.

we put oil in it every day, checked the level religiously. At the end of the trip it blows up and the dealer says it was run without oil and not covered.

How are two laymen supposed to know how much smoke is 'too much' when the dealer tells you "oh don't worry they all do that"

If it were me I'd have been raising hell asking them why they think oil got past the ring in the first place.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #102
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
It sounds like cost cutting at the factory is going to cost Honda AND Kawasaki their product line.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #103
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTirePlease
Familier with the issues when the Mitsubishi Evolution was finally brought to the US? Most of them were beat to hell right off the bat and had all kinds of issues. Mitsubishi tried denying most of the claims. Subaru gave SCCA memberships to people who bought the WRX. Sounds like Kawasaki is trying to be Mitsubishi instead of Subaru, which is a stupid move. Mitsubishi almost went bankrupt, Subaru and Porsche were the only two brands in the black thoughout the whole recession.

I only quoted you as you know what I'm talking about, and it sounds like you have a decent employer. I'm a Kawasaki fanboi, and this is disheartening to me. :( they need to step up and realize it will only help, not hurt, future sales by standing behind the consumer. Too many lawyers, and too many accountants.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #104
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Hell just file a $5K small claims suit against Kawasaki USA. Cost $75.00 and once they get the papers their attention level will rise quite a few notches.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #105
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Customer Base

Yep, exactly. I can't understand the thinking. (especially in current economic times) to try to lose your customer loyalty base. Don't everyone get me wrong and think i (was) not a Kawasaki fan - before the DR my last 5 new bikes were all Kawasaki's. 95 GPZ 1100, 96 KDX200, 2 KX250's , 2003 Z1000. If this treatment of their customers continues , I will never be back! Just my $.02.