User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #46
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I agree 100%.
From a Foreigner point of view, Guatemala was one of the best surprises we had throughout the whole adventure - from New York to Brazil.
El Remate, Lake Petén itza, Tikal, the gravel road from Melchor de Mencos to El Remate (not sure if they have finished paving it) were just fantastic !!!!
From El Remate, you can ride down to Rio Dulce, then cross the country on CA-09, from east to west, to Guate City and Antigua.

We will never forget Guatemala.

Have Fun !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureplanet
we recomend El Remate, Peten, its a beutiful low profile place with spanish schools, good moto rides around and right in the border with the Mayan Biosphere. not only you will be inmerse in a local culture but also will have the chance to explore Tikal, Huaxactun, yaxha, and other nice arqueological sites... Antigua is a must place to visit but forget about learning and using spanish. Antigua even do is a beutiful place has lost its own identity and has become the central american capital of illegal inmigration from north america and europe its like trying to go and learn english in east L.A.

saludos
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #47
SingleMalt
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Does anyone know of a shipping company from Guatemala back to the states? I want to ride from Colorado down to Guatemala, and keep traveling from there but not on the bike. Or maybe some secure storage?
SingleMalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #48
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
For those riding Guatemala, I highly recommend staying at the Hotel El Sol in Panajachel. The wonderful Japanese family love motorcyclists, have secure parking, aguas thermales and will cool you cheap and great Japanese food in house.

I left my motorcycle in their garage, and my gear inside the hotel, or three days of visiting San Pedro. Then, I borrowed a bicycle to get around town today, free of charge. I love it there.

Hotel El Sol is at the edge of Pana, on the road to Santa Caterina.

I also stayed for three nights at the Hotel San Fransisco, in San Pedro. No frills at all, but I had a rooftop bachelor pad with bano privado, hot water, private deck with 180-degree lake view, hammock, etc. price: Q20 per night, roughly $2.50.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #49
lunachick
lurking since 03-01-2003

Oddometer: 15
storage in Guatemala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt
Does anyone know of a shipping company from Guatemala back to the states? I want to ride from Colorado down to Guatemala, and keep traveling from there but not on the bike. Or maybe some secure storage?
we can storage your bike in Guatemala city or help you send your bike back to the states contact us at www.adventureplanetgt.com
Old 12-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #50
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Currently in Flores.

Due to the gnarliness of GT 7W and 5N between Huehuetenango --> Coban --> Flores, I'd rather not return that way. Done it. Fun. Let's try something new.

Any sugggestions about best way to Mexico from Peten/Tikal area?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #51
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
Currently in Flores.
Any sugggestions about best way to Mexico from Peten/Tikal area?
Hola, I'd try the El Ceibo/El Naranjo exit 3 hours west of Flores. I plan on entering Guate that way in mid-January. However, there currently is no vehicle services, just immigration, and I'm not sure if there is a problem with not cancelling your permit from Guatemala, as there is with Mexico.

To enter Guate there, you must either chance it with no bike permit, or drive to Menchor and the border with Belize to obtain one. Which is what I probably will do...it's about an hour and a half east of Flores, and will save me the route through Huehue/Guatemala City from Chiapas to reach my village in the Rio Dulce area.

Maybe we will get lucky and Guate will open vehicle services soon. Here's the link for the discussion on El Ceibo: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422517

Saludos, Eduardo

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #52
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Thank you for that info, Eduardo! That is very helpful.

EDIT: Origina Q was:
Is El Ceibo the same port as Frontera Corozal? That was the only crossing area west of there that I found.

I learned that they are different. Frontera Corozal seems closer to Flores, but I don't know which is the best equipped port of entry/exit.

Since Guate doesn't require financial leashes the way Mexico does, I don't think that I need to do anything to close my paperwork out. I still have my active Mexico TVIP, so I don't need more than migracion. I hope.

Just stunning on Lago Peten Itza, these days. I am having Jetboil coffee on the patio over the lake, paired with fresh pan de banano. It all certainly could be worse.

bouldergeek screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 05:38 AM
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #53
adventureplanet OP
Beto

Oddometer: 42
crossing the border in peten

Best and safest place to cross the border to Mexico is via Melchor de Mencos,
if cominf from flores or any place around the lake head tour Ixhlu, next to el remate. thats your intersection point.
crossing the border should be quite easy. border closes at 6 PM. Belize will require you to buy Belizean insurance right in the border.
try to cross the boerder early, the make some time to visit montanas mayas...have lunch at Blancaniux resort owned by Francis ford coppola, quite impresive place in the middle of a beutiful forest. if youdecide to go straight for mexico you can do it in about 4 hrs

have fun

P.D.
Do not tell anyone when are you planning to depart from peten itza to the border for safety reasons
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
If you want to get out of the cities, San Pedro de la Laguna, on Lake Atitlan, has language classes dirt cheap, and is a much smaller town, in a spectacularly beautiful setting.
I'd like to spend a week or two in an immersion program and Guatemala looks like the cheapest. I don't want to be in a large city or an area that's too touristy. Ideally I'd spend the entire time without hearing another American accent. San Pedro la Laguna keeps coming up as recommended.

Can anyone recommend a school? My current Spanish level is probably intermediate and most of the schools I've found are targeted towards beginners. I want it to be one-on-one with a teacher with a flexible curriculum focused mainly on conversation.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #55
The Rocket Man
Rebel Saint

Oddometer: 9
Canadian going from Yukon to TDF

Hi
i am riding the southern route Pacific route to Guatemala. I read your advise not to try Lago de Atitlan area. thanks that was where I was headed, not now.I have been traveling from The Arctic Circle, Yukon Canada since September 2009 going to Argentina. I am riding solo and I am a little nervous about riding Guatemala. In Puerto Vallarta I met with Motoclub 69 Ovejas Negras. They were very good to me. I spent a week there and attended their first convention as a guest. They gave me their flag to plant at the end of the road in TDF. I would like any advise you can give me. I am still planning my route but I feel like a babe in the woods. If you can give some advise on what route to take or get me in touch with the Biker Knights I would appreciate it. Check out Motoclub 69 Ovejas Negras at soybiker.com I am in Puerto Escondido right now on the Pacific Coast. route Mexico 200.

Cheers

The Rocket Man

The Rocket Man screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 04:12 PM
The Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #56
adventureplanet OP
Beto

Oddometer: 42
Answer to the rocket Man

Hi rocket man:
I am a member of the Biker knights in Guatemala, and will be glad to assist you in any way we can while visitin Guate.
if your present location is Pt escondido. cross the border via tapachula, then take the road tha goes along the pacic side of Guatemala via retalhuleu, mazatenango, escuintla, the antigua.... www.adventureplanetgt.com
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #57
Quetzal
Guatemalan Import

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo
Hola, I'd try the El Ceibo/El Naranjo exit 3 hours west of Flores. I plan on entering Guate that way in mid-January. However, there currently is no vehicle services, just immigration, and I'm not sure if there is a problem with not cancelling your permit from Guatemala, as there is with Mexico.

To enter Guate there, you must either chance it with no bike permit, or drive to Menchor and the border with Belize to obtain one. Which is what I probably will do...it's about an hour and a half east of Flores, and will save me the route through Huehue/Guatemala City from Chiapas to reach my village in the Rio Dulce area.

Maybe we will get lucky and Guate will open vehicle services soon. Here's the link for the discussion on El Ceibo: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422517

Saludos, Eduardo
As far as I know, they just opened that border crossing with all services included. Both presidents met there and made a big inauguration event.

I´ll let you guys know when I find out more....

BMW R1200GS
BMW R1100S

Visit www.motoaventuras.net

'A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.' - Lao Tzu
Quetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 AM   #58
jayseeme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Arriving Melchor de Mencos

Folks,
I'm arriving soon via Belize to Guatamala via Melchor de Mencos. My plan is to leave the bike in Lake Atitlan area with my friend for short a a few months or less. Does Guatamala have a Temporary Import Permit for tourists? How long can I leave the Moto without paying duty? I plan on flying out Guatamala city and returning same. I'm told the Aduana offials might stamp my passport and I might have trouble leaving by air if I have not paid duty for my moto? I am only a tourist and US citizen. Please advise. Thanks for your help. I can be reached at jkcapp@gmail.com or reply here or PM. I'm riding a Honda XR650L.
Best,
jc

jayseeme screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 03:01 AM
jayseeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #59
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
The Guatemala TVIP costs 40 Quetzales (5 dollars US) and is good for 90 days.

Your other question about if you can leave the country and return without your vehicle I do not know, but am interested in that myself.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #60
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseeme
Folks,
I'm arriving soon via Belize to Guatamala via Melchor de Mencos. My plan is to leave the bike in Lake Atitlan area with my friend for short a a few months or less.
I can't answer your question, but I'm flying into Guatemala in late January for a week of spanish classes and San Pedro Laguna is high on my list of choices. If your friend knows of any place to rent a bike near Lake Atitlan I'd love to hear about it. I'll be alone and doing short excursions in the afternoons, so a small bike would be fine.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote