Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne
The challenge is to find one small enough to fit on a pannier. The RV ones seem to be 20" wide. Awhile back someone did a custom run for the folks on the chain gang (f650.com), but I don't think he ever made another batch.

Here is a picture of a swell one you can't get.
These are like the ones made for the Chain Gang. The remaining few extras were sent to Happy Trails to be sold. I think they had four sets left when I ordered mine a little over a year ago. Might be worth Googling up HT and giving them a phone call to check. Hold on to your wallet, though - about $45 for the set because its all Scotchlite reflective material.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
These are like the ones made for the Chain Gang. The remaining few extras were sent to Happy Trails to be sold. I think they had four sets left when I ordered mine a little over a year ago. Might be worth Googling up HT and giving them a phone call to check. Hold on to your wallet, though - about $45 for the set because its all Scotchlite reflective material.
They were $40 when they had them, but they are now sold out...

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for to go on the back of my rig! And in reflective even...

The search continues...

I have been thinking about having a sign shop make up the outline in black reflective, and the states in white/silver reflective to go on the back of the red sidecar. That would leave a set in the opposite color scheme to use elsewhere or for someone else.
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
If the person who did the original group buy doesn't want to do another run, perhaps he would be willing to send the graphics files to myself or someone else who would be willing to do the work of putting it all together?

Maybe HT would be interested in making up a batch and offering them up for sale?

Just thowing out thoughts here....
2002 BMW R1150RA
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #19
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
The guy that did the original run of stickers for the Chain Gang may be willing to do another run if a big enough order is put in. Previously that number was minimum of 10 with a price of either $40 or $45 each.

His screen name on f650.com is Checkers , but he hasn't posted since back around May. He is a member of the Idaho BMW Riders, and I believe his first name is Steve.

If anyone wants to take on a group buy, you may be able to track him down through the Chain Gang or Idaho BMW Riders club. http://www.idahobmwriders.com/index.html

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
I love mine that's on my helmet, it's a standard vinyl sticker with add on vinyl state stickers about 6.25" x 4"

I can make some of these if anyone is interested. I don't have any reflective vinyl right now, but working on getting more vinyl options.

ReactorTrip screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 09:18 PM
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #21
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip
I love mine that's on my helmet, it's a standard vinyl sticker with add on vinyl state stickers about 6.25" x 4"

I can make some of these if anyone is interested. I don't have any reflective vinyl right now, but working on getting more vinyl options.
Be careful about offering to make stuff around here. For a number of people it's become either a headache or a business.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #22
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
There is someone who was offering them in the Vendors section here, in Reflective, I think. They were pretty crazy expensive (IMO), but if $45 seems reasonable to you they might not be too bad.

Edit: here's the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=sticker

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #23
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

good reflective vinyl is crazy expensive, so I can see why that guy would do that. It is also a pain in the butt to weed these things, so it takes a lot of time to make one set so the guy is trying to recoup that.

Mine is just a border as seen below. Some of the states can't be seen with the thickness of the border I chose on the map, but I made this more for me than I did for commercial sales. They all have colored version that are visible, well maybe not the dot that is RI. I can also adjust the size, but I only do the 48 right now. Probably couldn't go any smaller than the one I made for my helmet though. RI is crazy small in that size.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Air_Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Camping World

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...d&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Air_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Bob
Camping World
I think most of us are familiar with those kind of sets Bob, but they are a bit large at 20" x 14" to fit easily even on the back of a sidecar, much less a saddlebag.

And then if you do like I did when I was living in an RV for a few years and add the Canadian provinces, it can get REALLY big...

I used pin-striping tape to do the outline of the Canadian provinces after drawing them on the side of the RV in pencil freehand. Not too bad a job, if I do say so myself...

However, for a bike, I really really like the one made for the Chain Gang, and am just waiting for my membership there to be approved so that I can try to contact the person who made those.
My plan is to attempt to organize a group purchase of that decal set, hopefully in reflective.

Wish me luck!
2002 BMW R1150RA

BMWzenrider screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 11:58 AM
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #26
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactorTrip

I'd be interested in buying one from you. I like the smaller size. It would fit on a helmet or a pannier, side panel, fairing, etc.

Reflective vinyl is great, but I'd be just as happy with non-reflective.

What would they cost?
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

The small ones I would do $33 shipped. I am not a vinyl shop, just a regular dude who bought a cutter, so my bulk vinyl buying resources for anything worth a damn are limited.

If people really want reflective vinyl ones of my 48, if you could get enough people together to help me get a stock of reflective vinyl, I could make em in reflective. I will see if I can find some decent reflective vinyl for a decent price. That's been my biggest problem finding somewhere to get decent vinyl that's not 100 yards long for a price I can afford. I don't need a football field of vinyl for personal use. I been reluctant to try ebay vinyl, but I may try it in reflective if people want it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #28
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Here's what they look like cut out and ready to go, just screwing around with AK. It doesn't have an outline.

ReactorTrip screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 09:08 PM
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #29
Spartan
It's All Attitude

Oddometer: 203
I wold like to buy one for the pannier. What is the size? Does it include Hawaii?
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #30
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,256
Howdy All,

I bought these at an RV store, on the pannier of the GS.

On the nose of the sidecar.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Join Smugmug, use this coupon https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote