Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Hi Gav, nice RR in the making, shame we didn't met for a beer or two
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
evilted
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Subscribed.

Love the church photos. Not something you see every day (or ever).

P.S. If you're like this newly minted forty year old, the grey hairs still don't show up in photos. ;)
evilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Glad you made it back ok Gav

Watching and waiting........
ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #20
tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,557
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #21
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frgich
Hi Gav, nice RR in the making, shame we didn't met for a beer or two
Definately! I was gutted, we waited a while in Slovenia and we stopped to check the phone a few times as we made our way south. Then we had to make a decision whether to head for Zargreb or west towards Italy?

There'll be a next time though my friend
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:56 AM   #22
DeeGee OP

The great thing about travelling with the tent on the back of the bike and not actually being booked into any hotel is the lack of deadlines and time keeping. I loved the freedom and the fact that when on the road you face obstacles and problems and due to this fact doors get slammed shut, but the flip side is that other doors open; bad times = good times

We looked at the map and checked the miles to Auchwitz 300+ the same back reluctantly we decided to give it a miss and just head south to meet up with my friend who lives in Bulgaria.

Now back to doors closing and opening

When we came out of the Church and returned to the bike as I tuned it around I heard a grinding noise I looked at the front brake pads and one side was worn right down to the metal Saturday afternoon, I asked a local policeman who happened to be walking by and he told me that there would be no motorcycle shops open at this hour I remembered we had passed a Honda dealers a couple of miles back and decided to head back there to see if it was open and maybe get some help. Anyway as we pulled out of a junction a guy was behind us on an R1, I flagged him down and tried explaining about the brakes.

"Follow me" he says. Well I did and five minutes later we pulled into a bike sales place, I thanked him, shook his hand and with a twist of the throttle he was gone.

To cut a long story short the guy behind the desk had the pads in stock and told me that they would fit them for me. I protested and said I had the tools and I would do it myself. He wasn't having it, in a friendly way I hasten to add and told me he'd only charge me €5 for doing the job. Result. He brought us coffee while the mechanic whipped the wheel off. And we had a conversation like this;

You like our country?

Yes, very much.

Where you head for now?

I'm not sure really, probably south, we're hoping to visit Bulgaria.

You not going to MotoGP?

No, we hadn't planned to.

You no like MotoGP?

Yes I do, but we've not really planned to go.

I have a ticket for you for Brno, you want it?

Erm..... How much do you want for it?

Nothing. It is my gift to you for free.

Are you sure?

Yes I go on holiday tonight, I cannot go so you have ticket from me?

Yes please, thankyou Brno here we come

Then I here's the V twin thumping away and the mechanic come out riding the KTM laughing. All done sir. We have a quick chat about bikes and roads and speed cameras. We get kitted up and head for Brno.

As we pulled into the camping area at Brno the clutch went Jack told me to call the breakdown people and to get it sorted, but I reasoned with her, that it was late Saturday night, we would be watching the racing on the Sunday, so lets just chill out relax and enjoy ourselves and we'd deal with the bike on Monday when everything would be back open again.
We cracked the beers open and got into a bottle of vino

Because of the language barrier I thought I'd take these pics and we might be able to show them to a stall at the GP and maybe get some mineral oil or help??

Anyway there were no stalls out selling stuff like that, just beer, cold drinks, food and merchandise. Nevermind, back to the racing

It was really really hot!! Jack bought a frekkin Lorenzo brolly to keep the sun off her

I improvised and soaked my T shirt in cold water and...... Well

Rossi Fans

JT

Then back at the tent after a right trek, first we walked the wrong way around the outside of the track, we asked the police who told us we were heading in the right direction, but the gut feeling was we were going the wrong way. We asked another policeman and he told us we were many kilometres away, so we had to go back the other way. Four blisters on each foot, I was in agony

At about 3 in the morning I heard loads of noise outside the tent and saw shadows round the tent. With my heart thumping I unzipped the tent and had a look to see what was going on. Now look at all this space at the back of the bike.

All this space and this numb nut decides to park and camp here!

Anyway I mangaged to sort the clutch out temporarilly and thanks to fellow inmates Shep532 and SleepyHollow99 I punched the address of the KTM Dealers into the satnav and risked it.

20 minutes later and here we are

I showed the guy behind the counter the pictures of the slave cylinder and pointed to the clutch on one of the bikes in the showroom and the light popped on in his head with a grin Aaah yess, I know problem.

Anyway turns out that it wasn't the slave at all it was the small piston and spring inside the clutch reservoir. I wish I'd have got a pic, but sorry I missed the opportunity.

But I did get some pics of this beauty in the showroom. MMMMMmmm

DeeGee screwed with this post 09-02-2009 at 04:05 AM
Old 09-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Timtim
BadGrandad

Oddometer: 89
Hi DeeGee,

What a great time you had... was wanting to do somethin similar but events overtook us and now a bit too late unless ship the bike to warmer climes..
anyway if you ever over this way [East Yorkshire coast]..send me a pm and we could do a few miles on some nice b roads and the odd light tracks if you want.
Ride safe..
Timtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
DeeGee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtim
Hi DeeGee,

What a great time you had... was wanting to do somethin similar but events overtook us and now a bit too late unless ship the bike to warmer climes..
anyway if you ever over this way [East Yorkshire coast]..send me a pm and we could do a few miles on some nice b roads and the odd light tracks if you want.
Ride safe..

Cheers Timtim, thanks for the offer, sounds like a plan I was over that way last year with a couple of inmates and did some fire tracks round Dalby Forrest, good fun!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
benzine
adv

Oddometer: 188
If you have problems with the clutch, you can use vegetableoil to. You know, like sunfloweroil.
Nice report, keep it coming!
benzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
benzine
adv

Oddometer: 188
If you have problems with the clutch, you can use vegetableoil to. You know, like sunfloweroil.
Nice report, keep it coming!
benzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 204
more !!!
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #28
DeeGee OP

Once we got the clutch sorted out we headed south and we crossed yet another border, similar to the rest of the borders we had crossed there was no passport control, just a desserted block of offices and a sign stating which country you were in followed by a sign pointing out speed limits on roads and that you should be riding/driving with your headlights on.
We stopped for a bite to eat and by this time I'd got my Spricken zie inglish? And Danka shun off to a tee, but in this small establishment, no one spoke much English.
We looked at the menu and we chose what the lady thought we'd like Beef and chips we thought?

And we got this

It was like minced pork kebabs, with roast potatoes and lots of onions. It

was really good and tasty!
We looked at the maps and picked out a campsite right on the side of a huge lake a town by the name of Podersdorf am See. We checked in and as soon as the tent was pitched we pulled our swimming gear on and went for a dip! It was heaven

After many many miles of long straight roads with nothing to see but flat lands and the horizon on all sides. I've heard that the African skies are huge, but Bulgaria, Germany and the Czech Republic are vast too and I'm sure would give the skies of Africa a run for their money. The landscape soon changed though once we crossed into Austria. The views were simply stunning, you turn a corner and you are treated to the most spectacular vistas' real picture post card sights, but this was just the tip of the iceberg

The hairpins soon came thick and fast, switchback after switchback, uphill and down hill. Jack comments on the views and invites me to look down, it's like when you come into land on a plane looking down at the villages all the green grass and the lakes shimmering in the sunlight. I managed to steal a quick glimpse, but I had to kep my eyes on the road

The temperture was soaring and it was a relief to drop down into a few villages, we stopped to grab a bite to eat and take on some water.

We crossed another border and we entered Slovenia, again we were treated to the most spectacular views as we crossed more mountain passes, the sun was shining and the skies were a gorgeous blue. We didn't do many miles today and we found a campsite in a small village called Ljubno, a few kilometres north of Ljubljana.

Jack did some washing and made herself a neat little washing line with a spare tent guy line

We spotted some kids playing on a trampoline as we ate our food, Jack says she's going to have a go on it in the morning. I don't believe her

I was wrong

After her morning exercise we packed up and hit the road, not before a small water crossing to get back to the main campsite though.

Some of the views on the road, some don't do it justice, but you can see the real natural beauty.

We both tried a few times to get a shot of us in the many mirrors we passed, but this is about the best

We stopped a few times to check my phone as I had my daughter pm a fellow inmate who I'd got to know through the forum and we had kind of agreed to meet up on the road, Frgich AKA Dubravko who lives in Zargreb. Unfortunately he couldn't get through to me so we headed west towards Italy and Croatia. The temperature was rising the further south we travelled. We passed through Italy, back into Slovenia and then into Croatia which was the only border in which we had to show our passports

We tried a couple of campsites which were not to our liking, we were going to take a couple of days off and we wanted a decent site, we batted on under the tremendous heat and we finally found on in Umag. Like before we pitched the tent, I downed a litre and a half of water and we went and jumped in the cool sea!

Now to get this shot put me in a bit of pain

I was getting bolder with the camera and I had the tripod out a few times, I put the timer on the camera, and my feet were still sore from all the walking at the MotoGP, as I made my way across the rocks hastily I slipped I was rubbing my foot and putting my sandal on as the camera clicked.

We hung around and chilled and we paddled in the cool sea a bit more and we just waited for the sunset.

I tried doing the star jump trick as an old couple looked on a tad bemused, but hey ho the barriers were coming down and I didn't really care. Four or five goes later and this is the best effort, not brilliant, but not bad.

DeeGee screwed with this post 09-03-2009 at 03:35 AM
Old 09-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #29
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Great pictures and report mate, makes a great read. Looks like you had lots of sun - pity us though, we just got back from Ireland rain, rain and more rain.

John

Highland for the Body and Guzzi for the Soul
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
aces anugal
The Dude abides...

Oddometer: 39
Coolness.
aces anugal is offline   Reply With Quote