Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #32
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilted
Subscribed.

Love the church photos. Not something you see every day (or ever).

P.S. If you're like this newly minted forty year old, the grey hairs still don't show up in photos. ;)
Cheers Evilted. That's good to know, I am going grey at the temples and the kids love to point it out to my annoyance But I just throw it right back and blame them!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #33
ksmdigital
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Nice!
ksmdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 265
Thumb

Great ride report & photo's ...Ride On...
Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #35
DeeGee OP

Now I kinda feel we both copped out a bit, we didn't head north to visit Auchwitz as we had planned from Czech Republic so we could make tracks to see my friend in Bulgaria. But with the brakes and then the tickets for the MotoGP and the clutch failure put us back a few days and deep down I knew that we would be pushing it to get down to Bulgaria and enjoy ourselves in the process. I imagined travelling on unpaved roads once we passed through Bosnia and Serbia & Montenegro. In the middle of nowhere, being out of my comfort zone, I was looking forward to the adventure, but I was a little sad if I'm honest. On top of that I felt like I was letting my friend Geoff down. I text him to let him know that I didn't think we would make it and I would call him as soon as I had enough battery charge in my phone.

The glass; half full or half empty?

We put the disappointment behind us even though I still had a heavy heart at times, but the glass is always got to be half full! What's more there is always next year.

We were on our holiday and we had just over a week left!

After a lazy day of Snorkelling, a pedlo ride and then a blast on a jetski, the following morning we packed up and hit the road, hindsight is a great thing, and in hindsight we should have gone south maybe onto Dubrovnik, but we went north.

Back through Slovenia and into Italy, along the way I got talking to an Austrian guy who mentioned the Dolomites, the Dolomites it was.

We passed through many mountain passes one in particular was 15 miles long with hairpin after hairpin and I really had to concentrate although I did have a chuckle to myself a few times at the madness of it all

The Dolomites were getting closer and closer

We found a campsite right at the foot of the awsome scenery in the Dolomites National Park, a place called Cortina d' Ampezzo.

We set up camp and this is what we were surrounded by

The following day would be my Big Four Oh and I couldn't think of a better place to wake up in

DeeGee screwed with this post 09-04-2009 at 07:08 AM
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #36
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Great stuff mate

Yep It had to be done Cool

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #37
DeeGee OP

Cheers Louis

Looking forward to Riding with you in Wales again
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #38
DeeGee OP

Thumb Update

It's official this day I woke up another year older the Big Four Oh had caught up with me finally. Did I feel any different? No way, I still feel like a teenager most days What a place to wake up in though eh? Dwarfed by the mountain range which was starting to basque in the early morning sun, blue skies and the woman I love! Happy Days!!

Now the previous night we nipped into town and while we were there we bought some food for breakfast, nothing fancy just the usual fresh bread, a couple of portions of butter and some eggs for a change.
There's nothing like boiled egg sarnies to start the day.

Notice the dry bread? This is the nice butter we bought

Turns out that the nice butter was in fact ......... Yeast

Ah well never mind eh?
Jack looking to see where we should be going

We decided to start heading north west, no particular destination, just a steady ride and we'd stop when we'd had enough. As it was my birthday today we were going to treat ourselves to a hotel 8-)
These are just a few of the pictures as we passed over and through the Dolomites. Once again the vistas were awesome and if there's one place you want to go and visit in Europe it's the Dolomites.

We continued on as it was quite chilly up on the top of the mountain range, the roads were fantasic once again weaving their way through the mountains. There were literally hundreds of bikers out on all various machines, right across the range from sports bikes to Harleys' to tourers. On one of the roads I found a perfect spot for the official "star jump" picture. It only took Jack about 8 attempts to get it right, but we got there in the end
Just a couple of the nearlys'

Bingo!!

As we were getting ready to set off, Jack hooked up her intercom lead before getting on the bike. Just as she was doing this I told her I was going to move up a little where the ground was less slippy.............. I nearly took her head off as I dragged her just a few yards Luckily I she wasn't hurt and luckily I didn't know what I'd done as I would have probably dropped the bike from laughing so hard. We were both in stitches, all the mic and ear phones had been torn out of the helmet too

We headed for Austria, and on the way the blue skies gave way to menacing looking clouds, we stopped just after the border to put our waterproof gear on as it was a case of when and not if we would be riding through it.
Then it came, my only regret is not getting a picture of the horrendous weather conditions. The lightning started first followed by the crack of thunder, then the heavens opened and unleashed the most terrible rainstorm I've ever witnessed, we pulled off the road to seek some kind of shelter as the visibility was down to 4-5 yards. We found a garden centre where there were many cars who had done the same, but they were under the awning of the establishment, ducked under trying to get out of the rain. Why God only knows, but it made my blood boil Why oh why were these idiots parked under a shelter when they were in their tin cars all nice and dry? And we were huddled under the smallest corner trying to get a bit of shelter and to add insult to injury it started hailstoning, hail stones the size of M & Ms! And it hurt.
After 10 minutes or so it slowed down and the hailsones stopped, so we made our way out onto the road soaked to the bone. We made our way towards Innsbruck under the grey skies, we passed through a small town where the fire crews were directing traffic, the manhole covers had blown and as we finally passed through many people were bailing out their houses where the rain had obviously flooded them.

At around 16.30 I'd had enough, we were both wet and it was getting cold, I'd made a couple of wrong turns and I was starting to get a bit stressed out so we spotted a hotel in the village of Telfs west of Innsbruck.

We had a much welcomed hot bath and we had a few beers before a nice meal in the hotel restaurant. Mixed grill for me.

Jack had a big bowl of pasta washed down with a large glass of red wine.

Getting ready to hit the road.

The following day the clouds were still looming and you couldn't see the tops of the mountains for them.

As we travelled further north west the clouds began to fade away and it started to get warmer and we welcomed it too

The roads were still fantastic too, Austria like many of the other places we visited along the trip was beautiful too, you don't really think of these countries to be places for holidays other than for skiing, but I will definately return one day.
Time for a brew and a look at the map.

We were told along the way by a German couple about a place called Bodensee, a large lake which splits Switzerland and Germany, they sold it to us and thats where we headed for.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #39
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,376
"upgrade to pro today"
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #40
DeeGee OP

Talking Upgraded!!!

Sorry about that hiccup! I'll be updating the RR later, thanks for the comments guys
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #41
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,129
Thumb Dream Ride This One!!!!!

Really enjoying this one. Happy 40th mate!!! Spent mine in Srinigar, Kashmir - India riding a busted Royal Enfield .

Love to ride this route, thanks for sharing!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #42
DeeGee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMike
Really enjoying this one. Happy 40th mate!!! Spent mine in Srinigar, Kashmir - India riding a busted Royal Enfield .

Love to ride this route, thanks for sharing!
Cheers Mike!

India's definately on the list to do
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #43
DeeGee OP

Thumb

So we headed for Bodensee, now from what I can gather Bodensee is the name of an area/region around Lake Constance, the north side is German, the South side is Switzerland. Since we would be heading into Germany we decided to visit the south side and tick another country off. We tried a few campsites, and finally got one in a town called Romanshorn a stones throw from the lake.

I didn't get many pics here, we just chilled out and enjoyed the sunshine.
The following day we moved north and headed for the Black Forrest in Germany. The scenery was changing as we moved along, the mountain range was getting smaller, but they were still impressive and covered with huge pine trees which was the beginning of the Black Forrest. Once again the roads were a mix of twisties and fast flowing bends cut into the forrest and hills, the echo and roar of the big V-twin sent shivers down my spine an many occasions as I just soaked up the views.

We stopped for lunch and as we ate I just looked at the bike parked up with a huge sense of pride. Although we had a minor problem with the clutch it was still a great bike and I loved it!

I never noticed the reflection in the window until one of my sons pointed it out, pretty cool me thinks

We found a campsite in the small town of Seelbach and began the familiar process of setting up camp. Once the tent was pitched we headed into town for some provisions AKA beer and food
When we were pitching out tent I noticed a stack of bricks and we decided we'd have a BBQ, it was red hot with the temperature well into the high 30s'

So it was beer time while Jack took a shower Notice the garage in the background here? More on that in a while.

It was so hot, luckily there was a cold water tap close by.

Ray Mears stylie BBQ building

Bingo!!

Now take note! You can't have a BBQ without a good stick

Tucking in

While we were eating an old Dutch couple were having a walk round the campsite with their two grand children, at a guess they were 8 and 10 years old. The young boys eyes lit up when they saw the bike and were pretty shocked when they realised we were from England. They were pointing to the food on the BBQ and kept saying "chicken" "chicken" but their big eyes returned to the bike. I showed them a few photos on my phone from an off road trip to Wales earlier on in the year, big smiles appeared on the faces and with a wave and a "thankyou" they disappeared. I know we were not in the middle of some remote place say in Africa, but for me this experience was priceless.

We'd had our fill and the customery bottle of wine and we turned in for the night, then it happened............... Similar to the numb nut who parked right behind us at Brno. I thought we'd had another as I heard some noise and then bright lights in the middle of the night, I looked at my watch and it was 1.30, surely not again? Then it happened again and I realised what it was... Thunder, loud thunder, then the lights I saw was obviously the lightning. I lay for a while longer then the rain came drumming on the tent in surround sound, it was loud. Jack woke and we decided to go take shelter in the garage and I would wheel the bike down too and keep it out of the rain.

I tried to capture some lightning with the camera and after many attempts and black sky I got these.

Before

The camera in the same position

The storm last for about an hour or so, before it started to move on, about time too!

The next morning I had a wander up to the shop and bought some food for breakfast.

This little fella seemed a bit miffed that we'd got a bit of honey!

We packed up our gear and moved on, but where to??
Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #44
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
A fine report

Thank You very much for taking us along on your travels. Your Photographs bring your story to life. The Church of the Bones is very unusual. Have a safe and enjoyable adventure.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #45
DeeGee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn
Thank You very much for taking us along on your travels. Your Photographs bring your story to life. The Church of the Bones is very unusual. Have a safe and enjoyable adventure.
Thanks for the kind words Windburn!