User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
knutte-bor-i-amerika OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
How many here opted for ABS on GS8?

So I put my deposit down for an '10 with ABS so I could get it before autumn but wonder if I should wait another 2 months, save $900, 5 lbs (~2 1/2 Kg) and maybe some headaches from having to stop to switch it off, malfunctions etc. In my 25-30 yrs of riding I have never needed ABS on a motorcycle, in a car, yes. How many here bought the bike because of the ABS? Would buy a used one (when I sell it sometime in the future) because of it? Other likes/dislikes?
knutte-bor-i-amerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Not having ABS would be a deal breaker for me....... used or new.

I have engaged the ABS already a couple of times on the F800GS - mainly on the rear wheel that seems to lock up very easily. That is easy to recover from however.

One time when riding a GL1200 and following my wife on the GL1800 a cage driver decided to make a U-Turn behind a blind curve. I locked the rear wheel (no problem) and suddenly the front end feels EXTREMELY light. I released the brakes and recovered the bike but now was coming up VERY QUICKLY on my wife riding ahead of me. I avoided her and only by a small margin the cage driver who then was speeding away fast. A check of the road showed I left TWO skid marks on the road. Perfect reinforcement that saving money on not buying ABS is saving on the wrong end.

When we bought the GL1800 (September 2000) was without a bike for a while and would have had a 3 month waiting time to get an ABS model. Today I wish I would have waited the three month (no matter how painfull that would have been).

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
Not having ABS would be a deal breaker for me....... used or new.
Yep, definitely agree.

And if saving 5lbs is an issue, you're probably looking for the wrong type of bike.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
HKB3
DIsturb the Peace

Oddometer: 134
You also would have to order a non abs bike (at least from the dealers around here).
HKB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Mine has ABS. I got it with that option because I had never owned an ABS bike and wanted to try it. Haven't had it engage yet (on road that is; off road it's a pain) except when I was trying to force it on. Mostly just to get used to the feel so I didn't freak out when it happens for real. It's easy to outbrake the ABS on any surface other than pavement so far. Really, I could go either way with it in the future.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
knutte-bor-i-amerika OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Yep, definitely agree.

And if saving 5lbs is an issue, you're probably looking for the wrong type of bike.
As a former competitive enduro rider and triathlete the weight issue is sort of in my DNA, had a small scale to weigh and save grams on spokes, cranks, pedals to minimize rotating mass. And Im not sure where those 5 lbs are, if even half of it is in the hubs that's huge amount of extra unsprung mass, just figured it's more dirtworthy bike without ABS.
knutte-bor-i-amerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by knutte-bor-i-amerika
And Im not sure where those 5 lbs are, if even half of it is in the hubs that's huge amount of extra unsprung mass, just figured it's more dirtworthy bike without ABS.
Most of it is the servo- there's only a tiny bit in the hubs, just however much the sensor and grid weighs.

ABS can certainly be turned off for dirt riding. Are you going to spend 100% of your time on dirt? Don't get it. Of course, don't get a F800, get a dirt bike
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
So I put my deposit down for an '10 with ABS so I could get it before autumn but wonder if I should wait another 2 months, save $900, 5 lbs (~2 1/2 Kg) and maybe some headaches from having to stop to switch it off, malfunctions etc. In my 25-30 yrs of riding I have never needed ABS on a motorcycle, in a car, yes. How many here bought the bike because of the ABS? Would buy a used one (when I sell it sometime in the future) because of it? Other likes/dislikes?
The question is do you want ABS or not? Really nothing specific to the 800 unless you're just trying to get a feel for the average 800 owners priorities.

Personally I ordered mine without. Similar experience to yourself in that I've never needed it, or really wanted it, but I would still buy the bike if it was standard equipment. You pointed out my biggest concern, remembering to turn it off everytime I restart the bike in the dirt. If they could put a button on the bars that allowed on the fly switching, and the ability to turn it off and leave it off I'd be far more interested.

I wouldn't worry about weight to much all things considered. I also prefer simple bikes, less to go wrong, but then I just bought a BMW, canbus an everything else so that's a bit hypocritcal for me to say I just want to keep it simple

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Got it as it just happened to be on the only bike available at the time and I was in lust for it. I run TKC80's and I like having it on the street as I'm probaby less likely to lethally find the limits of knobby tire braking on wet pavement. Same goes for gravel. I turn it off for anything else. Like most, I wish it had a flip switch on the fly, or could be turned off as the default, hen it would be ideal.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
I have been riding for about 12 years and during that time have only needed ABS once. Unfortunately I did not have it and totaled a Multistrada about 30 miles North of the Grand Canyon.

When it came time to replace the Multi I looked at the new ones but ended up getting a Tiger 1050 because it came with ABS and the new Multi did not. I had to wait an extra 3 months on the Tiger before the ABS models got to the States.

When I was ready to buy the F800GS they had one on the Show Room Floor w/o ABS they offered be a great deal on.

I waited for the ABS model and will not purchase another primary bike w/o ABS.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
It came with my bike along with some other stuff I was not really in love with. I have engaged the ABS once and it is now an item I am VERY glad is on the bike (love it). As to the switch...if you are too tired to remember to turn it off after a pause in your dirty fun, you are too tired to be riding. As to the 5 lbs (insert uncontrolled laughing here)...I am 5 lbs+ over with just the fat on my left forearm.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
As to the switch...if you are too tired to remember to turn it off after a pause in your dirty fun, you are too tired to be riding.
I too will not ever buy another bike without ABS. It's just part of ATGATT to me. But there are lots of reasons for forgetting to switch off the ABS besides being tired. The last time I forgot was at about 9 am, and I had just paused briefly to take a photo after starting to ride a dirt section. Fortunately, the steep, rocky descent I found myself accelerating on didn't end with a faceplant.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I have forgotten a couple of times (at least) but had the good fortune of noticing and fixing before things got ugly (I plead stupid). Gotta wonder how tough would it be to cause the switch to operate exactly opposite of how it does now?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
I crashed my street bike and nearly killed myself because I did NOT have ABS. I locked up my front brake and lost control. I am sure that, had I been on a bike with ABS I might have not crashed that day.
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 778
Thumb Blessing and a curse

ABS has saved my bacon a couple times now coming into a corner too hot. Also cusrsed it on more than one occasion forgetting to push the button after a break and descending steap downhill dirt sections. Still I'm sold on the ABS.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote