Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #76
knutte-bor-i-amerika OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I don't wanna get into YET ANOTHER pro-con ABS debate. My pro ABS position is probably well known.

The OP asked about the f800 specifically. Personally I would not buy a f800 without it, and that means YOU should have it... if you ever intend to sell your bike to a person like me.

BMW riders who like ABS far outnumber those who don't so if you get a bike without it you are limiting your resale options and getting a lower price when you do sell IMHO.
And thats exactly what im thinking, there might be a day when all of a sudden i come up on that Bimota I always wanted and could actually afford as long as I sell my current bike so it might be a faster/easier sell.
knutte-bor-i-amerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #77
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Package deal, but will it last?

Alright, not going to dive into the ABS vs. Non-ABS. Really, I almost picked non-ABS to get the color I wanted (on a DL650), just to show you how "on the fence" I really am. I learned how to ride my first motorcycle by driving it on lake ice with tek screws in the knobbies back in Alaska in the '70's. I know a thing or two about control. That being said, I'm still an off road guy learning to play in traffic - a complete noob on the large street machines and as such, I do not have enough experience to spout off any words of wisdom on ABS vs Non-ABS yet. I'm simply answering the original question of what I bought, and why with respect to this feature:

When looking for a larger displacement bike to augment the little suburban commando bike (KLX), it was down to the WeStrom and F800GS. Both perfect for my M.O. It was not about the money, and after driving the F800GS, it followed me home. What can I say, the bike picks you. The last four Beemers I seriously considered (one in Chicago, three in Atlanta), all had the option package that had ABS bundled with the on-board computer, center stand, heated grips, etc. So, that made it easy. I could take it or leave it, but didn't mind having it. As for the V-Strom, I wanted an Orange one, but Suzuki for some reason, only sold the ABS model in grey. Couldn't get one back then and ended up with the Beemer anyway (after kicking the tires for a year). Both great bikes. I bought it to go long distances, off the interstate (i.e. Hwy 41, 66, 197, etc.) and fire roads. As such, ABS is a plus. For the gnarley off-road stuff, I'll stick to my non-ABS KLX.

Now, my only concern is the long term reliability of ABS. Both of the trucks in our household have ABS, and both have had sensor issues that rendered them inoperative around 30-50K miles (Both Fords, and no, let's not go there...)

So, it's a selling point as long as it works when I want to sell the bike.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote