Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #61
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,098
If You Have To Ask....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Dog Chapman
Some input. You only ride off road. Why in the world are you riding a five hundred pound bike. My input would be sell the GS and buy a bike that came with a 21 inch wheel like an off road bike. I suggest a CRF450
Hey Dog,

If you have to ask...there is no way to explain it to you..my '07 GSA is outstanding off road...it has many times more potential than my skills can use....seriously at 564 pounds [only 7 or 8.7 gals of fuel] plus a load she handles like a dream and eats up the rough stuff...single track bike? Of course not...at least with me aboard...but it is a dirt eatin' machine..

Wallowa screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 04:12 PM
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #62
Duane Dog Chapman
Banned

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Hey Dog,

'07 GSA is outstanding off road...it has many times more potential than my skills can use....
The CRF450 will be way to much off road for your skills then.
Duane Dog Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #63
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Back To 21"

Quote:
The CRF450 will be way to much off road for your skills then.
Dog,

You could be correct, but I have ridden a lot of other dirt only bikes.. I have found that the tool is not as important as the operator..the limiter is almost always the rider and not the bike. The GSA has enormous potential off road.

Back to 21"..Woody does a great job of summarizing issues and potential corrections along with advantages...no doubt a 21" front wheel over a 19" front wheel off road MAY be THE set-up...but I don't think you can lump all bikes into that recommendation...example..my bike is a GSA {GS Adventure} and not a GS...suspension geometry differences for starters...the proof of the pudding is what performance advantages are actually produced over what type of terrain [again off road only] on a specific bike...for me and for me only I am still weighing the potential improvement over rough terrain VS cost, increased seat height, possible loss of centerstand use and no effective fender [at a reasonable cost]. Add to that a steering dampener is also recommended and it may not add up to be worth the alterations...again, I don't race the Baja.

Goota say one more thing Charlie and Ewan seem to be easy targets for sniping and we all have different opinions about their RTW adventure, but since I have not duplicated their effort I am impressed...but the lads did pick their overloaded bikes up and while not fun, I too pick mine up when it takes a rest; it ain't no big deal...21" wheels notwithstanding, when you are learning to ride a new bike you fall down..

Anyway I do appreciate the informative discussion on this topic..Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #64
Duane Dog Chapman
Banned

Wallowa the 21 inch wheel will be better off road. I'll say one other thing about offroading with the GS. Off Road speed is your friend. Speed where your feet are floating on the pegs. With the big GS if you have any speed you can't stop and when the thing hits you at 25 mph it's going to kill you. That and the fact that it cost so much to fix broken gs prts. I'm sure that you don't ride like this Wallowa but for those that do. 3mph with your legs stuck out on some trail sweating like a pig is not off roading, it's more like hiking.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #65
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

True Not Me..

Quote:
Wallowa the 21 inch wheel will be better off road. I'll say one other thing about offroading with the GS. Off Road speed is your friend. Speed where your feet are floating on the pegs. With the big GS if you have any speed you can't stop and when the thing hits you at 25 mph it's going to kill you. That and the fact that it cost so much to fix broken gs prts. I'm sure that you don't ride like this Wallowa but for those that do. 3mph with your legs stuck out on some trail sweating like a pig is not off roading, it's more like hiking.

Good advice...but I ride 90% of the time standing [PivotPegz are da-kind!]...as for stopping..that is a real strong point on the my GSA [again not a GS] the linked brakes [ABS is off off road] are sensitive and sure stoppers...I do a lot of front wheel only braking [link is 70% F/ 30% R] to control speed along with compression braking...wonder how the smaller front tire on a 21" wheel would haul me down under braking on steep off road downhills compared to larger tire on the 19"? Oh yes, in context I am a 100% believer in TKCs..
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #66
Duane Dog Chapman
Banned

The 21 inch will slow you quicker off road.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #67
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Cool Thanks

Quote:
The 21 inch will slow you quicker off road.
Thanks..
Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #68
koutadog
Pilbara rider

Oddometer: 29
not a distance eater

Quote:
Some input. You only ride off road. Why in the world are you riding a five hundred pound bike. My input would be sell the GS and buy a bike that came with a 21 inch wheel like an off road bike. I suggest a CRF450
Unfortunately the CRF isn’t well known as a long distance touring bike.

I have chosen the GS as it has always been noted as the best bike for all seasons and all roads. I like a blast on the bitumen every now and then but what I love is long off road self supporting rides. The most recent being 5000km from Tom Price in Western Australia straight through the desert to Alice Springs and back, 4000km plus of this is dirt. The CRF just is not the bike for that

One of the reasons for changing to the 21” wheel is I have put several dents and flat spots into my factory alloys, the front twice now so they are going to be relegated to bitumen work only.
koutadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #69
koutadog
Pilbara rider

Oddometer: 29
Asc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works

ABS....works just fine and ya can always turn it off in the dirt

steering geometry....

What about the ASC??

When I fitted the 21" front the ASC cuts in upon medium acceleration, all is good when i switch it off.
Is this normal?

Dont mind switching it off but a pain when it is every time you start it.
koutadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #70
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Ahhhh "Alloys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutadog
Unfortunately the CRF isn’t well known as a long distance touring bike.

I have chosen the GS as it has always been noted as the best bike for all seasons and all roads. I like a blast on the bitumen every now and then but what I love is long off road self supporting rides. The most recent being 5000km from Tom Price in Western Australia straight through the desert to Alice Springs and back, 4000km plus of this is dirt. The CRF just is not the bike for that

One of the reasons for changing to the 21” wheel is I have put several dents and flat spots into my factory alloys, the front twice now so they are going to be relegated to bitumen work only.
Good statement...I would add that my GSA has tubless wire wheels [are wire wheels an option on GSs?]...tougher than alloys when it comes to off road thumps...I have know two GS riders that damaged their alloy wheels off road...hence all [at least that I have seen] 'dirt bikes' have wire wheels..
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #71
alexisan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Hello everybody,

we got the 21'' Front wheels sponsered from Wunderlich for our Africa Trip last year (www.triple-a.co.za)

My summary:

- the Wunderlich Muddguard is useless (we used the original Fender that also worked with the bigger diameter wheel. We just made plastic spacers. The wholes line up with the other Wunderlich Clamp)
- offroad the 21 is unbeatable. especially on loose ground it makes a hugh difference
- on road it works but the bike was designed for 19''. I always felt some kind of wobble going though the bike...it was less stable on the straight.. difficult to describe..

I sold the bike after the trip in stock setup. The wheel is still in Germany. I am trying to get it to the states soon and want to put it onto my GSA here. This time I want to make it better. I find the bike need to come lower in the front in order to improve balance, etc.

I just wanted to know how the 21 works for you and how your set up looks now. Front Fender? Height Difference? Wobble?

Thanks, Alex
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #72
alexisan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Hello everybody,

we got the 21'' Front wheels sponsered from Wunderlich for our Africa Trip last year (www.triple-a.co.za)

My summary:

- the Wunderlich Muddguard is useless (we used the original Fender that also worked with the bigger diameter wheel. We just made plastic spacers. The wholes line up with the other Wunderlich Clamp)
- offroad the 21 is unbeatable. especially on loose ground it makes a hugh difference
- on road it works but the bike was designed for 19''. I always felt some kind of wobble going though the bike...it was less stable on the straight.. difficult to describe..

I sold the bike after the trip in stock setup. The wheel is still in Germany. I am trying to get it to the states soon and want to put it onto my GSA here. This time I want to make it better. I find the bike need to come lower in the front in order to improve balance, etc.

I just wanted to know how the 21 works for you and how your set up looks now. Front Fender? Height Difference? Wobble?

Thanks, Alex

edited: pictures on our site dont work for some reason. Here is another link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

alexisan screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 06:12 PM
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #73
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
That 21" Wunderlich wheel looks right on the bike. Should be standard equipment on the big GS models as far as I'm concerned.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #74
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
try it you'll like it 21'' loaner wheels,,,

what do you all think of the idea of trying out one of these wheels????

1,,,anyone can try out my R1200GS with 21 front set-up if ya stop by the shop,,,or

2,,i'll send ya a complete wheel all set up ready to go,,i have a few spare wheels ,,just pay the freight both ways,,,,

3,,,should i start a rental program????need your input...reason being the notion of ''collaborative consumerism'' tickles my fancy,,,FYI i have a garage full of steeds of every description ready and available to friends in strange places,,,got so sick n tired of the stories about folks coming here buying/renting a bike and then getting slammed for an arm and a leg,,,so in the spirit of 'my casa es su casa' i now have bikes available for my use in several countries

4,,,heck we have ADVrider,,itself as the meeting/swapping place,,,,???
imagine posting,,''i live in xxxxxyyyzzz and want to test ride a 21'' 1150GS/1200GSA etc..folks could chime in ...''hey i'm cruising thru there next week,,will swap for warm shower and a couch for the nite'' you get it!!!

5,,add your vision of what works,,,,and the one thing i KNOW that works is actually experiencing ''le difference''

6,,once more....the whole fender business yakking turns to total BS when ya run into this

i don't care what kind of fender ya have ,,this gumbo will slow ya down big time,,,,your GS with lower fender removed actually scrapes off this stuff better than the high fender set ups...like i mentioned earlier i'm still working on my mud scraper..visualize a set of plow-shares snow-plow like set-ups that scoop it up and out both sides...ooops now i let the cat outta the bag,,,,

the lower fender has circa 3/8''/10mm clearance using a 90/90 21'' TKC-80 or dunlop street legal dakar knobby[d906???],,it keeps the mist from coming up under the gas tank in the rain,,AND mud/dirt/ still fling up and out the front and hit ya in the face..WITH the lower fender installed

ok it's your turn guys

woody

PS,,foto credit to coolmoose in this thread,,,he has more great mud slobbered pics there
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646887
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #75
KLOC

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post

the lower fender has circa 3/8''/10mm clearance using a 90/90 21'' TKC-80 ...
In general, there is about 10mm clearance between the OEM fender and a 90/90-21 TKC ... except for the area between the two forward-most
fender mounting screws.

There is also less clearance near the front of the fender.

When I'm running the 21", I just don't use the fender.
I don't miss it much, although it does make for a bit more
work when cleaning up the bike.

No biggie - I expect to get muddy when riding in ... mud.

For me, the most important benefit of having Woody's 21"
configuration on my GSA is a complete lack of:

KLOC is offline   Reply With Quote