User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #76
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,326
wow

KLOC..you need that front wheel trued big time!!!!!

what a great video,,,now that's show n tell

that bike must dance around and really wiggle in the sweepers especially once you throw more street oriented rubber on them...

be carefull n happy new year

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #77
KLOC

Oddometer: 145
My dealer (Argyll) fought the good fight and got it replaced under warranty.
The Rockies are hard on wheels and once something is outta whack
with the OEM wheel they seem to progress to junk pretty quick.

My 1.6 x 21" Woody has had ZERO such problems and has been subject to
way worse abuse. Billet hub with those uber-spokes.

KLOC screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 11:44 AM
KLOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #78
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Big fan of Woody's 21" front & 18" rear wheels on the GS.
Great prompt service with a super product thanks guys for all the help.
Followed some great advice from the wheel wizard and fitted the Ralle-Moto 2 damper as well.
Handles alot better off-road than standard, it's really cool.
Maybe I shoulda thought about the 17" rear a bit more for those steep rocky sections as I'm noticing the taller gearing.
Tyre prices are heaps cheaper in these sizes too. I convinced myself that it was an investment all I need to do is wear out a dozen or so sets of tyres and the wheels will pay for themselves.
Why am I now wearing out so many rear tyres?

Touratech gaurd has a fraction more clearance than standard with no issues.

Steering damper helps alot, BMW tankbag still fits fine as well. Had to turn bar mounts around to fit damper though. Was using ROX risers all fixed anyways!
Quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #79
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
21/17 setup from Woody

fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #80
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 418
Been thinking about a 21in wheel for a while now. Is the 21in wheel lighter than the 19??
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #81
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00 View Post
Been thinking about a 21in wheel for a while now. Is the 21in wheel lighter than the 19??
Maybe some more info for you in link below. I think with Woody's setup it's around 5lb's lighter for the front wheel. Thats if ya choose to run Galfer discs I think BMW ones are heavier. Thats a fair weight saving and because it's unsprung weight the differance is freaking amazing. Small down side for me though is needing to run tubes for this setup.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288592

Cheers
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #82
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Maybe some more info for you in link below. I think with Woody's setup it's around 5lb's lighter for the front wheel. Thats if ya choose to run Galfer discs I think BMW ones are heavier. Thats a fair weight saving and because it's unsprung weight the differance is freaking amazing. Small down side for me though is needing to run tubes for this setup.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288592

Cheers
Any handling differences as you have changed the geometry of the bike? I was thinking of doing a 21 front but there isn't any way of compensating for it.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #83
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6 View Post
Any handling differences as you have changed the geometry of the bike? I was thinking of doing a 21 front but there isn't any way of compensating for it.
An adjustable or modified Paralever torque arm does the trick. Up to 30mm on track r1200S bikes.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #84
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrendeep6 View Post
So many factors to consider, what do you want from your bike should be the question, geometry hasn't really been on my radar! Might be some sort of big issue started by some pedantic torque wrench loving BMW engineer!
21" wheel setup might change axle height by less 1"
18" on the rear probaly has similar effect and any angle geometry angle wise would be minimal IMO. Whats good- tyre price and availability, tougher rims and rolls over stuff (roots, rocks, edges) The bad- Rubs rear shock gaurd when tyre is new (who cares!). Further off the ground if vertically challenged. Taller gearing.
Sure it's different on tarmac, slower to turn change direction and certainly less planted and am not at all as confident with it in the twisties and I wouldn't expect anything else on knobbies. It doesn't make it slow either but I've ended up riding on the tar (twisties) like I would on the dirt with these wheels with knobbies fitted (lean the bike into the corner without the rider doing the same to an extent, keeping downforce pressure on tyre). So on road trips I run oem wheels with anakees and then I'm back leaning into the corners again with the more grip available.
If you stick with the 17" rear IMO this would improve dirt tracking cause of longer fork rake but slower steering on tarmac. The gearing doesn't change, you keep tyre width and the ground would be a little closer. Down side is tyre expense, wheel toughness.

Get in contact with Woody he'll set things straight for ya, with a big Holler and Thanx!

Cheers

PS- I do like my torque wrench set.

Quirky screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 03:13 AM
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #85
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 418
I'm leaning toward woody's response in post 56 option #2, as I'm really only concerned with dirt I have a cast set of wheels at the powder coater being coated black to run street tires on.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #86
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
NIcely Done!

Dude, you can ride!

You make riding the big 1200GS look pretty damn easy!

Not worthy of a 21" front wheel yet, but for your purposes this looks like a great upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlove View Post
http://photobucket.com/R1200GS_album

(click on the link to view my GS)
I have a 05 R12GS and decided to try out a 21" wheel in the front and I could not be happier! I sent my stock wheel's to Woody's wheel works in Denver. I had the rear anodized black and he built me a 21" front with my original hub and an HP2 wheel he had. He called me personally to discuss different options and was very nice. The service and time frame was great and my wheels came out perfect. I haven't had a chance to go off road yet except for some obstacles I have laid out in my back yard. I can already tell it will roll much better off road but in the next few day's I'm going to take it to some trails. On the street it rides great. I actually prefer it now to the 19". I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 6 yrs old so it feels more natural to me with a 21". Corning is down a little bit but straight line stability is better.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #87
alexisan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
if anybody is interested: https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3069565398

it came from Wunderlich.

Alex
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #88
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Is a steering dampener necessary for the 21'' conversion???

Hey guys,,a little clarification is in order,,,i keep getting calls refering to this post....am in Saigon on this new I-pad and am having difficulty trying to hi- lite / make my text bold etc...bear with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Dog,

Back to 21"..Woody does a great job of summarizing issues and potential corrections along with advantages...no doubt a 21" front wheel over a 19" front wheel off road MAY be THE set-up...but I don't think you can lump all bikes into that recommendation...example..my bike is a GSA {GS Adventure} and not a GS...suspension geometry differences for starters...the proof of the pudding is what performance advantages are actually produced over what type of terrain [again off road only] on a specific bike...for me and for me only I am still weighing the potential improvement over rough terrain VS cost, increased seat height, possible loss of centerstand use and no effective fender [at a reasonable cost].

[COLOR="Yellow"][B][I][B]
FYI,,,i have pretty well listed and been up front about the pros and cons of the 21'' conversion,,,our testing and the feedback from over 100 riders confirmzs the benefits of the 21'' on all the GSs....Jimmy Lewis is currently testing the different 21/17,,,21/18,,,19/17 set-ups....watch for it in another thread as well as in one of the next Dirt Rider issues.

Add to that a steering dampener is also recommended and it may not add up to bäh worth the alterations... , I don't race the Baja.

I never said that a steering dampener is needed for this conversion,,in fact the bike handles much better with the 21 in the dirt than the 19,,,AND i added that
IMHO then next best addition to any of the GSs is a steering dampener. On road,,,on gravel fire roads,,in the sand ,,,as well the really rugged stuff. Essentially,,,,anywhere!!! IMHO of course

Anyway I do appreciate the informative discussion on this topic..Thanks.

Woody in Saigon

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 06:47 AM
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #89
shdashley
Back out bush

Oddometer: 59
Center Stand - All OK?

Giday, So reading this thread with some interest.
Looks like the ABS (for road) use is all A OK. Mud guard could be a pain, but I've (Like many I guess) had the std 19" wheel clog up and stop with mud at times.

One thing I did not see a response about was how the standard center stand fairs with 21". I suspect it's all OK but can someone confirm this. I have a '06 GSA, and looking at Mr Woodys X laced OEM front.
shdashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #90
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Center-stand still usable with 21/17 and/or 21/18???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdashley View Post
Giday, So reading this thread with some interest.
Looks like the ABS (for road) use is all A OK. Mud guard could be a pain, but I've (Like many I guess) had the std 19" wheel clog up and stop with mud at times.

One thing I did not see a response about was how the standard center stand fairs with 21". I suspect it's all OK but can someone confirm this. I have a '06 GSA, and looking at Mr Woodys X laced OEM front.
Can't say for sure about the outer limits of a GSA ,,,what can tell you is on my '05 and '06 GS the center stand works for both combinations....the tilt forward/back goes from about 3" oem 19/17 to 2" with 21/17 and 1" with 21/18,

No one has mentioned any issues regarding center stand not working on the GSA using just 21"...

What I have noticed is the side stand is a different issue,,,we've modified your stock side stand for years now,,,has 2" range,,,so you can fine tune it for whatever load and/or tire / wheel size you are running...

Hope this clarifies and assuages your concerns..

Woody