Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #106
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Hey All, I'm going to pull the trigger soon on a new set of wheels from Woody soon and wanted to get more feedback on the 17 vs 18 rear wheel choice.

What are everyones thoughts? My biggest concern is the taller gearing. How much taller is it? Also, any issues with tire clearance in the rear. THis will be for my 2012 1200GS.

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #107
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Hey All, I'm going to pull the trigger soon on a new set of wheels from Woody soon and wanted to get more feedback on the 17 vs 18 rear wheel choice.

What are everyones thoughts? My biggest concern is the taller gearing. How much taller is it? Also, any issues with tire clearance in the rear. THis will be for my 2012 1200GS.

Cheers, James
I have the 18" rear. It rubs the bottom 1" of the rear shock gaurd while the tyres are new.
They run fairly close to the lower esa wire, but no issues here.
Gearing is noticeable but not silly.
Good tyre choices, but thinking of trying the 17" out again and see if it slows down the steering just a little bit, and maybe more manners on tarmac.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #108
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post

Reply for Manxman.
I think that keeping the 17" on the back makes sense to increase the trail slightly. Helps with distance for the rider ta reach the ground and it doesn't gear it up ground speed wise. Cheers
Now that I have had time to try the bike off road and on pavement with the 21"/17" combination I think the 17" rear was the right decision.

It's no surprise the GS is much better off pavement with the 21" wheel but what has surprised me is that the bike can be ridden harder on pavement than I was expecting. No stability issues so far.

Tire choice, air pressure and suspension settings have to be taken into account, but overall I am very pleased with it's paved road manners and of course, totally happy with the improvement off pavement.

MANXMAN screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 12:53 AM
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #109
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
Now that I have had time to try the bike off road and on pavement with the 21"/17" combination I think the 17" rear was the right decision.

It's no surprise the GS is much better off pavement with the 21" wheel but what has surprised me is that the bike can be ridden harder on pavement than I was expecting. No stability issues so far.

Tire choice, air pressure and suspension settings have to be taken into account, but overall I am very pleased with it's paved road manners and of course, totally happy with the improvement off pavement.

Manxman, thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be going for a set of Woddy's with superlight hubs in 21/17 combo.

Cheers, James

Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #110
MANXMAN
Overlander

You will like dealing with Woody's.

Woody's 21"/17" wheels, a lower fork brace designed to increase the clearance for the taller front tire and a set of quality, well set up shocks will make the big GS a much better Big Trailie.

From my experience, nothing else can change the bike for the good like those three things do.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #111
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 385
Quote:

Woody's 21"/17" wheels, a lower fork brace designed to increase the clearance for the taller front tire and a set of quality, well set up shocks will make the big GS a much better Big Trailie.

From my experience, nothing else can change the bike for the good like those three things do.
...but a steering damper added to the mix is a lovely addition. It is probably impossible to anticipate the magnitude of the change that a damper makes. Everything gets easier.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #112
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Manxman, I already have Yacugar remote reservoir shocks and a Ralle Moto damper. I'll definitely get the Ralle Moto fork brace since we have a bunch of mud back east. Thanks for the information again.

Cheers, James

Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #113
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
taller gearing issues when using 21/18 on 1200GS/GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post

Cheers, James
once again,,,
IMHO i like the taller gearing ie it feels fine everywhere EXCEPT,,when trying to climb steep rutted/rocky terrain ,,,terrain that my vertically challenged inseam doesn't get along with....cuz i want to dab and crawl up and over it....so i can't go slower and i can't touch the ground hence ..i'm miserable...
Voila!!!!,Rx=i went back to the 17'' and my problems were solved...

,,,,a quote from Quirky"" I have the 18" rear. It rubs the bottom 1" of the rear shock gaurd while the tyres are new.
They run fairly close to the lower esa wire, but no issues here.
Gearing is noticeable but not silly.
Good tyre choices, but thinking of trying the 17" out again and see if it slows down the steering just a little bit, and maybe more manners on tarmac. ""

it will slow down the steering a bit since you will be increasing the trail,,,this adds straight line stability,,,i like the feel of the increased trail....

regarding the lower fork brace with the extra clearance ,,there are several on the market now ,,,

FYI,,my front fender mod project got derailed by LIFE,,,too much shit on my plate at one time....so somethings had to be temporarily put on hold....i'm back in calmer waters now,,so it'll get wrapped up in the very near future,,,80% is already done....will keep ya posted..

OBTW,,,i did get the 21'' figured out for the new 2013 watercooled 1200GS
It achieved similar results,,waaay better off road handling,,at no great diminishment of road manners...

Add countersteering to the mix and you'll experience another quantum leap in riding pleasure

woody
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #114
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
As popular as the 21" wheel has become on the beastly R1200GS bikes, anyone have good or bad experiences with tires? I have only run tubless TKC 80 on my GSA and have not been very impressed (with the tire). The improvement in bike performance offroad with the 21" wheel is remarkable, just don't think the TKC 80 matches up very well.

Lots more options with running a tube but what is best to match up with the hefty weight of the bike? The KTM 990 boys rave about the Dunlop 908 but it seems sketchy on the highway. The Karoo seems to be the same as the TKC??? Anyone try the Kenda Big Block K784F?

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #115
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
As popular as the 21" wheel has become on the beastly R1200GS bikes, anyone have good or bad experiences with tires? I have only run tubless TKC 80 on my GSA and have not been very impressed (with the tire). The improvement in bike performance offroad with the 21" wheel is remarkable, just don't think the TKC 80 matches up very well.

Lots more options with running a tube but what is best to match up with the hefty weight of the bike? The KTM 990 boys rave about the Dunlop 908 but it seems sketchy on the highway. The Karoo seems to be the same as the TKC??? Anyone try the Kenda Big Block K784F?

I found the TKC 80 not good enough for me also. Tried the D908RR they feel real bad on the road at higher pressures and for me they settle down a bit as I drop the pressures until I get a little headshake happening at higher speeds. MT21 are better for me than TKC's but do walk around a bit. Allot seem to not like the 908rr on the front of the KTM's and run d606 front with the 908rr rear's.

So when I get me bike back I'll be trying a set of D606's.
The rear won't last long but it's half the price of the 908rr.

Next one to try on the front and out of left field and not DOT approved (shouldn't worry me in oz) and recomended to me by a few in the know, a Michelin Starcross HP4 with UHD tubes. I've seen these tyres do some big miles. What else is out there?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #116
funsummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Gday Quirks...
I picked up some rims, 21" front from a fellow advrider.
I am currently using a Michelin Desert Front tyre.
It seems great so far, is a little slippery on the tar.
Great offroad..
I am running it at max pressure so far 33psi..
Will air it down soon.
funsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #117
MANXMAN
Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post

Have been searching for a more aggressive 21" tubeless front tire than the TKC80 I am using now and it seems the Pirelli Scorpion Rally might be a winner. Built for big bikes like my GS or the KTM.

While researching this tire in the KTM section, Inmate Yellow Pig states that it might be his new favorite front dirt tire for his 990 and says it is better than the D606, D908 and the MT21.

Although I don't care about how it works at high speed on pavement, it appears it is better than expected for those who have tried it. It will likely wear quickly but the trip I want it for is only about 3000kms and is almost all off pavement so it will surely last long enough for my needs.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #118
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Decided to re-build my Woody's rear 2.5 18"R and make it a 3.5 17"R.
I do like the current set up, in slower going almost single track type stuff the maneuvering of the bike is great and I also like the tyre choices/availability.
Here's hoping I'll have few regrets on the decision.

21F
MT21 or D606
Don't think I'll use the HP Starcross as it's a 100/90 profile and less fender clearance (15mm back to 6mm).

17R
130/80 D606 on the rear for those short dirty gnarly trips
(wish they had a 140 size) narrow yes but will it work? Worth a try right.

140/80 E07 for the longer hauls.

Or might just run old faithful but super expensive TKC80's as a proven tyre to do both jobs.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #119
Harry Potter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
21front -17 rear

Anybody else have comments or experiences on tubeless tire selections that are an upgrade to the TKC80s? Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #120
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Anybody else have comments or experiences on tubeless tire selections that are an upgrade to the TKC80s? Thanks
I've found this combo works REALLY well and lasts too.
This is as dirt-oriented tire combo as I'd use on the 1200GS.

F21
Pirelli Scorpion Rally

R17
Mitas e-09 Dakar